PDA

View Full Version : July Movie/DVD Thread

EllenL
07-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Not sure if a thread has been started, but considering it's halfway through July and there's a couple of films I highly recommend:

The Page Turner- French film, billed as a psychological thriller, but not really suspenseful, just intriguing. It's about a young woman who goes to work as a nanny---and coincidentally, the mother of the child is a professional musician who ruined the nanny's piano audition years ago when she was a child (inadvertently distracting her by talking to someone). When the child's mom/nanny's employer discovers that the nanny (Melanie) can read music, she enlists her as a page turner for her concerts...giving her the opportunity to get revenge. Quiet, understated, interesting.

After the Wedding- A Danish film about a guy who returns to Denmark from India, for the purpose of meeting a very wealthy man who is a potential donor to the orphanage where the guy works. It would be revealing too much to say how intricately this guy gets involved with the wealthy man and his family---and what deals/compromises he has to make to secure the donation. But it's absolutely fascinating, especially exploring the motives of the rich guy, who is not your typical fat cat...

And we're almost done with The Extras, the British TV series (6 half hour shows) with Ricky Gervais of the Office. It's a riot. There are some very funny guest star appearances with David Bowie, Orlando Bloom, Chris Martin of Cold Play, and Daniel Radcliffe, who plays a very unHarry Potter version of himself!

nanco
07-16-2007, 06:46 AM
I saw the advanced screening of "Hairspray". It was delightful. Made you want to get up and dance & be silly. I loved it!

nanco
07-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I just went to see the Evening with my husband. He and I go to very few movies together. I knew this was a chick flick and he agreed to go. This was the slowest movie ever. We both looked at each other to wait to see if one of us would say "let's leave" Which is exactly what we did in the last movie we saw together which was The Departed. I have seen some great movies with friends in the last year. I think I will let him pick the next one!

Did anyone else see this? Just curious on what others thought!