PDA

View Full Version : Justice gone amok???

kima
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Has anyone else heard of the case of a young man (17 years old) in Georgia who was handed a ten year prison sentence for receiving oral sex from a consenting 15 year old girl? This boy has never been in trouble with the law before and is an excellent athlete and student. He will also be registered as sex offender for the rest of his life! :eek: Complete insanity.

I would urge everyone who sees the ridiculous nature of this case to sign the petition.

This could be your son someday! :mad: :mad: :eek:

Details here:

http://www.wilsonappeal.com/index.php

funnybone
01-30-2007, 06:44 PM
WOW - how insane is that. :eek:

I remember when we lived in GA (during the Clinton/Monica scandal) one of the radio shows was discussing the whole thing and mentioned that oral sex was illegal in that state (and some others). I have never heard of anyone being arrested for it though. :confused: :mad:

mbrogier
01-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Why is it only the guys get in trouble for these statutory crimes? Outrageously, I'll bet if this kid looked more like the cover of the latest JCrew catalog, he wouldn't be in jail to start with.

I signed the petition. I don't think the kid should get jail time or be a registered sex offender. I'm beginning to think that the statutory rape laws should just be taken off the books.

Goin' Coastal
01-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Being a GA law, will signatures from other states be counted?

kima
01-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Being a GA law, will signatures from other states be counted?

I don't know but it even had a box to tick off if you were from out of the US so I hope that means your signature will count.

I can't get this story out of my mind. I picture that poor boy in jail....how insane.

When will common sense prevail?
Getting a blow job by a consenting girl does not make you dangerous to society.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

boisewinesnob
01-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Why is it only the guys get in trouble for these statutory crimes? Outrageously, I'll bet if this kid looked more like the cover of the latest JCrew catalog, he wouldn't be in jail to start with.

Yeah, and if he weren't black and the girl white.....maybe his "crime" wouldn't be so horrible. Or wait, wasn't that her crime?

I heard about this a while back on another forum I participate on and signed the petition at that time.
Not to say I think sexual activity for kids is a great idea or anything, but holy cow; putting this kid in prison is a load of crap.

lindrusso
01-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Not only is it outrageous that he was both charged and sentenced, but it's outrageous that they allow these kinds of offenses to be lumped in with pedophiles and rapists on the sex offender registries! They don't always list the specific crime on those registries, so when you find someone in your area, you don't know if you're looking at a pedophile or some unlucky guy whose girlfriend or girlfriend's parents used the law against him.

I don't think statutory rape should be lumped in there either - in cases where it's, for example, an 18-year-old and his 16-year-old girlfriend having consensual sex.

They need to get the oral sex laws off the books and differentiate between boyfriend-girlfriend sexual activity and that of the REAL predators. :rolleyes:

Having two boys............it DOES scare me. :(

lindrusso
01-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Here's a very good article on this case:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson

Sounds like he's got media attention now, so hopefully that will help. :(

leightx
01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
This part is absolutely infuriating (from the ESPN article):

The position of Barker and the district attorney, McDade, who refused to comment, is that Wilson is guilty under the law and there is no room for mercy, though the facts seem to say they simply chose not to give it to Wilson. At the same time this trial was under way, a local high school teacher, a white female, was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a student -- a true case of child molestation. The teacher received 90 days. Wilson received 3,650 days.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The prosecutor (Barker) sounds like a real @sshat. I also don't understand why the jury wasn't told that is was a 10 year minimum sentence.

jmarie
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
This is a very sad case. I wonder how many others are in jail? Frankly, when a law like this is passed, limiting the amount of time a teen has to spend in jail, then all former convictions out to be looked at and they should be released if it was conscentual.

Hopefully, if the state of Georgia realizes that the entire nation is looking at them, they may do something about this. :mad: And I agree about both each party to the act being as guilty as the other.