PDA

View Full Version : So when they say grease the pan.....

applecrisp
02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
So when a recipe says to grease the muffin pan, what do you use? Spray, oil, butter or.....?

I was making some banana muffins yesterday I just did a super quick grease using a tiny bit of veg oil. I was using a non-stick Chicago Metallic pan (great pan by the way), and the pan almost always releases well.

Just wondering what you use and recommend. I am wary of using the non-stick sprays since I often see non-stick pan mfrs suggest not using it since it can leave a sticky residue. And, I have had that problem with skillets. When cooking and the recipe says to coat a non-stick saute pan, I tend to use my Misto sprayer filled with olive oil.

Thanks,

Grace
02-14-2007, 10:41 AM
I use foil muffin tin liners. Little to no clean up, and the muffins stay fresher (IMO). I don't care much for the paper liners, but I love the foil ones. :)

Barrie
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I use the Pam baking spray, it's a combination of flour and nonstick spray.

Meganator
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I nearly always use transfat-free Crisco for greasing baking pans, although for muffins I just use the liners instead.

Off topic, but I read recently that all Crisco is going to be trans-fat free soon. They have come up with a formula that they believe produces results equal to the trans-fat-ful one. I don't use it much anyway, mainly for pie crusts and greasing pans.

RebelsLGB
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
i use the pam baking spray as well. My pans are non-stick, and i've never had a problem with using the spray. I wash the pans in the dishwasher after each use, so i'd think that would remove any remaining residue.

Miss_Liss
02-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm a traditionalist in this instance (ie how my mama and granny taught me :) ). If I'm not using liners, I almost always grease the tin with whatever the main fat is used in the batter - butter or margarine, which I swipe around with a paper towel, or vegetable oil if making carrot cake muffins etc.

When greasing a cake tin I nearly always use butter/margarine swiped around and then floured, though I use cocoa for this when making a chocolate cake. The only time I deviate is when making boiled fruitcake, for which I use a parchment paper swag and collar.

MissFood
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I always use Pam. I'm not quite sure why, but the only time I use Baker's Joy (or Pam with flour) is when I'm baking a layer cake or bundt cake (never tried the breadcrumb trick). I always just use plain or butter flavored Pam when I'm doing quickbreads or muffins.

TKay
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I usually use Pam unless I'm making a cake or something. In that instance, I use Crisco (unless, of course, a recipe calls for something specific--like grease and flour, then I use crisco and flour).
I hate the gunk the Pam leaves on the pans around the muffin tins though.

PamN
02-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I use Pam on muffin tins just because it's fast and easy to cover the whole thing, even in the corners. I always use Crisco to grease cake and other larger pans, though. Butter is part water, but Crisco is all fat, so it does a better releasing job, I think, and I don't notice a difference in taste compared to butter. I don't use bundt pans, but I've read that Baker's Joy (or other spray with flour) does the best job on them.

Beth H
02-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I use the Pam baking spray, it's a combination of flour and nonstick spray.

I love this product - especially for Bundt cakes and other kinds of cakes. For muffins, I do use the muffin liners as I think it makes clean-up easier. Although DH prefers muffins w/o them - too bad unless he wants to clean up the pan! ;)

Dana G
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I too love the cooking spray with flour in it. I use it for bundt pans and muffins. I prefer the Crisco brand as the Baker's Joy has clogged on me twice. Maybe I just buy a faulty can. I have not had trouble so far with the Crisco with flour spray. I have not tried Pam with flour.

cookin_healthy
02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I've been using shortening to grease my Chicago Metallic bread pan and it works great. I was out, so used nonstick spray instead -- the loaf stuck! Does anyone use anything but shortening?

Kay Henderson
02-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I use original Pam on my Ekco non-stick muffin pans. I have not had a problem with a sticky residue.

Kay

LLR
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I have a stick of Crisco in my pantry reserved just for greasing my pans. It always works for me. I have a few pans that have the residue after using the cooking spray so I did away with that and went back to Crisco again and I will stay with it.

ChinaLady
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I always use olive oil in my pampered chef spritzer! Works like a dream.

goofygirl
02-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I use a professional baking spray called Bak-kleen. It takes the place of greasing and flouring, and I don't seem to get a residue on my pans from it. You can find it at Smart & Final.

Valerie226
02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
I also use Pam. IMO the time you get a sticky residue is if the spray coats an unused part of the pan and the spray bakes on repeatedly. since muffin tins are usually full there's no problem and it's easy to get into corners. I use it in cake and loaf pans too. I seldom use Pam on cookie sheets. too much area is not covered by the cookies & the residue builds up.

Varaile
02-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I too use olive oil in my pampered chef spritzer. I use it for muffins, breads, cakes, whatever. It didn't seem right to me to be buying a second product when I've got a great multipurpose one right in my cupboard.

Tho that Pam w/flour spray for bundts certainly has me intrigued! :D