PDA

View Full Version : Need a recipe using Orzo as a side

loreneg
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I have not cooked with Orzo and like to make it as a side.
Appreciate any good recipes

erinlovesmarc
03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
this one is really good...

Creamy Parmesan Orzo
Cooking Light

Unlike traditional pasta, this orzo isn't cooked in a pot of boiling water. Instead, it's cooked slowly in a flavorful broth that captures its starch.

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup orzo
1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted

Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add orzo, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and orzo is done (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with the pine nuts. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 236(24% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 3.2g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 9.9g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 82mg; SODIUM 412mg; FIBER 1.7g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.8g

tippy7
03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Creamy Parmesan Orzo is great! I don't have the recipe handy but I'm sure you can easily find it by searching the CL website or the boards.

ETA: Or just look above!

PAMMELA
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Yep, that's what I came here to suggest also!

manetta
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I love the Creamy Parmesean Orzo, too. I sometimes add baby spinach and sundried tomatoes to it.

smokeandashes
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Here is a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa and one from Everyday Italian. Both are pretty tasty.

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables Copyright 2001 Barefoot Contessa Parties!

This recipe is a slight variation of a wonderful summer dish invented by Sarah Leah Chase in her book, The Open House Cookbook.

1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound orzo or rice-shaped pasta
For the dressing:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/3 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

To assemble:
4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts), toasted
3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.

Orzo Salad Recipe courtesy Giadia De Laurentis

Orzo Salad
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Yield: 1 3/4 cups

Dana G
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Too funny. I just came to the computer to see how to prepare the orzo I have and I found this thread. I had to do a double take and almost thought "did I post that and forget."

I think I will try the parmesan orzo.

rjbq
03-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I've made this several times and have always enjoyed it.

Spiced Orzo Pilaf
From Cooking Light

This pasta is cooked in a manner similar to traditional rice pilaf.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add cinnamon, cumin, and paprika; cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in broth, orzo, orange juice, and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in dates and next 4 ingredients (through pepper); cook, uncovered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Stir in chopped carrot, fresh cilantro, and fresh lemon juice.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 280(15% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 0.7g,mono 2.5g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 7.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 30mg; SODIUM 534mg; FIBER 4g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 55g

choban
03-02-2007, 01:13 PM
This is one of our staple foods in the summer months and I can't get enough of it. A must try!

Buon Appetito!

Christy:)

mizqueen
03-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Here's a third or fourth vote for the creamy parmesan orzo. It has become one of our favorites - at least once a week. It tastes a lot like risotto but way easier. The roasted vegetable orzo is also delicious, but I agree it's more of a summer dish, although very substantial. Plus it's a lot more work. We like it as a main dish in summer - it's pretty hearty.

Dana G
03-02-2007, 04:12 PM
I went with the parmesan orzo last night and it was great. I added some spinach to improve the apperance and nutrition. A keeper!

DCook
03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I've actually tried the Parmesan Orzo twice and never been thrilled with it.

I tried Carrot Orzo from the March issue of Bon Appetit and I loved it though - very similar method, just not as bland

-------------------------------
CARROT ORZO

6 ounces peeled baby carrots (about 1 1/4 cups; from 16-ounce package)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

Place carrots in processor. Using on/off turns, finely chop carrots. Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add orzo and carrots; sauté until orzo is golden, about 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water, broth, and garlic; cook uncovered over medium heat until all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Stir in cheese, green onions, and rosemary. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Makes 4 servings.
Bon Appétit
March 2007

-------------------------------

Incidentally, I paired this with their Chicken Saltimboca with Lemon Sauce (as the magazine pairs the two) and they were a great combo, although I was a bit more impressed with the orzo