PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips needed

Melman
03-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm flying to a conference for the first time since the airlines implemented the 3-1-1 guidelines last year. For the folks who are experienced travelers, do you have suggestions techniques for the easiest way to do this? I'm guessing by now, at least one manufacturer of plastics has come up with appropriate-sized clear spill-proof 3-ounce containers???

Other questions, are you finding you check a lot more *stuff* in your checked baggage instead of trying to do as much carry-on? Can you still have a water bottle? The last time I traveled, I could bring a water bottle with me, but it had to be unopened. Of course the obvious thing there is to buy a new bottle on the other side of the security area.

Any suggestions, ways to make this extremely simple, etc. are very welcomed and appreciated! To be honest, I'm not sure what is still unknown about traveling since it's been a full year. They seem to like changing the rules quite often.

THANKS!

Laura
03-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Honestly, I just put it in my checked baggage if I carry it with me at all, but then I am not the type of person who usually brings gels/liquids with me anyway. As for water bottles, I just buy them on the other side of security.

KimK
03-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I have flown several times for work recently, and the restrictions are still in place. You cannot take even an unopened bottle of water through security. All lotion, lip balm, mascara, etc. must be in quart-size zip lock bags - zip lock bags cannot be any larger than quart-size, but you can carry multiple quart bags. If you want to carry on something like toothpaste, you must carry a tube that is less than 3 ounces - you may not take a larger tube of toothpaste that is almost empty.

A coworker of mine recently tried carrying on a see-through cosmetics case that was about quart-size, but she wasn't allowed to carry it through. Another coworker's first name was misspelled on her prescription medication, and security took it away. Too bad they couldn't also take some of her common sense!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Check this web site for all the details you need: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/prepare_fly/.

Have a good trip!

Melman
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Mascara? That opens up another line of questions. How about makeup? I wear Prescriptives. It's in a glass bottle, but I'm sure is larger than 3 ounces. I really hate to give the idiots (the ones who like to open the luggage and rudely crumple everything that has been packed so neatly as to avoid massive wrinkles and, especially, anything that could break) a chance to break my rather expensive bottle of makeup in my clothes. And then there's the other Prescriptives items that are cream/gel/liquid/arrggghhh!!

I suppose eye shadow is safe since it's a powder?

I can already see that between now and next weekend, I'm going to hate airline travel. <sigh>

Thanks for the website. I'll check it out.

badunnin
03-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Melanie - if you have to put your makeup in your checked luggage, put it in a ziplock bag, just in case it breaks. I do that with EVERYTHING now, ever since I went someplace, only to open my suitcase and find all my belongings covered in shampoo....

Blissful_in_TX
03-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh my goodness, thanks for the heads-up; I didnít realize restrictions were still so strict!! Weíre probably traveling to Vietnam in the next few months, and I had planned on taking a whole slew of stuff in my carry-on for the long trip and in case our checked baggage was lost. Iím going to have to make a lot of changes to my packing list. :(

I read the FAA link, but Iím still a little confused about some things. It says you are not limited to the amount of medication you bring on board, ďBUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.Ē Has anybody had to declare stuff...is it a big deal?

And what about things like antiseptic hand wipes (not the liquid hand sanitizer) or Make-Up Remover Towelettes:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=303878&navAction=jump&navCount=2&id=prod6428
Do they have to be in the one Ziploc bag, or is that not considered liquid?

And for prescriptions, do you just need that label on the bottle? You donít need the physical paper prescription, right?

wallycat
03-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know if I"ll be much help here; lots of good advice already.
I too tend to pack everything because it is a hassle to worry about 3 oz. qty for me.
I carry an epi-pen with me and a Rx for it and I've never had anyone stop me about it (I was worried because there's the obvious needle in it).

I tend to bring lots of food with me because I get low blood sugar and the thought of getting stuck on the tarmack(sp?) for hours and hours without food frightens me. I chilled one of those blue things to put in my lunch pail and they confiscated it. :mad: :mad: :mad: It is not listed anywhere but they said anything liquid greater than 3 oz will be taken away.

vbak
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Carry your meds in the container they came in. I took make up in my carry on in a plastic bag. Toothpaste and other items, like lotions and such went into my checked luggage. On our last trip to Germany and coming home, a woman had a gift of lotion and such in a gift bag to carry on. Uh, uh. She had to dump it. In my travel experiences, I have found the Europeans to be more cautious. They stop and question every single passenger before they allow you to check your luggage.

If in doubt, put it into your checked luggage in a plastic bag.

Vicky

Robyn1007
03-04-2007, 05:12 PM
I have flown quite a few times since the restrictions went into place. A couple of things to keep in mind are things like jam are restricted (I had a gift from Portland, didn't even think about it.) Every airport I've been through has restricted the amount to a single quart size bag (Kim, I'm not trying to argue with you, just want to point it out so Melanie isn't surprised). Definitely buy water on the other side of security. I generally pack everything except for lip balm and eye drops in my checked luggage to avoid any issues.

Melman
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the expert suggestions and comments. I checked out the website and they specifically say *one bag*...it does sound like it could be a little flexible depending on the airport. Since one of the airports is Dulles, I'll definitely stick with one. I'm planning on checking just as much as possible so I will hopefully deal with limited issues (or NO issues!!)

You'll all be thrilled to know that on the travel site posted by KimK, you can check your sabers, swords and pick-axes without any problem...you just can't have them in your carry-on luggage. :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Miss_Liss
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
This thread is very timely as I have to travel to Atlanta next weekend and as my flight is getting in so late and I'm only going for such a short time, would like not to have to bother with checking on any baggage. Am hoping that all my makeup is smaller than 3 oz!!

You'll all be thrilled to know that on the travel site posted by KimK, you can check your sabers, swords and pick-axes without any problem...you just can't have them in your carry-on luggage. :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Hee hee - I thought this was pretty funny too, plus all the stuff about gel filled bras, which you can wear through security :D

aggie94
03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I have traveled a ton since the restrictions were put in place. I'll reiterate the previous comments: ONE ziploc quart-sized bag (I have seen them throw a fuss over a gallon-sized bag) with 3-ounce containers or less of anything liquid or semi-solid (antibacterial hand gel, deodorant, shampoo, lipstick, lip gloss, chapstick, etc.). And no water bottles, even if unopened. Buy one on the other side of security, but keep in mind that if you have a red-eye flight (like we did last week!), nothing is open on the other side of security. :o In retrospect, we should have packed Nalgene bottles in our carry-on and filled them with tap water on the other side. Instead, we had a 4 1/2 hour flight with no water. :mad:

Also, every airport is different, but I did experience one situation where TSA confiscated my eyeglass cleaner (which was in a clear liquid spray bottle tnat was obviously smaller than 3 fluid ounces) because there was no label on the bottle that indicated the actual volume. :eek: FTR, there is no requirement that the bottle be labeled as 3 ounces or less, only that it actually be 3 ounces or less, but I didn't want to get into a p*ssing match with TSA, so I let them take it. But just be forewarned that that is a possibility.

ellielk
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I've traveled a bit since the 3-1-1 rules were implemented. The one thing I always carry with me is my contact lens solution and the smallest container I could find was 4 oz. Both in the US and overseas (Morocco), they let that through. The toughest examination was flying from Casablanca to JFK where they were confiscating the larger sized water bottles right and left (this was the security check before entering the plane and not just for entering the waiting area). One guard showed the lens solution to another who said 'special' and they let it through. That particular security check included a pat-down of every passenger so I guess the lens solution was okay.

I keep my on-board stuff in a smallish zipper bag that came with a kit of some travel sized lotion, bath gel, etc. It's obviously smaller than the quart-sized bag and I haven't had any problems getting it passed through with the lens solution, a sample tube of toothpaste and my lens case.

Robyn1007
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Ellie, just a tip on what I've been doing with contact stuff just in case you do get it confiscated at some point. I put solution in my lens case and carry my glasses so that just in case they really need to come out I have enough solution to store them in. I think my small size is just over 3 oz :rolleyes: but I haven't tried to get it through.

Meganator
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd recommend sticking an extra quart ziplock in your bag, because if they are stuffed pretty full, the zip can break - then you have a replacement. I prefer the Hefty-type One-Zip bags to the regular ziplocks for this purpose.

We travel a lot and don't have any trouble, but I don't wear much makeup. My quart bag easily fits travel sizes of deodorant, tootpaste, saline solution, as well as chapstick, mascara, cover stick, eyeliner, and a spare contact lens. Also travel sizes of shampoo/conditioner and lotion if I think the hotel might not have it. I use the makeup remover towelettes - the kind that are dry, but that get soapy when you wet them - and don't include them in my quart bag.

If I had glass bottles of anything that I really needed to take, I would buy some small plastic containers. For the decrease in weight, if nothing else.

Meganator
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Re: contact lens solutions...I have several bottles for saline solution (Bausch & Lomb,and Optifree) that are 2-3 oz, as well as a 3 oz Aosept. Some are trial sizes from the eye doctor's office, some are trial sizes that occasionally come as a "bonus" packaged with the regular size, and at least one was just bought off the shelf at Target or someplace. I just refill them as needed. But my point was going to be that, for those of you who have trouble finding the 3 oz ones, you might want to pop into an optometrist's office, if there is one convenient, and see if they will give you a trial size. Even if it isn't your regular doctor, I bet you could get one if you explained why you needed it.

KimK
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the one bag thing. That's good to know. Interesting that the last few times I've flown I've been able to carry two bags, plus a blistex in my coat pocket! Seems like so many of these things are left up to the discretion of the particular security folks. That's a little scary if you ask me! :eek:

HealthyinMN
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Good information here!

We'll be traveling soon as well... I do have a question - what about outside food? Are you able to bring in say a bagel and peanut butter through security or a muffin or whatever?

Meganator
03-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Good information here!

We'll be traveling soon as well... I do have a question - what about outside food? Are you able to bring in say a bagel and peanut butter through security or a muffin or whatever?

I haven't tried, but my interpretation is that there is no problem with the muffin or bagel, but your peanut butter should be in a 3 oz container in your quart-sized bag.

ewatkins
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Be careful on any food you try to bring. I had to throw out yogurt. They also wouldn't let me bring salad dressing from a take out salad that was in a pouch, so I just poured it on the salad and that was ok. PB could be risky if it is in a container and not already spread on the bagel.

Also -- every airport is different. In Denver they were handing out quart bags at the xray machines for lipstick. In Philadelphia they told me to leave it in my purse. Maddening that no one seems to know what the rules are.

gertdog
03-06-2007, 11:50 AM
We flew this weekend. In Newark, we were late for our flight and so flustered that we forgot to "declare" DS's antibiotic liquid, small container of applesauce (factory-packaged), Purell, and hand lotion. I'd put them all in a quart ziplock- I just forgot to take them out of my bag (though neither DH or I even remembers them asking about liquids or gels). I also forgot to throw out a half-empty water bottle before going through security. All of those items went through the xray machine in my backpack and no one said a word.

On the way home, at LAX, we did declare the antibiotic and other items. The antibiotic was in a large bottle- much bigger than 3 oz. They checked to make sure the name on the prescription label matched the name on the plane ticket and that was fine. They were making people throw away bottled water and some food items, but anything you buy on the other side of security is fine to take on.