PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to cleap off/wipe down counters (paper, cloth, types of cleansers etc

Applepie1101
05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
There's been talk about plastic vs paper, sponges etc... so I will toss out a question.

What do you use to clean off/wipe down your counters when you are cleaning up -- in terms of paper, cloth etc and what type of cleaner.
And would love to hear any tips about things good for the env't ... but of course all comments welcome.

I know what I do (shocking!), but have no clue what others do.

Ok, sounds like a strange question..... what about cloth dishtowels. And how often do you wash them. I seem to use paper towels most .. to clean up spills and the to clean off my counter (since no spreading germs etc). But I know it is wasteful. I use my dishtowels when drying pans and large dishes or to lay out on the counter if drying things I didn't put in dishwasher.

Thanks,

LaraW
05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I usually use a cloth dishcloth to wipe down my counters. I use a Dobie scrubber if I need to use soap, but for just wiping down the counter, I just use a dishcloth. I generally use them for 1 day and then put them in the laundry, same with dishtowels.

I have white washcloths (just the cheap ones I got from Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond) that I use to wipe off the kids' hands and faces. Unless someone is sick or really dirty :o I usually only use one for both of them.

jellyben
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I use a washcloth for wiping down the counters. I use a new one every day. For most cleaning of counters I have started using Target's Method surface cleaner, but also have Formula 409 for raw meat cleanup.

Beth Y
05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I use a sponge and nuke it for 3 minutes every day or so to sanitize. I keep bleach water in a sprayer if I have used anything iffy that day, or just soapy water, etc. if not.

shoezoo
05-02-2007, 06:57 AM
I use paper towels and 409 on my counters. I'm thinking of switching to a Melaluca product for counters so I'm not always throwing plastic containers of 409. I use a dobie and sponge on my dishes and wash them in the dishwasher.

TieKitty
05-02-2007, 07:02 AM
I never thought about nuking my sponges. That's a great idea. I usually throw them away after a week. I use paper towels and 409 or Fantastic to clean my counters and stovetop. Although, now that you've brought it up, it does seem wasteful.:(

Terri_A
05-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I'll admit that I LOVE clorox wipes. I was a paper towel user before they came out, so I figure it's no more wasteful than what I did before.

For those who like sponges - you can also run them through your dishwasher to sanitize them - that's what my mother does. I don't use them at all.

Beth Y
05-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I tried running my sponges through the dishwasher, but I hated picking up a nasty soggy sponge after. Especially if I didn't empty the dishwasher right away...it would just sit there, soggy. Yuck. With the microwave, I get a dry sanitized sponge.

I know tons of people do the dishwasher thing, but it grosses me out.

sneezles
05-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I use a dishcloth, new one every day, for the counter and table. I use baking soda for stubborn spots (my counters are Corian). If I'm preparing chicken then I get a new cloth and use it just for that area then it goes into the laundry.

I have a hand towel and a dish towel that changed every day as well.

MissFood
05-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I use paper towels and antibacterial multi-surface Windex or Lysol wipes. I never could get my mind around the sponge thing -- they just gross me out. And I use dishtowels to dry the dishes and lay things out to dry, and occasionally to wipe crumbs off the counter, but not to wipe anything wet, including cleanser off the counter.

TieKitty
05-02-2007, 08:24 AM
I can't bring myself to use a dish rag. My sister uses them and the last time I visited her it was slimy. GROSS!!! :eek: My mom used them, too. Give me something I can use and throw away.

DeeK
05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
I use knit cotton cloths for the kitchen. They get changed out daily OR more often if I wipe up something messy.

I use either Simple Green or Fabuloso on my counters and the sink gets scrubbed out with Soft Scrub w/bleach (I have a white porcelain sink) after the dishes are done.

sneezles
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I can't bring myself to use a dish rag. My sister uses them and the last time I visited her it was slimy. GROSS!!! :eek: My mom used them, too. Give me something I can use and throw away.

You might need to suggest she wash it!:p

In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint we stay away from disposable cleaning items and paper towels, plates, napkins. While I would love to use the Clorox wipes et all it just doesn't seem right...

patissac
05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I hate to say it but I use Lysol wipes. Anything to make my work load easier I do it. I used to use my dish sponge with some 409 but then I started getting weird looks from people who saw that I used the same sponge so after that I just used wipes for the counter tops. I also use the wipes on the kitchen faucet knobs. I saw a tv special that showed a family that all types of bacteria around their faucet, made my skin crawl:(

granolagirl
05-02-2007, 01:03 PM
I use Handi Wipes (http://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Handi-Wipes-Towels-CLO13387/dp/B0002ZWV8W) to wash dishes and wipe of the counters. They are washable and last a long time.

For cleaning, I use a mix of microfiber towels. They too are washable and great!

foodfiend
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I switched to dish towels a few years ago, from paper. Not because of environment concerns, but more because of costs. Using all those towels really added up! I use Fantastik to clean. I saw different vinegar, baking soda solutions to clean, which are more environmentally friendly, and I might go that route at some point.

Rae
05-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I use a solution like this:

Multi-Purpose Cleaner
1 cup household ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup baking soda
1 gallon warm water

Mix well

I make smaller amounts, but it works well on my counters, stove and I like the clean, fresh scent.

I currently use paper towels, but only because I accidentally bought the huge economy sized pack a couple of years ago (thought the pack was TP :rolleyes: ) but would otherwise use cloth.

clairea
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I use a dishcloth, and get a clean one each day (or more often if it gets really dirty). If I have a really big or yucky mess I will use paper towels, and I do have some Method brand wipes on hand that DH and the kids will use to quickly clean up behind themselves (I can get them to do this, but not to wet a dishcloth and then rinse it out after).

Angelina
05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I hate to say it but I use Lysol wipes. Anything to make my work load easier I do it. I used to use my dish sponge with some 409 but then I started getting weird looks from people who saw that I used the same sponge so after that I just used wipes for the counter tops. I also use the wipes on the kitchen faucet knobs. I saw a tv special that showed a family that all types of bacteria around their faucet, made my skin crawl:(

I wipe down the counter with my dish sponge, after I am done with the dishes and there is still soap in the sponge. After that, I dry everything off with a dish towel. I just use it a week or two, till I do laundry again. I mean, it is only drying off a countertop wet with hot water and soap!

Anyway, bacteria are your friends. ;)

clairea
05-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I just use it a week or two, till I do laundry again.

This part amazes me. I do laundry every single day (and it is always a full load)!

Angelina
05-02-2007, 04:07 PM
This part amazes me. I do laundry every single day (and it is always a full load)!

I don't have a washing machine and/or dryer. Anyway, it's just me and hubby. What would we wash every day? 2 pairs of underwears and 2 pairs of socks? ;)

Angela

trisha
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I use Costco baby wipes. I started this when I had babies and reallized they are so much cheaper than kitchen wipes. They dont have antibacterial qualities but for the run of the mill clean up they work great and are cheap.

TKay
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I use a sponge that I throw in the dishwasher. Doesn't gross me out. I also use dish towels that I wash every day. I must confess. I do use the Clorox wipes, but not in the kitchen. I save them for the bathroom (and let's just leave it at that :D ).

Kristilyn1
05-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I use Costco baby wipes. I started this when I had babies and reallized they are so much cheaper than kitchen wipes. They dont have antibacterial qualities but for the run of the mill clean up they work great and are cheap.

I soak my baby wipes in a mixture of warm water and a liquid cleanser--like Lysol or whatever I happen to pick up that week. I squeeze most of the excess water out and leave them in the dispenser. Works great, and much cheaper than Clorox or Lysol wipes.

Kristi

helene
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I use a new dish cloth everyday and use Palmolive dish liquid with hot water to clean the counters.

IndyKF
05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
I use dish cloths and towels - fresh ones every day (I have QUITE a collection of "cleaning towels" LOL). I mostly use Windex, or sometimes just water/dish soap. I'll use bleach cleaner if there's raw meat involved.

mrswaz
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I use dishtowels, washcloths or sponges to wash countertops- and I'll either use the soapy water after I'm done doing dishes (no dishwasher here) or for more heavy duty cleaning I use Method (grapefruit scent). I used to use 409 in the kitchen, but then I thought about all the food that comes in contact with that surface-blech. Give me the organic all-natural cleaner.

I stopped using paper towels for most everything. I still use them on occasion for windows- but that's it. I hate being wasteful, and since I do laundry every day, the towels and rags get freshly washed every day.

dneilson
05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint we stay away from disposable cleaning items and paper towels, plates, napkins. While I would love to use the Clorox wipes et all it just doesn't seem right...

I'm with you, Sneezles. If only we would consider the negative effects of disposable paper/plastic goods and toxic chemicals affecting our environment. Just because we don't see what happens to the garbage after it gets picked up doesn't mean it's not affecting us. I used to use disposables and chemical agents that were not environmentally friendly because they were convenient for me. But that surely won't be convenient for the next generation who will have to pay the cleaning tab - if they're not all ill from toxicity first! I now substitute more environmentally friendly solutions. If I could respectfully implore you all to recycle paper/plastic bags when grocery shopping, use non-toxic plant based cleaning solutions, use environmentally friendly paper goods (TP), etc. It surely would make a difference. :)

Dolores

KAnn
05-02-2007, 11:32 PM
No chemicals in my kitchen! I use vinegar and water and a couple of 7th Generation environmentally friendly/no animal testing type cleaning products. They smell good and do a great job without toxic fumes, etc. I use washcloths and some recylcled paper towels. (I am a vegetarian so I don't have raw meat type concerns)

RecipeGirl
05-02-2007, 11:34 PM
I use cloth diapers to clean my counters (they were never used as diapers), but they have always worked very well- absorbant and don't leave residue, etc. Then I can just throw them in the washer with my other rags. I have granite counters and use Oreck's (the vacuum store) stone countertop cleaner. It works great and smells very good too.

Anne
05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I use the terry cloth 'rags' that are sold in bulk in the automotive section. They are about 18 inches square, white, cheap quality terry but they work great for counter cleanup - when they are ready to retire from kitchen duty (too many trips through the dirty side) I put a 'flag' of bright colored yarn on the corner to show that they are to be used for non-kitchen cleaning.

sneezles
05-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I stopped using paper towels for most everything. I still use them on occasion for windows- but that's it. I hate being wasteful, and since I do laundry every day, the towels and rags get freshly washed every day.

You should consider getting some magic cloths! They are the best for windows and you don't need any cleaner just the wet cloth. I have 8 sets of French doors and I simply get the cloth wet, wring out most of the water and then wipe down the windows. No streaks, no smudges (though sometimes the dog nose prints take a second cleaning). I have quite a few because they need to be washed without fabric softeners or dryer sheets. They are also amazing on glass shower doors!

Dry they are great for dusting without cleaners, remove the static dust from tv and computer screens.