PDA

View Full Version : uses for marinated artichoke hearts

Apricot
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I bought 2 large containers of marinated artichoke hearts from Sam's Club and now I don't have a clue how to use them up. I originally bought them for the pasta and chicken dish with artichokes but I still have so much left. Any ideas?

Robyn1007
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
There's a recipe for lemon artichoke and goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts from CL that would use some. Artichoke dip would be yummy as well.

Chris415
05-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I sometimes put them in lasagna, mmmm......although, it's not really lasagna weather....:rolleyes:
Chris

Hammster
05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Salads! Especially if the weather is warm as it has been here in San Diego.

HoschtonQueen
05-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Mmmm, my BF's Mom makes Artichoke Pie. Chop up some of the artichokes, saute in the marinating oil until warm. Cut up a small ball of mozzarella cheese into cubes. Mix cheese cubes with 4 - 5 large eggs, 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan, and the artichokes. Pour into a pie crust, bake at 350 for about 20 - 25 minutes until set and golden brown on top. We used to cut these into small squares as appetizers. Also good with salad for light dinner -- not low cal as written (however, easy to reduce the calories with egg beaters and low-fat cheese), but big on flavor!

veschke
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Not a big artichoke fan, but in the summer I use them to make Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette. I also use them in calzones.

mcgee
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I like them on pizza.

Gilgamesh37
05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Several years back I went on a big phyllo triangle kick, and the artichoke heart ones were among my favorites. I think I just rough chopped the artichoke hearts and mixed it with cheese--I'm thinking Fontina?--and some of the marinade. Then put it in phyllo triangles--which I froze for easy appetizers.

Darn it. Now I want phyllo triangles.

lola777
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I absolutely love artichokes in any fashion. Here are 3 of our favorites which specifically use marinated artichoke hearts. (BTW, gilamesh, the first one uses phyllo!) Very tasty, all.

Artichoke Cheesecake

4 tbls. unsalted butter, melted
8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
3 ozs. marinated artichoke hearts
3 (8-oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
5 ozs. feta cheese, crumbled (1 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 tsps. chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped green onions
Roma tomatoes, sliced
Greek olives, pitted
Fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with butter.
Place 1 sheet of phyllo in pan so that phyllo extends up and over the sides of the pan. Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and butter. Make 2 slits in the center of phyllo for steam to escape.
Bake 9 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Decrease oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Drain and chop artichokes, reserving 2 tablespoons of the marinade. Set aside.
Beat cream cheese, feta, oregano and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add eggs, beating just until blended. Do not overbeat. Add artichoke hearts, reserved marinade and green onions. Combine well.
Pour mixture into crust and cover loosely with foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until center is soft and sides stay firm when gently shaken.
Cool. Cover and chill 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
When ready to serve, remove from pan and garnish with tomatoes, olives and basil leaves. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.

Serves 14.

-- "Stop and Smell the Rosemary" by the Junior League of Houston
************************************************** ************************************

Mediterranean Pork Kabobs
Recipe from Pork, The Other White Meat

1 pound boneless pork loin (or 4 boneless pork chops)
1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1. Cut pork loin or chops into 1-inch cubes and place in a self-sealing bag.
2. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade; set artichoke hearts and bell pepper squares aside. Add reserved marinade with remaining ingredients to bag; mix well and seal bag. Let stand for 30 minutes, turning bag occasionally (or refrigerate overnight).
3. Prepare medium-hot coals in covered grill.
4. Skewer* pork, artichoke hearts and pepper squares; grill for 15 minutes, just until done and nicely browned.

Serves 4. (Great with a green salad & couscous or rice)

*If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for one hour before using.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 212 calories
Protein 25 grams
Fat 9 grams
Sodium 286 milligrams
Cholesterol 66 milligrams
************************************************** ************************************

Potato Salad With Capers, Kalamata Olives and Artichoke Hearts

From our local newspaper. Use any thin skinned potatoes with a lower starch content. Can be served warm or chilled.

30 min 15 min prep
8 servings

2 lbs red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled
1/2 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
1/2 cup marinated artichokes, chopped
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons capers, drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt, to taste
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

1. In a large pot of boiling water cook the potatoes until fork tender.
2. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut up into chunks. If you wish, you can peel the potatoes before cutting up into chunks.
3. Add the potatoes to a salad bowl. Pour the vegetable broth over the potatoes and stir gently to coat.
4. Add the fresh parsley, kalamata olives, vinegar, green onion, capers and garlic. Toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. To serve warm, allow salad to sit for 30 minutes or chill to serve cold.
6. Just before serving, adjust seasonings if necessary.
7. Servings are estimated.
8. For Vegetarain option omit the chicken broth and use Vegetable broth.

Posted by cookgirl @ Recipezaar

lola777
05-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Just wanted to mention that I also make use of any leftover marinade in salads,
pasta, rice, & vegetable dishes (green beans, mushrooms & artichokes are esp. good), as a dipping sauce for crusty breads, in apps. such as stuffed mushrooms, over fish & even to saute or bake chicken breasts. I guess I'm compulsive about not wasting anything delicious! ;)

dneilson
05-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I got carried away with chick peas this week. This is my next to try hummus recipe.

Teresa’s Mom’s Most-Excellent Artichoke Hummus

"A vegan friend of mine gave me her mother's artichoke hummus recipe (her mom died two years ago of heart disease). It's awesome! I made a few tweaks for convenience sake -- the recipe is posted below." by JackieO-CL board

1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 15-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained
6 cloves of garlic, peeled (or 1-2 tsp. minced bottled garlic)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp Penzey’s California sweet paprika
1/2 tsp Penzey’s Aleppo pepper
1/2 tsp Penzey’s ground cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (1 oz oil and 3 oz chicken broth?)

1 Combine all ingredients except oil in food processor. Process until blended, then slowly add olive oil until ingredients are creamy.
2 Serve with pita wedges, crackers or vegetables.

posted by JackieO

Dolores

Bawstinn
05-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Another vote for the Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette. One of my favorite summer salads.

Middydd
05-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Another vote for the Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette. One of my favorite summer salads.

This sounds really good, is it a Cooking Light recipe?

Middydd
05-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I often make an Artichoke & Roasted Pepper Antipasto to serve on crackers. I just use jarred, roasted peppers. So easy. If I use marinated artichokes I leave out the olive oil because they usually have some in the marinade.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/101194

faygs
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
This sounds really good, is it a Cooking Light recipe?

Yes, it is. I have not made it yet, but want to. Here's the recipe:

Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette

Total time: 45 minutes. This salad is chock-full of zesty ingredients. If pitted kalamata olives are not available, press each olive with the flat side of a wide chef's knife to loosen the pits for easy removal.

1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 8 ounces)
2 cups bagged prewashed baby spinach, chopped
1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
3 tablespoons chopped red onion
3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
3/4 cup (3 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled and divided

Cook the orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; rinse with cold water. Combine orzo, spinach, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes, and add artichokes, reserved marinade, and 1/2 cup feta cheese to orzo mixture, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle each serving with remaining feta cheese.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups salad and about 1 tablespoon cheese)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 338(29% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 3.8g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 11.9g; CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 138mg; SODIUM 620mg; FIBER 5.1g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 52g

Barbara Lauterbach
Cooking Light, JUNE 2005

Apricot
05-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I made the Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinaigrette last night and it was delicious! I added more olives and artichoke hearts, some cukes and cauliflower (because I had them around) and found it needed a little more 'something' so I poured a little homemade Italian dressing over it. It is very tasty and I can't wait to share it with my vegetarian friend when we picnic this afternoon with our kids. Thanks for sharing such great recipes. I've got several more on my list to make.