PDA

View Full Version : tomato sauce sub?

Apricot
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Help! I want to make CI's Skilliet Lasagna (posted below) and purchased all the ingredients except the tomato sauce. I have another can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste and crushed tomoatoes? Would any of those make an acceptable substitute or should I just run back out to the store?

Cooks Country Skillet Lasagna
4-6 servings

1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, minced
salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb meatloaf mixture (8 ounces ground beef, and 8 ounces ground pork - 1lb ground turkey will also work too)
8 ounces curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths (10)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup) (make sure you use the really good stuff since there's not a lot of other flavors going on here)
pepper
8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese (about 1 cup) (I used part skim)
1/4 cup minced fresh basil

1. Pour the tomatoes with their juice into a quart measuring cup. Add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.

2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the meatloaf mix and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.

4. Sprinkle the noodle pieces evenly over the meat. Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the pasta - don't stir. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.

5. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dot heaping tablespoons of the ricotta over the noodles. Cover the skillet and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.

6. Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the extra Parmesan separately.

vbak
01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
I have thinned out tomato paste before.

sneezles
01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I have thinned out tomato paste before.

That would be my suggestion. 1/2 can of paste and enough water to make 1 cup.

Apricot
01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank you! I'll give that a try. It's half of a small can, right?

Curiosity Hears
01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Personally, I would just use the crushed tomatoes and enjoy the meal. It would just make the dish a little more rustic and since it is called country skillet lasagna that is the desired result anyway.

Sararwelch
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd puree a can of tomatoes in the blender and add some tomato paste to thicken.

ADM
01-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I once bought a can of tomato paste with this helpful information, for emergencies:

Use undiluted = tomato paste.
Add 2 cans water = tomato sauce.
Add 3 cans water = tomato juice.
It even had a simple recipe for making your own (healthy) catsup.

Apricot
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
I ended up using half of a small can of tomato paste mixed with enough water to make 8 oz. It worked perfectly and made for a delicious dinner. The skillet lasagna was very easy and tasty and done in under 30 minutes. Thank you all for your helpful advice! I was so grateful I didn't have to run out to the store again.