PDA

View Full Version : What do you loathe doing?

Deechef
07-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I woke up this morning with a wicked sore throat. I rarely get sick (knocking on wood as I type) so was really pi$$ed. OK...........work has to get done anyway. One chore just fries me. I love cooking, love food shopping, love shopping in general. I don't mind cleaning. I love to iron. I love planting and don't mind mowing the lawn. Laundry is fine. Polishing brass , copper and silver is a pleasure when I have time. But I loathe weeding. Its a never ending job. When I see weeds I see red. Why do they come back when I have pulled them all already????:( If anyone hates to iron I will trade you in a nanno second. What chores makes you see red?

DeeK
07-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Ohhh, that's an easy one. I hate cleaning window blinds! That is such a tedious job!

HejazSunKat
07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I love to iron. If anyone hates to iron I will trade you in a nanno second.

Can I be first in line for that offer? Ironing was the first thing that came to mind! :D Mending anything is right up there too. DH has a pair of pants that's been sitting on his dresser for over a month waiting for a button to be put back on the waist band (where did that danged thing go anyway?).

sneezles
07-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Why do they come back when I have pulled them all already????:(

I'm right there with ya! Hate, detest, avoid weeding. The reason they keep coming back is because Mother Nature doesn't like bare ground. I learned this in my Master Gardener's course...thought if I understood it better I'd enjoy it more. Nope, now I'd just as soon pull up all the flower beds than continue this torment!:mad:

Romandub
07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Loathe is probably too strong a word for how I feel about these, but I REALLY don't like the following: 1) unloading dishwasher; 2) folding and putting away laundry and 3) drying my hair. Don't ask me why, I just don't like doing those things. OK with most everything else. Thankfully, DH does the dishes and the laundry. So far, he is declining to dry the hair...;)

charley
07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I'll gladly help Linda pull weeds if you'll do my ironing and mending. :p

Deechef
07-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Can I be first in line for that offer? Ironing was the first thing that came to mind! :D Mending anything is right up there too. DH has a pair of pants that's been sitting on his dresser for over a month waiting for a button to be put back on the waist band (where did that danged thing go anyway?).

Hey........you live in New England so it might be a go ;) I love mending too. When you come to my house to weed I'll cook for you. And when I come to your house to iron and mend you'll cook for me :D

Sneezles.......I guess we need mulch???

stefania4
07-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I despise going to the post office to mail packages. I have to do it for every birthday & holiday (unless I order online & have it shipped), and I dread waiting in that long, inefficient, never-ending line for the sake of getting a tin of cookies & a pair of earrings to Mom. Whenever possible, I send DH. :D

Cleaning bathrooms and household filing (health insurance EOBs, bank statements, etc.) are on the list, too.

Jezebelly
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
It would be easier to list household chores I like doing. A shorter list for sure.

#1 most hated chore might be cleaning the litterbox. Emptying the dishwasher is a close second, followed by scrubbing the bathtubs and showers.

Jazzmatazz49
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I cannot stand any kind of yard work.

wallycat
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't believe in yard work. That is why I have a DH :D :p ;) He actually ENJOYS yard stuff!! Go figure.

I detest housework/cleaning. My house shows it. I don't care :eek: :eek:

ErinM
07-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Vacuuming and doing the dishes rank up there. I hate dishes because I don't have a dishwasher anymore, and I still mourn

The only type of cleaning I LIKE to do is the "straighten up/organize/put things away cleaning.

Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom/kitchen, etc, well I'd be absolutely thrilled if I didn't have to do those things. Ever. Wait, except clean the kitchen. If I make a mess cooking, then yes, I will clean that up.

I also don't like laundry because I have to pay to use it.

cherylopal
07-08-2007, 05:53 PM
cleaning toilets

and

dusting!

ick to both- the first one is obviously icky but dusting is worthless- such a pain and then dusty right away again. i don't have a lot of knick knacks but moving those i have is a pain.

Jewel
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
That's easy.....coming home from Costco.

Making four trips out to the car to bring all the stuff in because we don't ask for boxes, finding a place for everything and putting it away, stacking the meat on the counter so I can break out the FoodSaver bags and start the Stuff & Suck marathon that can easily take up to 45 minutes. ARRGH! :mad:

Can you tell I just finished a Stuff & Suck marathon? :p

AZgal
07-08-2007, 06:34 PM
dusting is worthless- such a pain and then dusty right away again. i don't have a lot of knick knacks but moving those i have is a pain.

Absolutely agreed! That's why I like light oak furniture....harder to see the dust!:D

Jessica
07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Yard work and dusting. Also, this year I added a new one--cleaning up after baby stomach viruses. :eek:

I don't mind any kind of kitchen work and other chores are boring but not detested in the same way as above.

sneezles
07-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Sneezles.......I guess we need mulch???

That and multi-mm thick plastic plus some idiot to do the weeding cause even with heavy mulch and heavy plastic there are still weeds. Just not worth the effort...let there be grass and have the DH mow it!:p

Romandub
07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Ditto on the yard work! When DS graduate from HS last year, the graduation gift I gave myself was a yard guy! :D On principle, I refused to pay someone to do my yard while I had a teen-age son at home, even though his yard skills left a lot to be desired IMHO! Now I LOVE coming home on Fridays and seeing a beautifully mowed, edged and swept yard and the pool deck and area clean and free of any debris. Pure bliss, I tell you!!!!

Canice
07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
I kind of like washing dishes! :o DBF doesn't have a dishwasher; I have one but only use it about twice a year.

I *would* say ironing, but I simply don't do it; clothes either go unironed or get laundered professionally.

I noticed Romandub's choice of "drying my hair". I've never understood why I hate drying my hair in the morning...because it's tedious?...but I sure do. My hair is now shoulder-length, so it doesn't even take very long, but when my hair dryer died, I was kind of glad, and haven't yet replaced it. What an odd thing to hate doing -- anyone else with us on that one?

Romandub
07-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Canice--I am SO glad to hear I am not the only one who hates drying hair. HAve no idea why and it doesn't even take me that long because I have short hair--5-7 minutes max. But I just hate it, nonetheless. My sister who has long curly hair, won't even talk to me about this--it takes her 30-45 minutes to do her hair. I think I would shave my head first!!!:eek:

sneezles
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
What an odd thing to hate doing -- anyone else with us on that one?

I spent over 40 years fighting my natural curl by blow drying my hair. Never a tight curl but just enough wave or wrinkle as I like to say to prevent me from letting it air dry...No More! I now wear my hair short and curly, use a de-frizzer and let it do it's thing! I've gotten more compliments in the past 6 months than every before! So while DH loves my hair shoulder length and curled I no longer have to straighten and then curl the stuff!!!:cool:

applecrisp
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Hate drying my hair -- it probably takes close to 45-55 minutes to dry it and flat iron. And even then it doesn't always look good. Sometimes I get so overheated that I want to jump back in the shower.

I even just posted a question a few days ago about the newest gadget that I bought (Conair Infiniti) that I didn't think would help but so worth a try. It didn't. At least for the first time trying it.

I have been known to wake up, look in the mirror to see if my hair looked semi presentable, and if did, reset my alarm and go back to sleep. :D

Don't like cleaning my bath tub too.

beacooker
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
The dumbest thing I loathe to do is brush my teeth at night. I don't mind doing it in the morning, but at night I always make sure to do it for 2 full minutes, and every night I dread it. How lame is that?

Terri_A
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Loathe is probably too strong a word for how I feel about these, but I REALLY don't like the following: 1) unloading dishwasher; 2) folding and putting away laundry and 3) drying my hair. Don't ask me why, I just don't like doing those things. OK with most everything else. Thankfully, DH does the dishes and the laundry. So far, he is declining to dry the hair...;)

Except for the reference to a husband, I would have sworn that I posted this!!! I can't stand emptying the dishwasher, folding laundry and drying my hair. I've always told the girl who does my hair that if I ever won the lottery one of the luxuries I would give myself would be to pay her to come dry my hair every day!!! She always tells me I just need to call and she'll be here!

leightx
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't say I loathe doing it, but I have a mental block against going to the bank and the Post Office. I hate it when people give me checks because they sit around here undeposited for months! And if we didn't pay our bills online, we'd probably be in big trouble. The stupid thing is once I go to either place, it's never really that bad... :rolleyes:

I also seem to have a mental block against putting laundry away. I'm ok doing it, folding it, and putting it in the baskets to go in the rooms - it's the act of putting it in the drawers that seems to great a task!

little_bopeep
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I hate to mop my kitchen floor. But then again, my motto is, "Your floor isn't too far gone until your socks stick to it."

ClaraB
07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Cleaning the shower stall in our master bath - I don't know why, but I will put it off for far too long, until I happen to take a shower with my contacts in :eek: :o ...

cookieee
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=Deechef;1239709]I woke up this morning with a wicked sore throat. I rarely get sick (knocking on wood as I type) so was really pi$$ed.QUOTE]

Is that what they call it now?:D (re: to too much 19th hole;) ) Really, I am sorry you are not feeling well. I hope you are better by now. Must have been too much dampness down here. I am sorry.

Canice
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Hate drying my hair -- it probably takes close to 45-55 minutes to dry it and flat iron. And even then it doesn't always look good. Sometimes I get so overheated that I want to jump back in the shower....

:eek: OMG, I should definitely shut up about it. I dry my hair, but don't style it. It probably takes 5 minutes. :o It's naturally wavy, so depending on the hair products, drying method, and effort, my hair comes out: wavy, straight, full, flat, or awful. Usually something in between. I just spin the wheel and take what I get! Also, there's no electrical outlet in my bathroom (one of the few downsides of my 90 y.o. apartment) so the only viable method for me is the one practiced in grade 9 locker rooms: Plug 'er in, tip your head over, and hope for the best! :rolleyes: :p

vbak
07-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Some of the things I hate to do are: blow drying my hair cuz thenI have to curl it, hauling the groceries in and putting them away, writing the monthly checks, vaccuming-DH does it, and empting the DW. Ug.

honeygirl1971
07-09-2007, 04:20 AM
I don't mind dishes and actually like laundry and everything associated with it (stain removal--I am a master :D , folding, ironing, etc.), but I hate vaccuuming and mopping. With a very mobile baby at home, it has to be done very often, and I find it very tedious.

I have long, fairly thick, wavy hair, and don't like blowdrying it either, but it's not like anyone forced me to have long hair, so I feel like I can't complain about that! ;) But since having our baby, I have opted for braids, a ballerina bun, or other "styles" (used very loosely, since they do not look that great) fairly often to avoid having to find time to blow-dry. It looks soooo much better when I blow it out, though, so whenever I'm doing more than just basic errands etc., I do try to do it.

Canice, I watched a program on television recently all about making your house safer (for children, especially), and they said that you should never blow dry your hair in the bathroom, that there is too much risk of electrocution! I just said, yeah, right...but your method is definitely safer than what most of the rest of us do! ;)

badunnin
07-09-2007, 05:51 AM
The dumbest thing I loathe to do is brush my teeth at night. I don't mind doing it in the morning, but at night I always make sure to do it for 2 full minutes, and every night I dread it. How lame is that?

ME TOO! In the morning I brush in the shower, so it's just part of the routine. In the evening it seems to be such a hassle....

sparrowgrass
07-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Vacuuming. If they could make a silent vacuum, I would be much happier.

testkitchen45
07-09-2007, 06:39 AM
I learned this in my Master Gardener's course...

Wait just a second here. You're a restaurateur AND a Master Gardener? Sheesh. What an underachiever I must be. ;) :)

This thread is giving me some smiles this morning. :) I hate doing yard work b/c at least with housework, you can crank up the A/C. I have fifty gazillion window-blind slats that all need individual dusting; haven't done it since I did the cleaning-cram that we all do right before Thanksgiving (to perpetuate the myth for our guests that we really do live in a photo-op-ready, spotless house every second of every day, even with kids ;) ). And I may get banned from the BB for admitting this, but sometimes I'd much rather clean up the kitchen than cook anything in it. :eek: :confused: I think it's because at least then, I know I'll have a pretty kitchen at the end of all that time and effort--with trying new recipes, however, you can end up with a disastrously sloppy kitchen, thrown-out food, and a takeout-pizza box on the island. :D

Krysia1031
07-09-2007, 07:14 AM
I am with all of you on the drying your hair. It takes me 20-25 minutes to dry my hair because it is long and frizzy. :mad:

I also loathe WASHING THE FLOORS. We have hardfloors throughout our whole house and we have a wonderful little dog that seems to shed in every little nook and cranny in the house. I know there are swifters and other gizmos, but they never really clean the floors enough unless I get on my hands & knees and give it a good washing. Sometimes I wish I had carpet everywhere, but then I would probably loathe vaccuming! :o

Cookin4Love
07-09-2007, 08:24 AM
The only thing I truly loathe is paying bills and managing paperwork. For some reason, it stresses me beyond belief. I have no idea why.

Like many others, I really don't like drying my hair. I've given in to the curl to reduce the time, and just take about 5 minutes with a diffuser to shape it a little bit. The other thing that helps, especially if I am taking time to straighten it, is that I read a magazine while I do my hair. Weird, huh? I used to read while I put on my makeup,too, but with glasses now, that doesn't work because I can't see.

I don't like ironing, so I just take everything that needs it to the $1.75 cleaners and have it dry-cleaned instead.

I ALMOST loathe straightening clutter. We are pretty good about keeping things neat, but it still seems to take me 2 hours to make sure everything is in it's rightful place the night before the housekeeper comes (every 2 weeks).

hollysmom
07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
That and multi-mm thick plastic plus some idiot to do the weeding cause even with heavy mulch and heavy plastic there are still weeds. Just not worth the effort...let there be grass and have the DH mow it!:p

Actually thick layers of Newspapers under the mulch do as good a job as plastic, biodegrades on its own, and doesn't get caught in the tiller the next year. It's just not a job to do on a windy day.

Scooping the cat box stinks.

SSM

SDMomChef
07-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Definitely yard work....I *hate* weeds and I have a very bizarre aversion to roots - they just give me the hibby jibby - so pale white and gross looking. YUCK!

Kay Henderson
07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Interesting thread.

DH and I are on a kick to reduce the amount of time we spend doing chores.

He hates staining the decks each spring. This fall, we will be replacing the wood with Trex.

I am working on reducing the time required to maintain the yard on our double lot. I don't mind weeding. (I'd have to be soul-dead not to enjoy looking at Mount Tallac and the Rubicon Range.) HOWEVER, it is nice to have enough of a life to do other things as well during our growing season. About a month ago, we had a local landscaping company remove all vegetation except a tree and certain shrubs in the large border in our front yard. Part of it was replaced with sod. Compost was tilled in, and new plants and top dressing were applied to the remainder. This was expensive, but the time required to maintain this area is now PERMANENTLY reduced. I will be doing some of this sort of thing myself on other beds and borders and hiring out some of it. The objective is to spend my time permanently reduce maintenance rather than put out fires.

With regard to housework, after having a house cleaner the years I worked, I elected to spend the money other ways after we retired. My SLT house is twice as large as my previous house. (We bought a view and it had a house attached to it.) Not surprisingly, I found myself dragging my heels on these chores. My SIL suggested listening to tapes. This has worked out great, as I have listened to books I would not have otherwise taken the time to read. This has also worked well when cleaning and detailing our sailboat.

I understand people's dislike of styling hair. I read as I blow dry and use the curling iron.

Kay

___Rhianna___
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I loathe paperwork--filing, managing household papers, paying bills, etc.

This one is a bit lame, I know, but I also hate refilling liquid soap dispensers. Don't know why; it's just always one of those things I put off.

jmarie
07-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Grocery Shopping

Right now, I hate everything because it is so hard to stay focused.:(

But...grocery shopping is at the top of my list.

AvrilH
07-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I am with Jewel - the post-Costco stuff is something I completely hate. AND I hate going to Costco too - so I'm in a mood before I even get home. (I deal with this by only going to Costco once every two months and completely filling my freezer with meat and fish).

The other thing I hate to do is clean my kitchen. I don't mind at all cleaning it after I have cooked a meal and the family has eaten. HOWEVER - I actually clean the kitchen then, and then about 6 other times during the day! Every member of my family is home more than I am, and NOT one of them wipes up after themselves or puts dishes in the washer. The kitchen was spotless last night at 10, when I went upstairs to put younger DSs to bed. Then I went to bed. I got up this morning (first one up) to a SINK FULL of dishes.........
Argh!

GingerPow
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I wish we could do a barter-type job trade. I detest housework, but I'd work in the garden from sunup to sundown. I like to weed (no, I don't need a saliva test :D ), I like to plant, play in the dirt, water flowers - I would happily spend a week in the garden rather than one day of house cleaning.

suebear37
07-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I wish we could do a barter-type job trade. I detest housework, but I'd work in the garden from sunup to sundown. I like to weed (no, I don't need a saliva test :D ), I like to plant, play in the dirt, water flowers - I would happily spend a week in the garden rather than one day of house cleaning.

And I would gladly swap grocery shopping & laundry if somebody would clean my house!!

hollysmom
07-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Cleaning all the 'science projects' out of the back of the fridge is a no-fun job also.

SSM

Robyn1007
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Cleaning all the 'science projects' out of the back of the fridge is a no-fun job also.

SSM

Yeah, the radishes I pulled out yesterday weren't pretty. At least they were on their way to the compost bin so I didn't feel quite so bad. The is a reason why I only buy the ziploc disposable containers anymore, I hate opening up the really ripe ones and now I don't have to.

dearamy
07-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Inoticed Romandub's choice of "drying my hair". I've never understood why I hate drying my hair in the morning...because it's tedious?...but I sure do. My hair is now shoulder-length, so it doesn't even take very long, but when my hair dryer died, I was kind of glad, and haven't yet replaced it. What an odd thing to hate doing -- anyone else with us on that one?

I am 100% with you. I have never enjoyed drying my hair by any means, but since moving from the Bay Area to Austin, now I truly detest it. With the heat & humidity, there is no way I want hot air blowing on my head in the morning. I simply don't do it anymore & instead have just been throwing my wet hair in a clip or ponytail. Not the most attractive look, but I am 8 1/2 months pregnant & I figure with this belly, no one's really looking at my hair anyway:p

AndreaU
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Anything when it's over 90 degrees!!!

Among those already mentioned: vacuuming (DH always does this, bless him!) and weeding. Oh, can't forget poop scooping two dogs' worth of land mines.

I also despise unpacking! Whether it's from a move, vacation or even after a day of kayaking or hiking. It's the combination of unpacking, cleaning everything AND putting it in its place.

cas
07-10-2007, 05:32 AM
Errands- running to this store and that and appointments. I hate driving around! Maybe because we live in such a small rural town and everything is so inconvenient!

MaryMac
07-10-2007, 07:00 AM
I love this thread......

I HATE clean the shower and also wait way too long...last week I hired a cleaning lady and now I'll gladly show my bathroom to anyone. However, cleaning toilets is ok (as long as they are in my house).

I DON'T sew buttons....the dry cleaner does it for free.

Some posted that they don't like going to the post office...I'm glad to hear it's just not me as I actually thought I had some kind of phobia.

Chefzhat
07-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Along the lines of hair drying - I HATE HATE HATE to shave my legs. Every day. Day in, day out. Shave, shave, shave. Hate it. I should let it grow long enough to wax, but I can never seem to do it.

badunnin
07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm also going to add unpacking after a trip. I hate finding places for souvenirs bought on a whim (where do I store those pretty silk pillow covers?), new places for travel sized this and that I bought for the trip, the travel hair dryer, the brochures, etc. Add to it making sure I don't throw any boarding cards so that I can get credit for my mileage (I didn't have my card with me on this trip and danged if I'm not getting credit from a trip to China!). Too many little bits.

LaraW
07-10-2007, 07:59 AM
I also hate getting ready for bed - brushing teeth, taking out/cleaning my contacts and washing my face. But, if I skip any of these things I can't fall asleep :rolleyes:

I also don't know why I hate doing this stuff, but for some reason I do.

boisewinesnob
07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Can I be first in line for that offer? Ironing was the first thing that came to mind! :D

Gads I hate ironing too. Mainly because whatever piece of clothing only looks neatly pressed for about 10 minutes and then gets wrinkled once you move around wearing it. :rolleyes: At least weeding lasts longer than that. And most other chores/cleaning too.

I am another one who doesn't like to do my hair. If I could live the rest of my life with my hair in a baseball hat or all pulled into a ponytail, I'd be happy. Same reason as ironing: I do all the work of drying/curling/straightening/whatever.......and a few hours later it's all messed up again :mad:

BarbaraL
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I understand people's dislike of styling hair. I read as I blow dry and use the curling iron.

Kay
Wow, you must be much more coordinated than I am; how can you read while you dry your hair???
I hate cleaning clutter and filing. All of us our packrats, so there's just too much stuff in our house. Plus, I'm the only one who even tries to file (DH just makes piles of paper). Don't you love all those pieces of paper that say "Save for your files"? You almost never need them, but then there's the occasional time when you do . . .
Wonder if I could get those Mission Organization people to come to my house . . .

LakeMartinGal
07-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm very lucky -- DH does most of the housework I detest! Vacuuming and washing floors as well as garden work, which I absolutely refuse to do, unless it's below 70* and 50% humidity, which never happens during gardening season in Alabama!;)

I don't mind unloading the dishwasher or cleaning the kitchen, or even doing laundry! I love to grocery shop (but hate to food-save everything!), and I even like ironing, as long as I can sit down and watch tivo'd programs while I do it! Of course, it's wonderful to have a break from this stuff, sometimes... the only thing that's "my" chore that I don't like is cleaning bathrooms -- especially showers! Yuk!:eek: