PDA

View Full Version : Ginger Paste

little_bopeep
05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Anyone here use ginger paste? I was wondering how it measures out against fresh or ground ginger.

TIA!

mrswaz
05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I've used it. And while it's not quite the same as using fresh, it's really convenient to have around. I use it in Indian food and stir fries, and really couldn't tell the difference between that and fresh. Now if I were making something that was heavy on the ginger, I would probably use fresh because I think you could tell in large quantities. (Think bottled garlic, sometimes it's okay, sometimes not.)

Can't really compare it to ground because I only use the ground in baked goods.

Goin' Coastal
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I have one of those little jars of ginger in the fridge - anyone know how long they last? I don't seem to use ginger very often.

kcmo727
05-15-2007, 10:20 PM
I have only used it in marinades so far but it is great -- it has a really good ginger flavor/aroma.

mrswaz
05-16-2007, 08:39 AM
I have one of those little jars of ginger in the fridge - anyone know how long they last? I don't seem to use ginger very often.

I had a jar go bad and it was obviously growing fuzz, so as long as it's not growing I think you'll be fine.

Canice
05-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I've never heard of ginger paste, but I always keep a jar of this on hand. It's not as pungent as fresh grated ginger but is good for certain things, such as dressings.

http://gingerpeople.com/images/minced.gif

ChocolatePam
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I've used it. And while it's not quite the same as using fresh, it's really convenient to have around. I use it in Indian food and stir fries, and really couldn't tell the difference between that and fresh. Now if I were making something that was heavy on the ginger, I would probably use fresh because I think you could tell in large quantities. (Think bottled garlic, sometimes it's okay, sometimes not.)

Can't really compare it to ground because I only use the ground in baked goods.

Ditto mrswaz. I use ginger paste if I am in a hurry and not depending on pronounced ginger flavor in the dish. I still mince/slice real ginger if I think the recipe needs the extra flavor. IMO, there is not as much of a difference in stir-frys with the ginger paste as there is if I use jarred minced garlic vs. mincing a fresh clove (I tend to tell more of a difference in the flavor with the jarred garlic).

bunnyrabbit
05-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Bo Peep, we can't agree about crazy-*** mothers-in-law, but perhaps we can have a sane conversation about ginger. Skip the tube stuff---it's a pale substitute. If you have an Asian grocery in your area, get a plastic container of the "sushi ginger" and dice it as needed in your recipes. It lasts forever, tastes wonderful, and really makes an Oriental recipe "bloom."

Robyn1007
05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Bunnyrabbit, I have a question for you. When you say "sushi ginger" do you mean the pickled ginger? If so, to me it has a very different flavor than regular ginger root that I also enjoy but in some applications it wouldn't work at all for my tastes. Obviously if it works for you great but I just wanted to give a heads up to others if it's what I'm thinking of.

bunnyrabbit
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, I meant pickled "sushi ginger"---I do try and keep fresh ginger root, as well, but can't always use it up before it goes soft and gets that spotty black mold on it!

Robyn1007
05-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Yes, I meant pickled "sushi ginger"---I do try and keep fresh ginger root, as well, but can't always use it up before it goes soft and gets that spotty black mold on it!

Ginger root freezes quite nicely.

leightx
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Ginger root does freeze quite well - it's one the best tips I've gotten from CLBB! I just toss a chunk of root in the freezer, then peel it and grate with a microplane as needed. It grates much more nicely when it's frozen too - it's almost powdery (with the microplane at least), and not stringy at all. Since I figured out this handy trick I haven't needed to buy bottled ginger!

aggie94
05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Another good and convenient substitute, IMO, is ginger juice. It's made by Ginger People, the same company that makes the jarred ginger that Canice posted. And it keeps in the fridge forever. I never buy ginger root anymore unless I have a recipe that calls for sliced ginger.