PDA

View Full Version : 9-Inch Dinner Plates?

SDMomChef
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
We need to replace our dinnerware, and since I just started the Sonoma Diet, I thought that I would look for a set that had 9 inch dinner plates. I can't find any! It seems like the size of a dinner plate has increased to 11 inches, and the 9 inches is the salad plate. I also thought it was interesting that by doing a search on google for 9-inch dinner plates, most of the hits were for kid plates.

Just thought that this was very interesting. I'm not sure what I'm going to do - simply by a set and just use the salad plates for every day or just buy salad plates in both circle and square sizes and skip the dinner plates.

Have you noticed this trend?

sneezles
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Did you try searching for lunch plates? My stoneware has 3 different plates (4 if you consider the bread/dessert plate). The largest is 10.75, the middle one is 9.75 and the small one is 8.75.

donleyk
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I wanted the smaller dinner plates but I have this huge Longaberger pottery collection and they started making the pottery in China instead of here and I refuse to buy it, so I'm stuck with 11 inch plates.

I know you googled them but maybe a search on Ebay would give you more options? Good luck.

sneezles
03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Found a couple of pages of lunch plates at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13194331)

SDMomChef
03-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Found a couple of pages of lunch plates at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13194331)

The lunch plate is a good idea - thanks!

Clover
03-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I did some research in my own cupboards. I measured the dinner plates from five different sets--I don't have five sets, but I do have a number of different kinds of plates--and they all measure about 10 1/2 inches, including the ones that belonged to my parents that I think they bought around 1960. The other plates are from the '70s and '80s. My conclusion is that 9 inches would be an unusually small dinner plate and that it's not a new development. If you want a 9-inch plate, and the manufacturer calls that a salad plate, I'd buy the salad plate.

donnamp14
03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I had the same problem. I bought the LLBean blueberry plates and the dinner plates were over 11 inches (not to mention that the cups were grey, not white, but that's another tale). They barely fit into my cabinets and dishwasher. I returned them. I just bought these from Williams Sonoma and they are perfect! I got service for 12 and love them! The size is what I was after, but I love the color and the quality. Good luck!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku4024048/index.cfm?pkey=cdnwbasi

-Donna

sneezles
03-27-2007, 02:57 PM
OK, is it odd that I have had the same stoneware for 25 years? Do lots of people change dishes often?

wallycat
03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Fiestaware has 3 sizes I think.
We have huge plates for times when we're serving larger items, but most of the time we use the lunch or bread plates. Not that I don't go for seconds, but at least I'm aware of it...usually :o

donnamp14
03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Sneezles- I had to get new dishes because after 22 years I was sick of the corelle that was given to me by a dear SIL! I mean, those things just wouldn't break! They were 80's colors, so old looking! My kids gave me a gift card for new dishes last September and I just now found ones I love. I hope to have these for 30 years. Nice and heavy and white will go with anything.

So, short answer, no, you're not odd at all!

-Donna

colleency
03-27-2007, 03:08 PM
That Williams-Sonoma set is tempting! Maybe I'll have to get DH to break--er--wash the dishes, so I can get new ones. ;)

sneezles
03-27-2007, 03:13 PM
after 22 years I was sick of the corelle that was given to me by a dear SIL! I mean, those things just wouldn't break! They were 80's colors, so old looking!
So, short answer, no, you're not odd at all!

-Donna

LOL! Why is it the stuff you really want to break just never does!:D

applecrisp
03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Donna --

Sorry for the hijack. I so need new dishes. How is the weight for the ones that you bought? I am a bit hesitant to buy them without seeing them in person but the price is certainly right. Would you consider them a bright white?

Thanks!

jellyben
03-27-2007, 03:58 PM
I started buying dishes that a store near me sells open stock. The dinner plates are huge(over 11 in.) so I bought a few for when we have company(or are extremely hungry!) and a huge stack of the smaller salad plates(8.5 in) which is what we eat our meals off of. You might want to look at a place like Crate and Barrel that sells open stock plates, so you can end up with just the pieces you will actually use!

I guess big dinner plates are part of our Supersize Me culture!

Goin' Coastal
03-27-2007, 04:09 PM
I am getting ready to order a new set of dishes - handmade pottery. She makes them custom to what sizes you want. I haven't decided yet excactly what I am going to order.

Sneezles - I had very nice stoneware I received for a wedding gift 30 years ago. Even though I liked it, the colors no longer matched my house after a number of years. I then switched to a Phaltzgraff (sp?) pattern that I now hate! I like my original set better :rolleyes: I had service for 12 - my dds are using them now in their apartments - they each have service for 6 - if I wasn't going to get new - I might be tempted to get them back!

Hammster
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Something to think about when buying dinner plates. Even though they may be listed as 11", the actual area where you put the food can be smaller. My dinner plates measure 11" but they have a 1 1/2" raised border. So the actual dimension of the plate where you put the food is only 8". Smaller than the 9" plate you might be considering.

donnamp14
03-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Applecrisp (love that name!)- They are a soft white- not a sharp blue-white, but just white. A nice white. My cabinets and countertops are white and they are that exact, plain white. No undertones that I can tell- not pinky or yellow-y. They are quite a bit heavier than the Corelle, but I am getting used to them. They are really like restaurant ware. I guess you could buy one set and decide if you like it. FWIW, I am glad I took the plunge. Good luck!

-Donna

applecrisp
03-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks Donna -- I think I am going to buy a set. I can always return them to the store if for some reason I don't like them.