PDA

View Full Version : Question About 5 Grain Daybreak Cookies...

mishquilt
05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Hello all.
I have this recipe from a thread which appeared a while back (I think it might be one of Valchemist's but I'm not sure).
Anyway, I made these last week (and they didn't last long). I was wondering though, if I want to make a "smoother" cookie (translation: fewer lumps and bumps to look more like a traditional cookie, and to have less texture), could I take half to three quarters of the cereal and give it a whirl in the food processor before adding it to the recipe? Would this be too much of a change for the recipe to work?
I actually made mine with white flour and ww pastry flour (I substituted one third cup of ww pastry flour) and they came out fine. I think my son might actually get past the whole grain appearance of the cookie (and might actually try them) if I change the texture.

I would appreciate your input.

I would have just tried it without asking but I purchase the last bag of Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain from my local supermarket and who knows when they will re-stock????
Incidentally, has anyone tried the cookie recipe from the Bob's Red Mill bag?
It is quite similar to the daybreak recipe.

thanks,
mishquilt

Elisabeth13
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I guess I don't have any definitive advice, as I have only baked that cookie recipe "as written", but I would be interested to hear what you find if put the cereal mix in the food processor. I'm not a very experienced baker, but it seems to me that they would still turn out okay.

valchemist
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd say they would probably be fine, but only one way to know for sure...

JackieO
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM

thanks,
mishquilt

I haven't, but a friend of mine did and she said the dough was more like batter and really hard to work with.

lindrusso
05-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Is it the recipe below?

Here is the history on these cookies (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=73617&highlight=breakfast+cookie). Val came up with the cookie version (based on the Bob's recipe) and I did a muffin version (http://savorynotebook.blogspot.com/2005/09/5-grain-muffins-with-fruit-and-nuts.html). The original recipe has way too much liquid and butter (especially to be called a cookie!), so we played around and came up with something that worked better.

5 Grain Rolled Cereal Daybreak Cookies

Great for a quick breakfast on the go.

Ingredients:
3 cups 5-Grain Rolled Cereal
2-1/4 cups White Flour, Unbleached
1-1/2 cups Butter
3 Eggs
1-1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1-1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Coconut Flakes
1 cup Cranberries
1 cup Pecan Halves
3/4 cup Water
2-1/4 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup Raisins (Unsulfured)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.

By hand or in a small chopper, chop pecans coarsely, set aside.

In another bowl blend butter, sugar, vanilla and water together. Beat eggs and add to butter mixture; stir flour mixture into egg and butter mixture; add cereal and all remaining ingredients, mix well.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be soft in center and edges lightly brown.

Yield: 24 cookies

NUTRITIONAL FACTS:
One cookie contains: 340 Calories, 160 Calories from Fat, 17g Total Fat, 9g Saturated Fat, 55mg Cholesterol, 240 mg Sodium, 45g Total Carbohydrates, 4g Dietary Fiber, 21g Sugars, 4g Protein.