PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight too fast?

potato_moose
06-01-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm one of the "Beck" people (see our thread for more details) and I started my diet 4 days ago, after 2 weeks of getting ready and just trying not to overeat. In those 4 days I've lost 3 pounds :eek: Now, about 10 of the pounds that I need to lose are baby weight--from my 2 year old, though, not my 4 month old--I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant the second time.

Should I be worried? This seems like such a goofy reason to be concerned, but I've never lost weight this fast. I'm counting calories, and figure that I have eaten 1300-1500 calories a day. For exercise I'm doing my elliptical trainer, adding one minute each day (I'm currently at 13 minutes). I want to add some strength training when I get up to 20 minutes.

What do you think?

greysangel
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Generally the first few days is water weight so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The more you have to lose, the more you lose in the first few days. If you are still losing that quickly next week, you may want to up your calorie intake with healthy food choices. As you increase your physical activity you may find you are hungrier and need more fuel anyway :D

funniegrrl
06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Yes, when you first start a program you often lose very quickly the first week. It takes 2 or 3 weeks to get to what your normal loss patterns will be. The reason, as mentioned, is that your body releases a lot of water at first. The most common reason is that your body uses more glycogen (stored muscle fuel) when you aren't eating a ton of carbohydrates. Also, your body is having to turn to that stored fuel as well as fat because you are taking in fewer calories than you need. That fuel is packed with water, so when you burn it off, the water goes, too. In addition, most people increase their fluid intake when they start a program, so your hydration levels are adequate and your body doesn't hoard water.

There's a great article on this and other scale-related topics that I always encourage anyone to read when they are trying to lose weight: Why the Scale Lies (http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm)

TKay
06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi potato_moose :)

Also, remember that when you are weight-training, you'll add on muscle. That weighs more than fat. So let your body lose that fat now and then you'll be ready to pack on some lean muscle mass. It burns more calories!

Years ago, I went to a personal trainer. I was thin at the time, but weak and didn't have that much stamina. When we first started working together, I expected to lose weight. Instead, I gained. She was pleased about that. I was outraged! She said, I want you to gain another three or four pounds and then you'll be in good shape.

Maybe this is what will happen for you. In the meantime, enjoy your success!

Gumbeaux
06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Seems like you're having those moments of doubt when you experience unbelievable success.

Reported!!!!!!

Cookin4Love
06-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Even though I'm "doing" Weight Watchers, I'm also implementing some of the Beck Principles. I'm at the ninth week of my weight loss journey, and lost over 4 pounds this week. However, I'm focusing on nutrient-dense foods and healthy exercise, and I don't go around hungry. All that, just to say that there will be times that you drop a big chunk of weight. You don't want to do it week after week, but it will happen sometimes. At this point, I certainly don't think you have anything to be concerned about.