PDA

View Full Version : Coleslaw Mix to use up...ideas?

dneilson
02-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Greetings from my kitchen to yours...

I purchased a 16 oz bag of coleslaw mix to make Baked Egg Rolls. Changed my mind on the egg rolls and need to use up the bag--expires today.

Any ideas on what to make with it??? (not a fan of coleslaw--too cold for cold salad today)

TIA!!

Dolores

mom2garret
02-15-2007, 08:57 AM
I use it when making a veggie soup (Weight Watcher 0 point). Use it for anything calling for shredded cabbage.
Jodi

avariell
02-15-2007, 09:02 AM
I made the Peanutty Asian Noodle Salad recently and added a bag of coleslaw mix - I think it would be good in any Asian stir-fry or salad.

Goldie
02-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I love this dish - super easy and yummy. Of course you could use pork or chicken if you wanted. Sorry to say I'm not sure where I got it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

MOO SHU BEEF

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Beef Pork
Quick And Easy Success

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Ib beef round tip steaks -- 1/8" to 1/4" thick
3 cups packaged coleslaw mix
2/3 cup sliced green onions
1 Tbsp cornstarch -- dissolved in 1/4 cup water
8 medium flour tortillas -- warmed
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
Marinade:
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
2 tsp sugar

Cut steaks lengthwise in half and then crosswise into thin strips. In medium bowl, combine marinade ingredients; add beef, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes.

Remove beef from marinade. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef (1/2 at a time) and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Add marinade and heat Add coleslaw mix, green onions and cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and bubbly.

To assemble, spread one side of tortilla with 2 tsp hoisin sauce. Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture in center of each tortilla. Fold bottom edge up over filling. Fold sides to center, overlapping edges.

Nutrition information per serving: 501 calories; 34 g protein; 62 g carbohydrate; 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat); 6.3 mg iron; 1,055 mg sodium; 69 mg cholesterol.

Cuisine:
"Asian"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 573 Calories; 14g Fat (22.7% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 96g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 1336mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : clipped from somewhere....

Hammster
02-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Isn't the date on the bag the "sell by" date and not the expiration date? I'm pretty sure the slaw will be good for about a week past the date.

Anyway, another good use for shredded cabbage is on tacos. Use it instead of shredded lettuce. It's commonly used on fish tacos, but it can be used on any taco filling.

funniegrrl
02-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes, the date is not an "expiration date" but a SELL BY date. You can use it as long as it looks/tastes/smells OK.

Gracie
02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
This is one of the few reasons I buy coleslaw mix. I need to branch out!!

Easy Asian Beef Noodles

8 oz eye round, cut into thin strips
6 scallions
2 tsp sesame oil divided
2 C coleslaw mix
1 1/2 C water
2 packages beef ramen noodles (sometimes I just use plain asian long noodles and a beef bouillon packet instead - it's less fat)
Soy sauce

Saute eye round and scallions in 1 tsp sesame oil until beef is cooked.

Remove from pan. Add 1 tsp sesame oil and saute coleslaw mix until a bit softened. Remove from pan and add to beef and scallions.

Put water in frying pan and add broken up noodles and 1 package of the beef flavor. Keep the other packet for another use.

when noodles are cooked, do not drain water (there won't be much left) add beef, scallions and coleslaw back in to the noodles and add 1 T soy sauce (or to taste) and mix well.

Loren

dneilson
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Isn't the date on the bag the "sell by" date and not the expiration date?

Yes, that is correct. However, it also becomes my personal "expiration" date when it starts to show lack of freshness. After tomorrow, I think the freshness of this produce will be compromised --to the point I am considering tossing it.

Thank you Jodie, Josie, Goldie, Hammster, funniegrrl and Loren. Goldie and Loren...those 2 dishes sound wonderful!! I have plenty of filet tips in the freezer.

I thank you for being generous with your time.

I'm open to more favorites. Shredding a head can be such a pita.

Dolores

MISSINDI
02-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Mmm, Samosa Quesadillas. Delicious and super simple to make. Let me know if you want the recipe. :)

re121258
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
This is an old recipe that is a variation on sloppy joes. You can serve it on sandwich rolls instead of the potatoes if you like. Though for this recipe we actually prefer the potatoes.

Exported by Living Cookbook

Title: Snappy Joes
Categories: Beef, Low Calorie, Sandwich
Yield: 8 Servings

1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1/2 c Green Pepper, chopped
1/4 c Onion, chopped
8 oz Tomato Sauce
1/2 c Barbecue Sauce
1 c Cabbage With Carrot (Coleslaw
- Mix), shredded
8 Potato, Baked

Cook the ground beef, green pepper, and onion in a large skillet for
4 to 5 minutes or till beef is no longer pink. Drain off fat. Stir in
the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, and cabbage with carrot. Bring to
boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.

Spoon some of the meat mixture into each bun or over each baked
potato.

Recipe Source: Low Calorie 1993

Rae
02-15-2007, 01:04 PM
This is one of the few reasons I buy coleslaw mix. I need to branch out!!

Easy Asian Beef Noodles

This is the one I was going to suggest too! Very easy and yummy. I usually substitute curly Japanese noodles for the Ramen because they have less fat and I can get them at the Coop.

dneilson
02-15-2007, 10:16 PM
MISSINDI, re121258 and Rae...

Moo Shu Beef is on the menu for tomorrow evening and the Snappy Joes sound simple and delicious (much will depend on the quality of barbecue sauce, of course).

Your efforts are appreciated.

Have a good night.

Dolores

celestialchef
02-16-2007, 06:50 AM
This is really good and actually a 30 minute meal. I use hosin sauce instead of the plum sauce. I also usually add chili/garlic or sriracha sauce because I like things spicy. I also use most of the cole slaw bag and have also used broccoli slaw.

Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Rachael Ray - 30-Minute Meals

Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes

1 pound chicken breast, cut thin
grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
1 cup packaged shredded cabbage and carrot mix
3 scallions, chopped on an angle
˝ cup plum sauce
2 cups basil, loosely packed
1 tablespoon fish sauce
˝ head iceburg lettuce, halved again
˝ seedless cucumber, chopped

Thinly slice the chicken into strips and sprinkle with grill seasoning.

Heat a large skillet to screaming hot. Add vegetable oil, then chicken. Cook chicken 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the ginger, garlic, peppers, cabbage and carrot mix and scallions and stir-fry another 2 minutes. Add plum sauce to glaze the mixture, toss 1 minute, then add basil and wilt leaves. Add fish sauce and turn to coat. Transfer cooked chicken and vegetables to a bowl. Place spoonfuls of chicken into a piece of lettuce with cucumber and fold lettuce over to eat, like small tacos.

dneilson
02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Thank you, celestialchef.

I was confused as I do a similar one by her (Rachael Ray) titled, "Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps" (delicious filling BTW!). But couldn't recall doing the recipe with shredded cabbage. It turns out they are two different recipes with similar titles. I must try the one you posted!

Thanks again!!

Dolores

ETA: I might as well post her other one...it is truly delicious and is one of the few recipes that I didn't need to tweak (rare for me).

Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps

2 cups fresh shiitake or oyster mushrooms
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs julienned chicken breast or chicken tenders
2 Tbs light-colored oil, such as vegetable or peanut oil
salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
1/4 tsp orange zest, (more than this is too strong)
1 red bell pepper, diced small (use the whole pepper if desired)
8-oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, core removed, quartered ( find the lettuce leaf falls apart on me)
1 head of Boston, Bibb, or butter lettuce, leaves separated, washed, and dried
Orange wedges, for garnish

1 Remove the tough stems from the mushrooms and brush with a damp cloth to clean; slice the mushrooms. Chop the chicken into small pieces.
2 Preheat a large skillet on high heat.
3 Add the oil to the hot pan. Add the chicken to the pan and sear for a minute or two. Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute more. Add orange zest, bell pepper, water chestnuts, and scallions. Cook for another minute, stirring continuously. Add hoisin sauce and stir to coat evenly. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with lettuce leaves and orange slices. To eat, pile spoonfuls of chicken mixture into lettuce leaves and squeeze an orange wedge over the top.

Servings: 4
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

Recipe Source
Author: Rachael Ray recipe

little_bopeep
02-16-2007, 08:24 PM
This is a great slaw recipe!

SWEET & SOUR SLAW

(The Good Food Gourmet: Jane Brody)

7-8 cups (about 1-1/4 pounds) shredded green cabbage

1/3 cup rice vinegar or cider vinegar
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (smooth also acceptable)
Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup dry roasted, unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon soy sauce (used low sodium)
1 teaspoon oriental sesame seed oil

Place dressing ingredients in blender, and process them on low until well mixed. (Note: I usually just whisk thoroughly in the bottom of the bowl and add the cabbage in.)

About 1 hour before serving, place the dressing in a large bowl and gradually add all the shredded cabbage tossing well to mix. Stir in red pepper flakes (if you are using them). Cover bowl, chill for 1 hour, tossing it every now and then.

Susan's notes: I used pre-shredded slaw mix and omitted the chopped peanuts. Yumyumyum.

dneilson
02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
The Moo Shu Beef was simple, delightful and tasty---it definitely is on my repeat list so I will be purchasing more bags of coleslaw mix!! Thank you Goldie for the trouble of posting it.

Thank you, Susan..for sharing your peanut coleslaw recipe.

Since I LOOOOOOVE peanut noodles, I know I will love Peanut Slaw! Anxious to give this a go.

Merci!

Dolores

Goin' Coastal
02-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd just make a big pot of vegetable soup and throw it in!

Dana G
02-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Mmm, Samosa Quesadillas. Delicious and super simple to make. Let me know if you want the recipe. :)

I would love to take a look at the samosa quesadilla recipe. Sounds interesting!

Also, my husband is Kenyan and so we cook cabbage Kenyan style. That is fried rather than boiled like my family always does in the South. There is not really a recipe. Just fry some onions in oil with some ginger and garlic. Add the cabbage and a little water (don't boil it). When it is cooked down a little, add a tomato diced and let the tomato steam on top. Then mix that in. Somewhere in there add salt, pepper and any other spices you would like. Sometimes we add a small spoon of tomato paste to thicken. We also use a Kenya spice/thickener, but we have made it without it too so you don't have to have it. Most people say they hate cabbage but love my husbands.

bobmark226
02-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Samosa Quesadillas

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup very thinly sliced cabbage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup mashed peeled potato, cooked without salt or fat
1/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
8 (6-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and next 5 ingredients (cabbage through garlic); sauté 3 minutes or until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Remove from heat; stir in potato, peas, and soy sauce.

Place 4 tortillas on a large baking sheet. Spread about 1/2 cup potato mixture over each tortilla; top each with 1/4 cup cheese and a tortilla. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 quesadilla)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 349 (29% from fat); FAT 11.2g (sat 5.8g, mono 4.2g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 11.8g; CARB 51.3g; FIBER 4.3g; CHOL 27mg; IRON 3.9mg; SODIUM 831mg; CALC 236mg;

Cooking Light, JULY 1998

dneilson
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I would like to share the following Savoy cabbage (and even green cabbage) side dish with you all since you were very generous with me.

Fry some bacon until crisp; remove from skillet & set aside --leave a couple tbsp drippings in skillet. (I now use turkey bacon and add olive oil for the fat instead).

In "drippings", saute julienned Savoy cabbage with garlic and shallots. Salt and pepper, adding enough cream or creme fraiche to coat. (I sometimes add about 1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard and add a couple tsps of flour using homemade chicken broth instead of cream, stirring until thickened). Add your crumbled crispy bacon. We love this with meat loaf. The 1988 Culinary Institute of America's Hot Food competition for the gold medal in Frankfurt Germany inspired me.

Many thanks for your posts.

Dolores

little_bopeep
02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Dana and Dolores, thanks so much for sharing those recipes! We really like cabbage, too, but have grown tired of making it the same old way all the time. I'm still trying to visualize the quesadillas...I'm not convinced yet. :D

As a hijack, Dolores I went to your website and was so moved by your work!! Do you use your daughters and grandchildren as models? I'm so in awe of your talent! I'm really glad you gave us a link to your site. :) :cool: