PDA

View Full Version : ISO old Moosewood/Katzen Hummus w/scallions & oj

bobmark226
01-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I've got a hankering for a hummus, a long time favorite I made for many years, that is either from the original Moosewood book, or the first Molly Katzen, Enchanted Broccoli Forest, those two oversized paperbacks, one tan, the other purple. I don't think I have those two books any more and if I do, they're in a box somewhere here. I could probably get some of it right, using orange juice instead of traditional lemon, and adding green onions, but this also had the addition of six or seven spices that I really loved.

Does anyone have this available and could you possibly post it for me? I don't need instructions, just ingredients. I also don't need any other hummus recipes, as I've got plenty I like a lot!

TIA,
Bob

Lauren
01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Bob,

I have the old book with the tan cover.

Here's the ingredients:

1 1/2 cups raw chickpeas, soaked 1.5 hours and boiled until soft
3 medium cloves minced
1.5 tsp salt
dash of tamari
juice from 2 medium lemons
3/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup (packed) finely-minced parsely
lots of black pepper and dash of cayenne
1/4 cup minced scallion

gertdog
01-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Bob, I have the "revised" editions of both books, so it's possible the recipes I found are tweaked from the original editions. The Enchanted Broccoli Forest has a version with oj and lots of spices, but no scallions; the Moosewood Cookbook has a version with scallions, but no oj and spices. Here are the ingredient lists for both, in case one rings a bell:

Orange Hummus:

2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp each: ground cumin, ground coriander, ground ginger, dry mustard, turmeric, mild paprika
3/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup tahini
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. cider vinegar
3 med. garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. soy sauce
cayenne to taste

Hummus:

2 to 3 cloves garlic, sliced
a large handful of parsley
2 healthy scallions, in 1-inch pieces
6 T. tahini
6 T. fresh lemon juice
3/4 to 1 tsp. salt
Optional: cayenne and cumin to taste.

bobmark226
01-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Bob, I have the "revised" editions of both books, so it's possible the recipes I found are tweaked from the original editions. The Enchanted Broccoli Forest has a version with oj and lots of spices, but no scallions; the Moosewood Cookbook has a version with scallions, but no oj and spices.

Orange Hummus:

1/2 tsp each: ground cumin, ground coriander, ground ginger, dry mustard, turmeric, mild paprika
3/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup tahini
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. cider vinegar
3 med. garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. soy sauce
cayenne to taste

Thanks Laura and Stephanie for the quick responses. That first one is definitely it. Since I posted, I'd written down "cumin, ginger, mustard" so I guess my memory is better than I was thinking. :) I suspect I must have taken the "healthy" scallions from the other book and combined the two recipes at one time.

I appreciate this a lot, as I've really been craving this one!

Bob

kima
01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I have made the first recipe many times and love it. I do cut the tahini in about half though for less fat and not quite such a thick texture.

helene
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks, I have the book and never though of making this version of hummus with OJ. I make mine with fresh lemon juice and I add slices of roasted red pepper for color.