PDA

View Full Version : Crooked jar lid won't come off

Beth
02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Our cookie jar (or sooon to be ex-cookie jar) is a glass canister jar with a screw on lid. We just put chocolate chip cookies in it and the lid is on crooked and won't come off. It seems welded on. Any thoughts on how we might get it off, or is it just time to find another cookie jar?

Meganator
02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
What is the lid made of? If it is metal, my go-to solution is to run really hot water over it for a while.

Beth
02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
It's a glass jar and metal lid.

Hammster
02-06-2007, 03:49 PM
This one puts me in mind of the WD-40 thread. I'd say set the jar, lid side down, on a counter and spray a little bit of WD-40 (or penetrating oil if you have some.) into the seam where the threads of the lid contact the threads of the jar. Go all the way around the circumference. I think if you are careful and only use a little bit, it's likely you won't contaminate too many cookies (if any). Let it sit for a while 30 mins to an hour and then see if the lid will loosen.
When you get ready to try to loosen it, first try to tighten it a bit more and then loosen it. Seems counterintuitive, but it sometimes helps. Oh also, try to do the tightening, then loosening technique with the lid still facing down so the WD-40 doesn't want to run back down the jar.
I work in the manufacturing world and this kind of thing happens all the time with screws that bind as they get screwed into threaded items. And a penetrating oil or WD-40 generally solves the problem.

Beth
02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I was going to add that neither heat nor cold have had any impact. Hadn't thoughtof WD-40 with food, but worst case would be replacing the cookies and not the jar. We did try tightening and then loosening. I noticed the lid has a couple of dings in it. I'm not sure if those happened before the lid got stuck or while trying to open it. They haven't been there long. The boys are ready to cut into the lid, figuring that breaking the glass wouldmean broken glass and they couldn't eat the cookies. :D

cookinator
02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Yes Beth, I wanted to add that I would wear my dishwashing gloves, in case the glass breaks. Or rap a towel around the glass.

Hammster
02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I was going to add that neither heat nor cold have had any impact. Hadn't thoughtof WD-40 with food, but worst case would be replacing the cookies and not the jar. We did try tightening and then loosening. I noticed the lid has a couple of dings in it. I'm not sure if those happened before the lid got stuck or while trying to open it. They haven't been there long. The boys are ready to cut into the lid, figuring that breaking the glass wouldmean broken glass and they couldn't eat the cookies. :D

The dings could be problematic if they are in the threaded area. Otherwise probably not. Give the WD-40 a try. I'm also thinking that if the lid really starts to move and it looks like it will come off, then turn the jar over before the cookies have a chance to touch the threaded area where the WD-40 is. Could save a few more cookies that way. :D
Oh cookinator, great advice!!

Gumbeaux
02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Try Hammster's solution first. If that doesn't work you can use needlenose pliers to gently peel back the lid until it unscrews.

Hammster
02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Try Hammster's solution first. If that doesn't work you can use needlenose pliers to gently peel back the lid until it unscrews.

Good advice Gumbeaux. In case my way doesn't work, she could get the jar open without too much damage and no broken glass. Just a tweaked lid.

Beth
02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
The WD-40 didn't so a thing. Can't budge it wither way. I am wondering how much I really care about some store bought cookies. They are Famous Amos, but gee whiz. I think it's about time to start with new cookies and a new jar. If someone else wants to pull the lid out to rescue the cookies, I'll let them. I'm just not ready to be that desparate for some cookies. Of course, that didn't stop me from trying last night, later last night, this afternoon and again tonight. :p

Peweh
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Well my first thought upon reading the replies was if I have to be stranded on a desert island with 2 posters, I'd want them to be Hammster & Gumbeaux because they can solve ANYthing!! Now I'm at a loss. If it's humid where you are, would a few minutes in the freezer help??

When all else fails here, DH insists on BFI - Brute Force & Ignorance! So I'd be handing HIM the jar... :D

Beth
02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I consider myself pretty resourceful, but hot water, freezer and WD-40, even all the brut force DH and I could muster -- and with the help of a rubber gripper, couldn't make the jar even consider moving. I was considering a new cookie jar for our new kitcjen. I think it's sign, And it's not like the Famos Amos cookies were the only chocolate in the house. ;) Now, to pick a new cookie jar -- knowing full well neither of the ones I was thinking of will still be there when I get a chance to go back to the stores.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just glad we didn't break the jar and wind up with the dog atthe emergency vet with another cut paw. I'm in no hurry to do that again. :rolleyes:

beacooker
02-07-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm very relieved to hear they are just store-bought cookies - reading the thread, I had been concerned about the plight of those poor defenseless, delicious chocolate chip cookies! But since they are only store-bought, they don't seem like such a big loss. ;)

Hammster
02-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just glad we didn't break the jar and wind up with the dog atthe emergency vet with another cut paw. I'm in no hurry to do that again. :rolleyes:

Hopefully the suggestions can help another time. Sorry you lost your cookie jar to the cross thread monster. And good to hear you didn't lose cookies that you had lovingly prepared yourself. Sounds like it was time for a new jar. This time just get one with a lid that sits on top of the jar and doesn't screw on. ;)

Well my first thought upon reading the replies was if I have to be stranded on a desert island with 2 posters, I'd want them to be Hammster & Gumbeaux because they can solve ANYthing!!

With the exception of a stuck cookie jar lid. LOL.

Beth
02-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Yes, now it time for the new vexation -- pull off top is important, as is being reaasonable air tight. But how BIG should the cookie jar be???? :D

I have seen some jars at Cost Plus that were pretty big, but the last one I passed up was at TJ Maxx and I thought it might be too small. I'm typing this with images of Alton Brown talking about the qualities of the perfect cookie jar in my head. :p

Hammster
02-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Yes, now it time for the new vexation -- pull off top is important, as is being reaasonable air tight. But how BIG should the cookie jar be???? :D

I have seen some jars at Cost Plus that were pretty big, but the last one I passed up was at TJ Maxx and I thought it might be too small. I'm typing this with images of Alton Brown talking about the qualities of the perfect cookie jar in my head. :p

We have a Rubbermaid container that fits perfectly inside our cookie jar. So, we can put the cookies in the Rubbermaid, seal that container and it fits inside the cookie jar and so doesn't just look like a Rubbermaid container full of cookies sitting on the counter. Of course, it has to be a cookie jar you can't see through to use this method.

Beth
02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
I've been a glass jar on the counter gal for so long that it's hard for me to think to the cookie jars of my childhood (the kind you don't want the kids to break - which is probably how I came to the $5 glass jar cookie jar in the first place -- its predecessor got broken). Besides, when my dad stops over, he always checks the cookie jar. It would be hard to give it a glance across the room if he couldn;t see through it, But I do use the sealed containers in the pantry for special cookies.