PDA

View Full Version : We're expecting snow tonight!

newcook
05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Granted it won't be much snow, but still, I wanted to plant my flowers and herbs on the weekend. UGH!

donnamp14
05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Yikes! Where are you?

I was told years and years ago by a gardener that hre in New England I should never put plants into the ground before the final full moon in May. I think we had that a week or so ago....

-Donna

newcook
05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm in Montreal, I wonder if it is a record

donnamp14
05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
The weather people are telling us that we're getting some cold air "from the north". I guess you've got it first! How frustating to us gardeners!!!!

Stay warm and dry!

-Donna

EllenL
05-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Every time I've been to Montreal (several times on vacation, because I love it---nothing better than the Botanical Garden), I tell DH that it's a city I'd love to live in. He always replies "yeah, but you'd HATE the winters!" Guess that needs to be expanded to "and some of the springs!"

It's a shame. I know lots of people in Montreal have window boxes, which are always so pretty...

ClaraB
05-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Living in New Brunswick, we never planted tender plants before Victoria Day weekend, because you never know when it's going to freeze...

Autumnsun
When I moved to Maine many, many years ago it was snowing at the end of May. I called home crying asking what have I gotten myself into.:(

ChefBrenda
it was pouring rain here today, but it was really humid earlier this morning so hopefully it cooled things off.

wallycat
05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Granted it won't be much snow, but still, I wanted to plant my flowers and herbs on the weekend. UGH!

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky you!! :) :)

(ducking from flying rocks)

badunnin
05-16-2007, 05:45 PM
SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky you!! :) :)

(ducking from flying rocks)

(Cowering with Ana in the corner) I want snow too!

lindrusso
05-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Come on Bethany and Ana, don't you like things like fresh basil and tomatoes out of the garden? It's got to stop being cold for that to happen! ;) :D

Snow in May??? UGH!

I am hoping to get some plants this weekend, but I'll keep my eye on the temps - it got really cold here at night last week. I'll mostly be container gardening (so that I can take all summer to build a few gardening plots out in the yard), so I guess I can always bring them in the garage......

badunnin
05-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Come on Bethany and Ana, don't you like things like fresh basil and tomatoes out of the garden? It's got to stop being cold for that to happen! ;) :D

Sure, but I also REALLY ENJOYED the Moroccan lamb stew that I had for dinner tonight, with all the nice, warm spices and the lamb and the pine nuts and the bits of potato..... Not nearly as enjoyable in July!

lindrusso
05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Sure, but I also REALLY ENJOYED the Moroccan lamb stew that I had for dinner tonight, with all the nice, warm spices and the lamb and the pine nuts and the bits of potato..... Not nearly as enjoyable in July!

I hear you on that one. There was a nip in the air the other night so I took advantage of it and whipped up a pot of soup.

It would be ideal if we could have intermittent soup days throughout the summer - as long as they didn't ruin the garden. ;)

But no snow. You can have chilly soup weather without snow! :D

badunnin
05-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I hear you on that one. There was a nip in the air the other night so I took advantage of it and whipped up a pot of soup.

It would be ideal if we could have intermittent soup days throughout the summer - as long as they didn't ruin the garden. ;)

But no snow. You can have chilly soup weather without snow! :D

As long as I get snow all winter, I'll give you the intermittent chilly, snow-less days in May, June, July, August and September. However, given the relative lack of snow that I've experienced in recent years, I'm going to have to push for snow in May, possibly September as well, although that's negotiable if there was snow in April.

Can we get a contract lawyer to draw something up on this?

lindrusso
05-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Can we get a contract lawyer to draw something up on this?

I don't know, if you want snow in May, I don't think we have anything to talk about. I'd be happy if I didn't see snow after January. However, I realize that's unrealistic and the skiiers, including my son, wouldn't have much fun, so I can go as late as the end of March.

However, if you keep the snow in MI and don't let it get to PA, you can have all the snow you want, any time you want it.

So, did Montreal end up with any snow?

newcook
05-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Well if it snowed it must not have been much because I didn't see any. Today they are saying we are supposed to break a record for cold. Of course, now I don't trust them to predict properly so we will see.