PDA

View Full Version : Hamburgers with a twist?

sportsrus2000
08-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the list and have been reading posts all morning. What a plethora of information! So, your next challenge - :D
My daughter had a burger at a friend's house that she thought tasted more like a meatloaf, said she ate it without the bun because it was soooo good. Does this remind anyone of something similar? All suggestions welcome!

SugarNSpice
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm guessing there were sauteed onions, mushrooms, and other vegetables added to the meat before it was formed into patties.

I love doing this for turkey burgers.

sportsrus2000
08-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks SugarNSpice!
I've added raw onion and seasonings before, but never cooked onions. Sounds delicious. I'll give it a try:)

Rae
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
A cousin's husband always puts crushed soda crackers in burgers and it does make them very tender. He does add some spices, though I'm guessing mostly garlic and onion. I would describe his burgers as "meatloafy". :)

erin elizabeth
08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
You could try this RR recipe. I made it once and liked the meat part, but not the three-condiment gravy.

Meatloaf Patties and Pan Gravy Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

1 1/3 pounds ground sirloin, 90 percent lean ground beef
1 slice white bread, spread with softened butter, then cut into small cubes
1/8 cup (a splash) milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend, or coarse salt and black pepper combined
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
1 medium onion, finely chopped, reserve 1/4 amount

3-Condiment Pan Gravy:
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 medium onion, finely chopped, reserved from meatloaf mixture
2 tablespoons (a handful) all-purpose flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 rounded teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon steak sauce

Place meat in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center of the meat. Fill the well with the bread cubes and dampen them with a splash of milk. Pour 1 beaten egg over bread and add seasoning or salt and pepper, allspice, tomato paste and onion to the bowl. Combine the meat, bread and grill seasoning or salt and pepper and form mixture into 4 large oval patties 3/4-inch thick. Pan fry meatloaf patties in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat 7 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and tent with foil to keep warm. Reduce heat on pan to medium and add butter and onion. Cook the onion 2 minutes and sprinkle pan with flour. Cook flour 1 minute and whisk in 1 cup beef stock. Bring broth to a bubble. If gravy is too thick, thin with additional stock. Stir in condiments and remove gravy from heat. Slice meatloaf patties and drizzle with gravy.

funniegrrl
08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
An old trick is to mix in dry Lipton's onion soup mix into the meat. That's how a lot of people make meatloaf, so, the flavor is similar (minus the egg, etc.). It might have also had some binder like bread crumbs.

cookieee
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the list and have been reading posts all morning. What a plethora of information! So, your next challenge - :D
My daughter had a burger at a friend's house that she thought tasted more like a meatloaf, said she ate it without the bun because it was soooo good. Does this remind anyone of something similar? All suggestions welcome!

Hi, I don't have a recipe, but I just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BB.

I love your signature line. I am sitting here typing this while watching Oprah. It is the show she did about Heroes. She just had service men united for the first time in 7 months with their family's right on her show. There were a lot of happy tears, mine included.

memartha
08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Corinne,

Welcome to the boards!

My guess is maybe it was a Lipton Onion Soup burger? My husband says his Mom used to make burgers with a recipe off the back of the soup box, that included the soup and Worcestershire sauce and who knows what else.

You could always ask the friend's mother/father, too. He or she would probably be happy to tell you how the burgers were made. I love it when someone requests a recipe!

sportsrus2000
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you for the Welcome from Florida to Massachusettes and everywhere in between! I apprectiate the suggestions, all sound very yummy:)

Smylietron
08-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I knew someone who tried cooking ketchup into the patties, but I don't know if it turned out like you're describing. the Onion Soup Burger sounds more likely to me. Maybe add some bread crumbs as well?

sportsrus2000
08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for noticing my signature. My future son-in-law deploys on Sunday and my son deploys late October:( Thank you for your prayers

NavyBrat913
08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
My mother puts Stove Top Stuffing mixture into her meatloaf--is it possible they also added a bit of stuffing mixture in there? Otherwise the onion gravy and breadcrumb mixture also sounds good.

My first day here, so I am sure I'll be reading a LOT tonight:cool:

Jewel
08-01-2007, 06:19 PM
My last Burger Experiment was actually making Italian Meatloaf Burgers! :) Mixed up your ground beef and ground pork mixture and egg, but added a half can of tomato sauce, carmelized onions, chopped roasted red peppers, basil, Italian breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and shredded mozzarella. Shaped into patties and grilled, then served on Italian Rolls with melted mozzarella. Turned out really good!