PDA

View Full Version : Need dinner idea - IL's coming this weekend

mgs
04-13-2007, 09:58 AM
They aren't super foodies or picky at all. I just am out of ideas. I need something pretty easy to throw together. I have a toddler. Also my MIL won't help.

I just can't seem to think of anything that excites me. I don't really feel like pasta.

Anyone have a nice, simple entertaining menu to share?

Thanks

misskitty100
04-13-2007, 10:17 AM
This is a delicious recipe and very easy to put together.

Chicken Marbella

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 chickens -- 2 1/2 pounds each,
quartered
1 head garlic -- peeled and finely
pureed
1/4 cup dried oregano
coarse salt and freshly ground black
pepper to taste
1/2 cup red wine vineagar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
6 bay leaves
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup Italian parsley or fresh coriander -- finely chopped
(cilantro)

1. In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to tase, vineagar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

3. Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.

4. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yield clear yellow (rather than pink) juice.
5. With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Pass remaining pany juices in a sauceboat.

6. To serve Chicken Marbella cold, cool to room temperature in cooking juices before transferring to a serving platter. If chicken has been covered and refrigerated, allow it to return to room temperature before serving. Spoon some of the reserved juice over the chicken.

16 pieces, 10 servings or more
From The Silver Palate Cookbook

Serve it with some rice and a green salad.

mightyh
04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Too funny! As I read the first post, I was thinking of Chicken Marbella, too! It took me the longest time to decide to make it the first time cause the ingredient combination seemed strange to me, but now I love it. It's simple and easy and delicious and appeals to all sorts of folks.

Two votes for Chicken Marbella!!

mgs
04-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow 2 votes?
This recipe seems very interesting to me. I just have to try to get to the store b/f they arrive to get the ingredients. Hum, would someone call social services if I went while DS took his nap??;)

J/K

I think this is a wonderful idea, thank you.

Meg

SheRa
04-13-2007, 11:25 AM
i don't know if you're looking for more options or not, but this one ALWAYS turns out great!

Balsamic Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Covelli Family Recipe

pork tenderloin
˝ cup olive oil
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
black pepper

Mix marinade ingredients in freezer bag. Add pork and marinate at least 2 hours (the longer the better) in the refrigerator. Turn the bag halfway through.

Pour marinade and pork into baking dish. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes to 1 hour, keeping covered for the first 20 minutes.

Remove pork and let rest before slicing into medallions. Pour a little sauce over top and serve the rest in a gravy boat on the side.

Notes:
Double for more than one loin - extra juice is always good!

MacGourmet Rating: 5 Stars

mgs
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
wait now, SheRa, that seems even easier, as I can get the ingredients later tonight and don't have to marinate overnight.

It sounds wonderful, too.

What side dishes? Maybe just a green salad as well?

Hummm

SheRa
04-13-2007, 11:51 AM
we usually make it with mashed potatoes (because that leftover juice is SOOO good to soak up!!) and some asparagus or a salad.

ssusan
04-13-2007, 04:55 PM
That's a terrific recipe. We often have it with roasted new potatoes or fingerlings or smashed new potatoes and asparagus has been really good lately.

-Susan

saserre
04-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I'd highly recommend Raspberry-Balsamic Glazed Chicken, from CL in 1998. Most likely you already have the ingredients in your house too. It says you could use apricot, blackberry, or peach preserves as well, if you don't have raspberry. I suggest making more glaze than it calls for since it's so yummy you'll want it for every bite.

I made this last time my folks were over, and my Mom loved it so much she asked for the recipe, and actually bought balsamic vinegar (fancy item for her) to make it with.

Raspberry-Balsamic Glazed Chicken

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Combine thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to skillet; sauté 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserves, vinegar, and pepper, stirring constantly until the preserves melt. Spoon raspberry sauce over chicken.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons sauce)

mgs
04-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Can you believe they left before dinner? This after I went to the store and spent $20 on meat and the farmers market for fingerling potatoes. OMG

Drive 6 hours to see your grandson and only spend 1 night in a hotel, and leave by noon the next day? Oh my - well that is a post for the 'Other' board I guess.:mad:

I am going to make the dinner for friends who just had a baby and have a toddler running around.

Thanks

Meg