PDA

View Full Version : Orange Mocha at Starbucks

EllenL
05-16-2007, 11:13 AM
It's back for the summer, as frappucionos or hot or iced. I had it iced this morning. Yum! Dark chocolate and orange (didn't get much of a coffee taste since these two flavors are so strong). Supposedly the orange flavoring used in it is really from oranges. Only negative was that it's a little more expensive than some of the other drinks.

erinl
05-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Ooh, they aren't advertising this around here, yet. That sounds good. I vowed that I wouldn't be wooed by their new drinks anymore, (1 friend convinced me to try the dulce de leche latte and it was awful), but I may have to make an exception.

DeeK
05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Ooh, they aren't advertising this around here, yet. That sounds good. I vowed that I wouldn't be wooed by their new drinks anymore, (1 friend convinced me to try the dulce de leche latte and it was awful), but I may have to make an exception.

I didn't care for the Dulce de Leche either. But I love the Pumpkin Latte that they serve in the fall. Now that is some kinda good!

BaileyJune
05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
That sounds delicious!

I LOVED the full fat dulce de leche latte! The first time I ordered it I forgot to ask for skim and no whipped cream, and it was delicous and rich. The only other time I ordered it, I did ask for their most lightened version, and it wasn't nearly as tasty.

lawyergirl
05-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I had the orange mocha this morning ........it was perfect for the cool morning air......try it your like it

JHaris
05-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Can't wait to try this combo. Is there much difference in taste between the hot and cold? I am wondering which temperature brings out these flavors, my favorites, more. It sounds so delicious.

little_bopeep
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
They used to make a Mocha Valencia Latte in the fall, but I don't think they do anymore. What I've been doing is ordering a hot chocolate with a half shot of espresso and a double shot of orange syrup, and it's virtually the same. This one sounds like a pretty good substitute!

EllenL
05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
That's a good question, JHarris, but I don't know. I've only had the cold version. I usually get cold drinks unless it's extremely cold outside just because I find it more refreshing and thirst-quenching (not that a drink like this is meant to just quench thirst---it's more like a dessert). All I know is that it had a strong enough orange taste that didn't seem artificial and deep chocolate. I know people knock Starbucks and that it's nice to have nonchain coffee shops, but there is a lot of quality products at SB and this is definitely one of them! It almost seems like it would be something you would get in some little cafe in Europe (or at least I'm trying to convince myself of that since travel to Europe isn't in the picture!).

coventry kid
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Acording to our newspapers we will be getting a Starbucks in the little town I live in:)

It's back for the summer, as frappucionos or hot or iced. I had it iced this morning. Yum! Dark chocolate and orange (didn't get much of a coffee taste since these two flavors are so strong). Supposedly the orange flavoring used in it is really from oranges. Only negative was that it's a little more expensive than some of the other drinks.

MaryH
05-18-2007, 04:55 PM
You guys are killing me. :)

It's at the one by my our house (which seems to get all the roll outs before the rest of the county for some reason). Here' my long winded order because the normal way it's made its way TOO sweet

double tall (if it's afternoon insert "half caf" here) nonfat orange mocha with two pumps of orange and two pumps of mocha, light whip

(Try getting that one repaeted correctly. :cool: )

I tried one this afternoon and have to say it will probably replace my "double tall.... toffe nut latte" for the foreseeable future.

And for all you barristas out there: is there a difference between the orange syrup used in this and the "valencia" that they used to have? and does the syrup come in a sugar free version? (just think, another thing I could add to my order :p :D )

Oh, and here they have started putting warmers in all the stores and are marketing some pretty good breakfast sandwiches for $2.95. Since we are typically a test market, I don't know if the sandwiches are a nationwide roll out or just a local thing.)

misskitty100
05-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh, and here they have started putting warmers in all the stores and are marketing some pretty good breakfast sandwiches for $2.95. Since we are typically a test market, I don't know if the sandwiches are a nationwide roll out or just a local thing.)

We have had breakfast sandwiches for at least a year at our Starbucks in the Seattle area. I haven't had one but they do look good!

luv2cook
05-18-2007, 08:34 PM
what's a warmer? for what?

misskitty100
05-18-2007, 08:59 PM
what's a warmer? for what?

I think she meant a warmer for warming foods up....I don't think they use a microwave (thank goodness). The breakfast sandwiches are similar to an Egg McMuffin and are held in their pastry case. Since they are not made to order, they would need to be warmed before eating.

EllenL
05-19-2007, 03:46 PM
QUOTE=MaryH;1218790] Here' my long winded order because the normal way it's made its way TOO sweet

double tall (if it's afternoon insert "half caf" here) nonfat orange mocha with two pumps of orange and two pumps of mocha, light whip
[/QUOTE]

Wow, Mary, you've got to give the baristas a LOT of credit for getting that order right! But I couldn't follow how the double pumps of each makes it less sweet...

DeeK
05-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I had an Orange Mocha Frappacino today. YUM! Pumpkin is still my favorite, but this one was pretty good. ;)

MaryH
05-19-2007, 08:51 PM
QUOTE=MaryH;1218790] Here' my long winded order because the normal way it's made its way TOO sweet

Wow, Mary, you've got to give the baristas a LOT of credit for getting that order right! But I couldn't follow how the double pumps of each makes it less sweet...[/QUOTE]

It does because normally they put 3 OF EACH into a small (tall) drink - and the additional coffee cuts it a bit as well. :D

misskitty100
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I had to try this today thanks to the reviews I read here. I ordered a tall iced decaf 1% and told the barista I wanted "light" flavorings as I don't like really sweet drinks. She did 1 1/2 pumps of the orange and chocolate and it was perfect for me. The flavors were there but not overly sweet. I thought this was delicious and refreshing. I would definitely order it again.

Thanks to everyone that posted on this!

Capucine
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Okay, I went to Starbucks and I only saw the Orange Creme Frap. It was just okay, imo.

EllenL
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
The orange creme frap is not the same as the mocha orange. They messed up our order the other day and gave us the orange creme. We didn't try it---we could immediately tell that it wasn't right (a pale orange versus the dark chocolate of the orange mocha). We had it redone. It was good, but fraps are a little too icy for me and I think you lose some of the flavor. Try a regular orange mocha---

ErinM
05-22-2007, 11:42 PM
For me, orange anything (except oranges.) is a big yuck.

But I love, love, love the Cinnamon Dolce Latte!

misskitty100
05-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Okay, I went to Starbucks and I only saw the Orange Creme Frap. It was just okay, imo.

If they are making Orange Creme Frap's they can make the Orange Mocha for you too. Maybe it just isn't listed on the menu but if they have the orange syrup they can make the Orange Mocha.

Cinnamon Crazy
05-23-2007, 02:34 AM
They can now do light creme fraps, which taste pretty close to regular.

Speaking of complicated drinks, my favorite frap is the green tea ones, but this is how I order:

Venti Green Tea Frappacino, no melon (syrup is too sweet) with 5 scoops of Macha green tea powder (normally it's 4, but it's never strong enough) and no whip.

Now that they do light ones, that will be added to the order.

For a hot drink, it's a Triple Grande Cinnamon Percent Latte (Not the Dolce, just regular cinnamon) with cinnamon powder sprinkled on top.

DCook
05-23-2007, 04:57 AM
I for one don't understand why oranges and chocolate go together.

Capucine
05-23-2007, 06:18 AM
I will go back and order the orange mocha. ;) I don't really understand why orange & chocolate make a good combination, but they sure do. I love those two flavors combined!!

gertdog
05-23-2007, 06:32 AM
I tried the iced version yesterday (tall, skim, no whip) and thought it was tasty, but a little too sweet (probably b/c I cut out all the fat that would balance the sugary flavors!). I'd order it again, but ask for less syrup.

My favorite drink is still the Maple Macchiato, which was on the menu all too briefly last fall.

HARRYET
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
gertdog,

I ordered an ice orange mocha yesterday and I don't like my coffee to sweet. I asked the barista how many pumps of orange in the drink for a grande it was 4 pumps of orange and 4 pumps of mocha, I had her do 3 orange and 4 mocha, still a little sweet for me. Next time I'll try 2 orange and 4 mocha. Don't know if any of that helps you but I hope it does.

Enjoy, Ann

misskitty100
05-23-2007, 06:13 PM
I had my 2nd iced orange mocha today and it was as good as the first! Both times with 1 1/2 "pumps" of syrup and chocolate.

misskitty100
05-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Just popping in to say I went to Starbucks today and bought a bottle of their orange syrup. I am absolutely addicted to these drinks and at $3.50 each can't afford my habit much longer. The syrup only cost $6.95 for a HUGE bottle so now I can make my own at home whenever the mood hits!!;)

JHaris
05-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Finally, was at B&N this afternoon with DH and went over and got my first orange mocha frap. I liked it, but didn't really have much of the orange flavor. Maybe they skimped on how many pumps they put in, but it was tasty enuf to go get another one. I absolutely love the flavor of orange and chocolate and coffee together. I hate to think what would happen if someone put a box of chocolate orange cream candies in front of me. It would vanish in a flash, but this is slightly digressing from the original posting of this thread.

Happy weekend holiday to all. I'm sitting outside on a swing with laptop and the books I bought. Think that frap sort of spoiled my desire for the moment to cook supper. Could probably use another frap right now, but then I probably would have a tough time getting to sleep later:D

Joan

EllenL
05-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Finally, was at B&N this afternoon with DH and went over and got my first orange mocha frap. I liked it, but didn't really have much of the orange flavor. Maybe they skimped on how many pumps they put in, but it was tasty enuf to go get another one. I absolutely love the flavor of orange and chocolate and coffee together. I hate to think what would happen if someone put a box of chocolate orange cream candies in front of me. It would vanish in a flash, but this is slightly digressing from the original posting of this thread.
Joan

Actually, Joan, there are orange flavored chocolate candies that are wodnerful: Trader Joe's dark chocolate pieces filled with orange (not cream or exactly jelled---hard to describe! But check it out if you have a TJ's by you---you sound like a fellow orange-chocoholic!

You mentioned getting your drink at B & N. Did you happen to notice whether it was an actual Starbucks? The B & N "Starbucks" seemed different to us---different pastries (like from The Cheesecake Factory), different teas. Later we understood that it is not a true Starbucks, but that they just buy the rights to use Starbucks coffee products, so the drinks are possibly not quite as good as prepared by a true SB barista!

JHaris
05-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually, Joan, there are orange flavored chocolate candies that are wodnerful: Trader Joe's dark chocolate pieces filled with orange (not cream or exactly jelled---hard to describe! But check it out if you have a TJ's by you---you sound like a fellow orange-chocoholic!

You mentioned getting your drink at B & N. Did you happen to notice whether it was an actual Starbucks? The B & N "Starbucks" seemed different to us---different pastries (like from The Cheesecake Factory), different teas. Later we understood that it is not a true Starbucks, but that they just buy the rights to use Starbucks coffee products, so the drinks are possibly not quite as good as prepared by a true SB barista!
Interesting point that I didn't know about. Will try a stand-alone Starbucks to compare my next orange frap.

You have really put temptation in front of me:D . I have a TJ's only about 10 minutes away in a small shopping mall near Valley Forge... and it is next to a TJ Max.... can kill two birds with one stone. And I was planning on going to TJ Max today to get some new pillows. With allergies I get new pillows all the time and this has some of the best bargans for that. Ah, nibbling on orange chocolate candies and leaning back on new pillows... this is going to be a good day!!!!

EllenL
05-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Just consider it a trip for your health: new pillows, chocolate, orange---all have health benefits!

By the way, how often do you change your pillows? How do you know when they need to be changed? Does it make a difference in your allergies? I probably should be changing mine more often....

JHaris
05-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Just consider it a trip for your health: new pillows, chocolate, orange---all have health benefits!

By the way, how often do you change your pillows? How do you know when they need to be changed? Does it make a difference in your allergies? I probably should be changing mine more often....

The Dr. said to get rid of pillows about every six months. Mainly because of the dust mites which locate themselves in bedding. I saw a TV show a while back and what they showed under the microscope.... talk about the creeps.

Yes, it does help with the allergies since mine provoke asthma and I can tell when I am sleeping on fresh pillows. Usually go to BB&B, Linens 'n things, Tuesday Morning or TJ Maxx. They always have good buys on pillows and I don't feel like I am throwing money out the window. Wash DH's feather pillows in the washing machine about every 4 months to keep them clean.

luv2cook
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Now that is just mean!:p

golden1225
06-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Mmmm - I just tried the orange mocha!! It was fabulous. I had the hot version, not the frappucino. I've been craving one all morning, so I may have to take a trip over to my nearest Starbucks (which isn't very near at the moment) to get one. I'll have to justify that trip with a stop at Target....
;)
:) :)

swedish cook
06-09-2007, 04:57 PM
The Dr. said to get rid of pillows about every six months. Mainly because of the dust mites which locate themselves in bedding. I saw a TV show a while back and what they showed under the microscope.... talk about the creeps.

Yes, it does help with the allergies since mine provoke asthma and I can tell when I am sleeping on fresh pillows. Usually go to BB&B, Linens 'n things, Tuesday Morning or TJ Maxx. They always have good buys on pillows and I don't feel like I am throwing money out the window. Wash DH's feather pillows in the washing machine about every 4 months to keep them clean.

Do you have an IKEA nearby? They have great pillows at a great price. My personal favorite is "Gosa Blåsa" (transl. "Cuddle Bubble").

swedish cook
06-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Just popping in to say I went to Starbucks today and bought a bottle of their orange syrup. I am absolutely addicted to these drinks and at $3.50 each can't afford my habit much longer. The syrup only cost $6.95 for a HUGE bottle so now I can make my own at home whenever the mood hits!!;)

What a great idea! That's exactly what I need. Saint Louis Bread (now called Panera outside Missouri) used to serve "Cafe Borgia" flavored with chocolate and orange and topped with whip. Mmmmm! What a killer - but so was Lucrezia Borgia.

DeeK
06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
What a great idea! That's exactly what I need. Saint Louis Bread (now called Panera outside Missouri) used to serve "Cafe Borgia" flavored with chocolate and orange and topped with whip. Mmmmm! What a killer - but so was Lucrezia Borgia.

Ooooohhh - I had forgotten about Cafe Borgia. That was one of my FAVORITES. :)

tea4one
06-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I tried one today, had it hot and I didn't like it. I think it had too much of an orange flavor. last week I tried the iced carmel Macchiato (spelling?) and I liked that. I seen cafe mocha on the menu so may try that next when I am near one as the chocolate in the orange mocha wasn't bad.

heavy hedonist
06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
That's a good question, JHarris, but I don't know. I've only had the cold version. I usually get cold drinks unless it's extremely cold outside just because I find it more refreshing and thirst-quenching (not that a drink like this is meant to just quench thirst---it's more like a dessert). All I know is that it had a strong enough orange taste that didn't seem artificial and deep chocolate. I know people knock Starbucks and that it's nice to have nonchain coffee shops, but there is a lot of quality products at SB and this is definitely one of them!

I had an orange mocha, iced, recently--- i never drink these frou-frou drinks, but my honeypie, who works at a Starby's, got one for me one hot hot day. very real, deep chocolate taste-- of course, I DO love orange chocolate, but not usually in my java. It wasn't sickening sweet, though I can always do without the whipped stuff on top. But very lush, and filling as well, to me. It wouldn't replace my morning coffee, but as a pick-me-up treat, WoW!!!

JHaris
06-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Finally, on our way to Hilton Head Island last weekend, I got my first orange mocha, unfortunately the girl who took the order ended up giving both DH and me the orange cream frap.... definitely something I would not even order again. Can't vary the % of milk.... " it comes already mixed" and since several orders of other people had also gotten screwed up, peole were walking out absolutely in a snit. We didn't have time to have them remade. So early Sunday morning when we arrived to HHI, we stopped again and got a hot true orange mocha. Now having just driven 100 miles without having morning coffee, possibly anything would have hit the spot, but this was good. Have to head back to the shop which, thankfully, isn't too far away, just across from the supermarket that I seem to frequent every other day, I can indulge with 1% milk. Really love that orange chocolate mix. I am going to write down the previous formulas that have been posted and see if I can get the perfect hot/cold beverage.

Thanks for everyone's input... can't wait to try the various combos. Now if they only had TJ's down here so I could get the candy otherwise I will have to wait 3 weeks.