PDA

View Full Version : Sweet and Sour Beef with Broccoli (Simple & Delicious, Jan./Feb. 07)

memartha
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I made this tonight, and it was very good and well-received. I will note any changes I made in italics below. I'm not a huge pineapple fan, so I skimped a bit on that. I served this with Jasmine Rice and some Hoisin Sauce on the side.

Sweet and Sour Beef with Broccoli
Prep/Total time: 30 minutes

Our Test Kitchen recreated this classic Chinese beef and broccoli dish using a variety of colorful veggies and inexpensive ground beef for a refreshing taste.

1 can (20 oz.) unsweetened pineapple tidbits (I used all the juice but only half of the tidbits)
2 T. cornstarch
1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 t. minced fresh ginger
1 t. minced garlic
2 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice (I cooked 1 1/2 cups Jasimine rice)
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms (I omitted bcs. no one else likes these)
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
1 can (8 oz.) sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 T. sesame oil (I used peanut oil)
1 pound lean ground beef (I used about 2/3 pound of 93% lean ground beef)

Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the pineapple juice, cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Set aside.

Cook your rice.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. (original instructions called for cooking veggies first, then beef. I like to do it the other way around.)

Add oil to pan and stir fry the broccoli (I steamed it for 2 minutes first in the microwave), mushrooms, red pepper and water chestnuts for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove and set aside.

Put the beef back in the skillet, add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the reserved vegetable mixture and pineapple; heat through. Serve over rice.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrition facts: 1 1/3 cups beef mixture with 3/4 cup rice equals 386 calories, 8 g. fat, 37 mg. cholesterol, 822 mg. sodium, 57 g. carb, 4 g. fiber, 21 g. protein.

semmens
04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks for posting this, it looks pretty good. What company puts out this magazine...I don't think I've seen it?