PDA

View Full Version : ISO Dinner Ideas for leftover Eye of Round

bbenedict
01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
We've had it with roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus. I've been checking out the CL recipe finder for recipes, but nothing is really sending me.

SO, if you had some leftover eye of round roast, what recipe would you use it in?

Thanks!
Bonnie

MusicMom
01-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I'd shred it, season it, and make beef burritos.

Peweh
01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Really good cheese-steak sandwiches!!

krispy spo
01-30-2007, 06:06 AM
We are having this for dinner tonight:

Unbelievable Beef Barley Soup

1 pound cooked london broil, diced
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, fat removed
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup quick cooking barley
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 envelope (1.4 ounces) demi-glace or au jus mix

Heat the oil on medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the meat onion and carrots, stirring from time to time.

Coarsely chop the mushrooms, adding them to the pot as you chop. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add broth, water and barley. Cover the pot and begin bringing the broth to a boil. Add garlic, Worcestershire sauce and thyme, keeping the pot covered as much as possible.

When the soup comes to a rolling boil, keep it from boiling over by reducing the heat to medium or cracking the pot lid. Add the au jus and stir until it dissolves. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the barley is tender.

Serves 6.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Gracie
01-30-2007, 07:12 AM
One of our very favorite recipes - I can type it by heart:

From Weight Watchers Magazine cookbook (I forget which one I have them all)

Easy Asian Beef Noodles

8 oz eye round, cut into thin strips
6 scallions
2 tsp sesame oil divided
2 C coleslaw mix
1 1/2 C water
2 packages beef ramen noodles (sometimes I just use plain asian long noodles and a beef bouillon packet instead - it's less fat)
Soy sauce

Saute eye round and scallions in 1 tsp sesame oil until beef is cooked.

** You could just cut your cooked eye round and saute until the scallions are soft.

Remove from pan. Add 1 tsp sesame oil and saute coleslaw mix until a bit softened. Remove from pan and add to beef and scallions.

Put water in frying pan and add broken up noodles and 1 package of the beef flavor. Keep the other packet for another use.

when noodles are cooked, do not drain water (there won't be much left) add beef, scallions and coleslaw back in to the noodles and add 1 T soy sauce (or to taste) and mix well.

Loren

bbenedict
01-31-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I found a recipe on the homepage for a cheesesteak that got great reviews and I always love burritos. Alas, no flour tortillas or the needed cheese, so last night we served it with salad and the last of potatoes (for my DH) and a snippet of brown rice for myself.

The soup sounds great and I would throw that together except we've been eating soup for lunch every day. Looks like a great recipe to file away for a later date. Krispy spo, what did you think of it?

The Easy Asian Beef Noodles sound like the ticket for tonight. Thanks Gracie.

Thanks everyone.

Bonnie

bbenedict
01-31-2007, 06:06 PM
One of our very favorite recipes - I can type it by heart:

From Weight Watchers Magazine cookbook (I forget which one I have them all)

Easy Asian Beef Noodles

8 oz eye round, cut into thin strips
6 scallions
2 tsp sesame oil divided
2 C coleslaw mix
1 1/2 C water
2 packages beef ramen noodles (sometimes I just use plain asian long noodles and a beef bouillon packet instead - it's less fat)
Soy sauce

Saute eye round and scallions in 1 tsp sesame oil until beef is cooked.

** You could just cut your cooked eye round and saute until the scallions are soft.

Remove from pan. Add 1 tsp sesame oil and saute coleslaw mix until a bit softened. Remove from pan and add to beef and scallions.

Put water in frying pan and add broken up noodles and 1 package of the beef flavor. Keep the other packet for another use.

when noodles are cooked, do not drain water (there won't be much left) add beef, scallions and coleslaw back in to the noodles and add 1 T soy sauce (or to taste) and mix well.

Loren

Loren, we made this for dinner this evening and it was delicious. Just what I was looking for. Totally different flavors from my eye of round AND we've got leftovers for tomorrow night. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. This will definitely be a recipe I repeat and often. After the green onions had softened, I added in the cooked beef to heat through. Worked like a champ. Now I need to find a recipe for the remainder of the cole slaw mix.

You don't happen to have the nutritional stats on this do you?

Thanks again! Bonnie

Gracie
02-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Bonnie - I'm so glad you liked this! I buy eye round specifically for this recipe. I also have trouble using the extra coleslaw mix.

I will look for the stats when I get home. However the original recipe was written for leftover sirloin or some other cut of meat that was way more fatty than eye round which is the leanest cut you can get. So the nutritional stats in the book are misleading but you can use them as a worst-case scenario.

I don't have Mastercook but maybe someone can input the recipe and give us a more accurate idea.

Loren