PDA

View Full Version : Question about crab

sfarler
01-24-2007, 09:21 AM
DH and I bought some crab legs at Costco last weekend. Since they were frozen when we got them, we put them in the freezer as soon as we got home. Anyway, Saturday we had some of the legs and fixed them by just dropping them into some boiling water. (BTW, they were fantastic!)

But we have half of the legs we bought left in the freezer. Can I use this kind of crab in crab cakes? I've always used lump crab meat for crab cakes.

Thanks.

Peggy
01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Sue - Did you buy King Crab Legs? If so, I've never used King Crab for crab cakes so I'm not sure how that would work out. But I am replying to your post to bump it back to the top in case anyone else has experience with this.:)

Peggy

Canice
01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Hah, I'd attempted a response earlier myself, also asking if they were King Crab (the only kind I've seen frozen). I've never had it myself, but if I were going to use Dungeness crab -the only type I'm familiar with- I would chop the heck out of that leg meat. I'd want a consistent texture throughout, and not get big chunks of crab.

gperls
01-25-2007, 04:20 AM
I've been in the same predicament as you before. I made crab cakes out of the leftovers, and they weren't as good as cakes made from lump crab. They come out tougher. I think it's due to that pink "skin" they have.

I found a better use for the leftovers. I make some kind of oscar dish, like veal oscar, and use the crab for the topping along with the hollandaise sauce and asparagus.

Sararwelch
01-25-2007, 07:38 AM
You could make a seafood chowder with the crab, shrimp, scallops and some kind of white fish. I used orange roughy, it came out really well. I used the crab shells and shrimp shells to make stock first.

sfarler
01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they are king crab legs.

I was thinking the same as gperls said that the crab cakes might be tough.

I think I'll take Sarawelch's suggestion and try adding the chopped crab meat to a chowder at the last minute.

Thanks again. I love that I can always count on help from this bb. It's the best!