PDA

View Full Version : Does vinegar disinfect?

LaraW
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm doing some cleaning today and wondered if white vinegar is useful as a disinfectant. We have some nasty flu bug in our house that I want to do what I can to get it out. Plus, its just good info to have anyway.

Thanks

Julie O
03-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I think you'd be much better off with Lysol spray or a cleaner made especially for killing viruses. Dilute bleach can be used for some surfaces for kiling viruses. Vinegar might work, but why take a chance when there are other alternatives.

If the "flu" is actually rotovirus or norovirus (stomach issues), then you really need to be carefully about how you clean because you can easily stir up the virus and get even more into the air. Those are also much harder to kill. So that's why they're easily transmitted from person to person.

tennisashoe
03-31-2007, 02:04 PM
According to Heinz it does! Go for it!

Heinz company spokesperson Michael Mullen references numerous studies to show that a straight 5 percent solution of vinegar—such as you can buy in the supermarket—kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses). He noted that Heinz can't claim on their packaging that vinegar is a disinfectant since the company has not registered it as a pesticide with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). However, it seems to be common knowledge in the industry that vinegar is powerfully antibacterial. Even the CBS news show 48 Hours had a special with Heloise reporting on tests from The Good Housekeeping Institute that showed this.

LaraW
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
If the "flu" is actually rotovirus or norovirus (stomach issues), then you really need to be carefully about how you clean because you can easily stir up the virus and get even more into the air. Those are also much harder to kill. So that's why they're easily transmitted from person to person.

This isn't a stomach flu - its the actual flu with fever,chills, coughing, etc. I had it earlier this week and both kids have it now. I'm trying to get my house cleaned out - I have the windows open and the furnace off to try and just air out the house but I wanted to clean the kitchen/bathrooms etc. as well. And toys too.

erinlovesmarc
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm doing some cleaning today and wondered if white vinegar is useful as a disinfectant. We have some nasty flu bug in our house that I want to do what I can to get it out. Plus, its just good info to have anyway.

Thanks

I use it as a disinfectant but...I would think that it wouldn't kill all strains of viruses or bacteria...I looked it up on the net and I got this...http://www.antecint.co.uk/MAIN/shulaw.htm

For example, plain vinegar (4% acetic acid) will readily kill the foot-and-mouth disease virus, but it won't do much to Mycobacterium paratuberculosis, the cause of Johne's disease. Most commonly used disinfectants are not active against bacterial spores, the environmentally hardy life-form taken by the germs that cause tetanus, blackleg, botulism, and anthrax.

LaraW
03-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Erin, do you think if I use vinegar/water or just straight vinegar to clean the kids' toys, it should work? I'd like to soak the things I can soak, I'll have to just wipe off other things.

And I need to wash a couple of floors. I think those will probably be OK but I just wasn't sure on the toys.

erinlovesmarc
03-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Erin, do you think if I use vinegar/water or just straight vinegar to clean the kids' toys, it should work? I'd like to soak the things I can soak, I'll have to just wipe off other things.

And I need to wash a couple of floors. I think those will probably be OK but I just wasn't sure on the toys.

I would boil some water, then take off the heat and add the same amount of vinegar to the pot to soak stuff...you can make a solution of half vinegar and half hydrogen peroxide to wipe down other stuff...

For the floors, I think hot water and vinegar should be okay...

phantomcg
03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Erin, do you think if I use vinegar/water or just straight vinegar to clean the kids' toys, it should work? I'd like to soak the things I can soak, I'll have to just wipe off other things. And I need to wash a couple of floors. I think those will probably be OK but I just wasn't sure on the toys.

I've read (at Holisticat.com) that if you use peroide and vinegar (one sprayed after the other) that it will disinfect surfaces. I've used this method to clean up the kitchen after making cat food (I feed one of my two cats raw diet) and have had good results with this method.

Cheryl

cindy47031
03-31-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't have anything intelligent to say about vinegar's disinfectant properties, but wanted to tell you I hope you all feel better soon. Flu sucks! :o