PDA

View Full Version : Question re: OJ and KA Whole Grains Cookbook

ljt2r
01-15-2007, 09:20 AM
For those of you who have made some of the recipes in KA's new WHole Grains Cookbook--do you think it matters whether you use fresh squeezed OJ (like you would for lemons, for exs) or store bought? I was thinking of subbing in some squeezed clementines since that is what I have around. :)

TIA, Laura

lindrusso
01-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't think it would matter. I'd prefer to use fresh myself, but I didn't want to squeeze a whole orange for 1 tablespoon of juice - just easier to use the store bought - it's always in my fridge anyway. :)

ClaraB
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't think it would be a problem to sub clementine juice - from what I understand, you don't use the juice to add orange flavor, but to "condition" the flour (or something to that effect). Of course, if I had clementines I'd rather eat them ;) .

bobmark226
01-15-2007, 09:55 AM
.....from what I understand, you don't use the juice to add orange flavor, but to "condition" the flour (or something to that effect). Of course, if I had clementines I'd rather eat them ;) .

They use it in bread recipes to take the tannic (bitter) edge off whole wheat flour because they feel it improves the overall taste. Her question was so broad, though, I don't know if that's what she's asking about as opposed to an orange flavored baked good.

Bob

Jazzmatazz49
01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Since I rarely use orange juice except in the whole wheat breads, I freeze it in ice cube trays and then store in ziplocks in the freezer. I do the same thing with tomato paste.

ljt2r
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
They use it in bread recipes to take the tannic (bitter) edge off whole wheat flour because they feel it improves the overall taste. Her question was so broad, though, I don't know if that's what she's asking about as opposed to an orange flavored baked good.

Bob

"She" is here as much as the rest of you. To be honest, it is a flavoring--but since it is in the KA WHole Grains book there is no real way to tell if it is also supposed to be counteracting the tannic edge of the whole wheat. That is why I didn't clarify--I am perfectly confident of its tastiness, I just have no idea if it matters how concentrated the OJ is for the other reasons KA likes it with whole grains. So I meant it in reference to all those times KA calls for it by the tablespoon in that book.

Jazzmatazz--that is a great idea (about the ice cubes). I too prefer to eat my clementines, but I am thinking of making the Orange Spelt muffins and I don't feel like going to the grocery store. :)

Laura