PDA

View Full Version : ISO Bread Recipe for a Novice

Romandub
01-15-2007, 07:41 AM
All these posts about bread baking make me want to try...however, we are in the midst of an ice-storm (not unheard of, but fairly unusual for central Texas) so I can't go to the store. I have all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, etc. on hand. Nothing more exotic than that....all the recipes I have seen call for oats or something else I don't have. Can anyone recommend a basic bread recipe for me to try that only uses the basics? I am in the mood to experiment on this cold, wintry day in Austin. (And I say that with profound apologies to our northern friends who are probably rolling their eyes that schools and businesses are closing because it is 32 degrees and raining! We just don't know how to drive in this stuff, ya'll!!!) :D

sneezles
01-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I'd say Moomie's Buns would be a great place to start with yeast bread. And there's nothing like the smell of warm bread on a day like this! It's still raining here and the temps are falling but no ice yet!

Moomie's Hamburger Buns
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg
3 1/4 cups flour*
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast

Place all ingredients in your bread machine. Select dough. Allow to run cycle.

Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 pieces. With each piece, slap into a bun shape. Usually four or five slaps will do it. Place on greased cookie sheets or your bun pans, cover; rise about 30 to 40 minutes.

Bake in preheated 375įF oven for 12 to 15 minutes till golden. Cool on wire racks. I like to add a teaspoon of onion powder and about 1/2 teaspoon dried onion to the dough in the bread machine. It makes a light onion-y flavor that is wonderful!

Ed. Note: Moomieís right; you really canít go wrong with these buns. If you donít have a bread machine, simply mix and knead the dough by whatever method you prefer. Let it rise for about an hour before shaping into eight big buns.

Romandub
01-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Sneezles! Do you think I could use that recipe and just make a loaf instead of the buns?

emncar
01-15-2007, 08:52 AM
I make this recipe a lot if I just want a basic bread:

http://www.recipezaar.com/46501
Basic Machine French Bread
1 1/2 cups water, at about 105 degrees
4 cups flour (a flour with at 4 grms protien/serving is best)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I use kosher)
2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast

Add to the bread pan in the order yours needs.
For mine it is water first.
Then I add half the flour and the salt followed by the rest of the flour and the yeast on top.
This will run well on the normal, rapid, and delay start cycles.

You can adapt the recipe if you don't have a bread machine. (Proof the yeast and knead by hand).

dorothyntototoo
01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
I made a wonderful Ciabatta last January & posted the recipe with photo http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=84529&highlight=ciabatta. You have to start the sponge 12 hours ahead so it won't work for you today, but try it sometime.

hlburi
01-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi! Not sure what kind of "bread" recipe you are looking for. But we made these in my Italian Winter Soups and Bread class over the weekend and they were incredibly tasty and easy.

Panini - Italian Rolls

1 Tbl Dry Yeast
1 1/4 Cups Water, warm, about 100 degrees
3 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour *see note below
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for brushing

* For Pane Integrale, or wheat rolls, use 2 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour or bread flour and 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour

1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and allow to stand until foamy, a few minutes. Mix the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor. Blend flour and salt for a minute. With machine running, add the yeast mixture in a steady stream. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 4 minutes in a stand mixer, 1 1/2 minutes in a food processor. Transfer dough to a lightly floured board, and knead by hand for a minute or so, adding more flour if necessary to produce a soft but not too sticky dough. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Put bowl in a warm spot away from drafts and allow dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

2. Ready a parchment lined baking sheet. When dough has doubled, transfer to a lightly floured board and cut into 10 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place on the lined baking sheet. Brush a little extra virgin olive oil on each roll and with the side of your hand, press down into the center of each roll to make a deep indentation. Cover the rolls with a cotton towel and set aside to rise for about 1 hour.

3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

4. When rolls have risen for 1 hour, gently press into the indentation again and transfer pan to the preheated oven. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a rack.

Yield: 10 rolls

sneezles
01-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Sneezles! Do you think I could use that recipe and just make a loaf instead of the buns?

Yes, it's a pretty versatile dough and would do fine as a loaf!