PDA

View Full Version : ? about fruit cups...

tammy/MN
03-17-2007, 07:43 AM
i have to bring 4doz fruits (servings) for my dd's teachers on wednesday, i thought i would just cut up a bunch of fruit in a bowl & have cups & forks for the teachers to help themselves.

do i need to add something to the fruit to keep them fresh? i'll be cutting up the night before since i need to bring it in for 8am on wednesday.

fruits that i'll be using:
pineapples
melons & cantalopes
grapes
kiwi
oranges/clementines

thanks so much for all your knowledge!
tammy

RebelsLGB
03-17-2007, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't think so. But maybe some lemon juice just in case?

mrswaz
03-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Actually, you're using a good combination of fruits that you don't have to worry too much about it. And the pineapple and orange juice will keep everything fresh already.

My only concern would be the kiwi. I always have problems with it turning into mush on me, so I would either cut it into pretty big chunks or just cut it and leave it in a separate bowl with a squirt of orange juice, then combine them with the rest of the fruit in the morning before you go.

tammy/MN
03-17-2007, 08:45 AM
thanks, i wasn't sure if i needed to add lemon juice or not. i think i will leave out the kiwi & add strawberries (sam's club had some nice ones!)

thanks, tammy

memartha
03-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Tammy,

Prepping the fruit the night before is a good idea. Just keep the fruits in separate bowls until the morning (all strawberries in one bowl; pineapple in another; etc). Combine the fruit in one large bowl in the morning. The reason is that sometimes the fruit can "bleed" into each other and even start getting mushy when combining heavier pieces with lighter ones.

Martha