PDA

View Full Version : Pork Tenderloin WAAAAAYY too salty

lcs113
06-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi......I bought an already marinated onion and garlic pork tenderloin at Costco about a month ago. When we ate the first half ( it was huge) it was very salty. Does anyone know any way to neutralize the saltiness?

Robyn1007
06-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Oooh, that's gonna be a tough one. The only thing I can think of is some sort of sweeter sauce with no salt. Maybe something tomato based? Sorry I can't help more.

sneezles
06-29-2007, 05:41 PM
The only suggestion I would have is to cut it up and make it part of a casserole or some other "mixed" entree...fried rice comes to mind.

lcs113
06-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for your help, I think I will probably try the sweet sauce route in addition to rinsing off all of the marinade on the outside.

Jewel
06-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree with Sneezles on this one, I would make it into something else. Fried Rice would be great!

I learned the hard way on any pre-marinated meat. Never again! I bought a pre-marinated pork roast once that was not only so salty we could barely eat it, but the quality of the pork was so awful! So much fat that maybe 30%of the roast was edible...and that meat was so salty that it was worthless! :( Never again!

lindaofthelakes
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Nover tried this but a thought - Could you soak in ice water overnight like one does with country hams to get rid of some of their saltiness?

kathyann
06-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Nover tried this but a thought - Could you soak in ice water overnight like one does with country hams to get rid of some of their saltiness?

This should work. You are essentially "unmarinating" it. The principle is the same no matter how the salt got in there in the first place.... soaking in unsalted water will draw the salt out of the meat in order to drive a balance in salinity between the inside and the outside. It may also draw out whatever flavor was imparted along with the salt in the marinade, so you might need to season the pork when you are done soaking it.

Chelle D
06-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd probably go the stir-fry route too. I'm in a freezer cooking club and received some marineated pork chops once that were too salty. They were unedible plain, but sliced into strips and added to a stir fry worked great and I did not need to add any other seasonings to the entire dish.

fstrpstr
06-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Rinsing might help. I would make it into a pepper crusted tenderlion, which might over power the saltiness.

lcs113
06-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, I soaked the tenderloin in ice water all day, even changing the water a few times then cooked it on the grill with barbecue sauce hoping the between the sweetness of the sauce and the "un-marinating " it would taste okay. It was still a little salty but not nearly as bad as last time. Thanks for all of your suggestions.......no more pre-marinated pork loins for me!