PDA

View Full Version : Now that we know about your tattoos. . .

BucknellAlum
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
The topic of tattoos on the other thread made me think about piercings. My DD will be old enough to get her ears pierced this month. She was asking me if I would get another hole in my lobe when she goes.

She has friend with an older sister who has an earring up higher in the cartilage, but she said that hurts a lot. I am probably too pain-averse to try that! Plus I very klutzy with my hairbrush and can foresee nasty problems with that!

So, are asymmetrical ear piercings still in? (DD thinks I should get just one lobe done. I am undecided).

Anyone care to share what they have pierced? ;)

badunnin
08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.... Shall I link it? Anyone else want to link it?

Terri_A
08-01-2007, 07:34 PM
How old do you think is old enough to get your ears pierced?

My ears are double pierced ( I don't often wear 2nd ones ) - a holdover from my teen years. I had an earring in the cartilage way up high on my left ear until I graduated from college and had to remove it to interview! I also had a belly ring until I got pregnant and removed it before it got stretched!

AzAnne
08-01-2007, 07:35 PM

LOL!!

I have 2 holes in both ears that have been there for over 30 years

beacooker
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, if you can find it, link it! I just tried searching for it, but I can't find it.

badunnin
08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes, if you can find it, link it! I just tried searching for it, but I can't find it.

I can't resist a dare. ;)

Link (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=16863)

Robyn1007
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
That's the BEST laugh I've had in a long time! Wow, MK, I never would've guessed. ;) :p :D

Bethany, thanks for linking! :D :D :D

BucknellAlum
08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
How old do you think is old enough to get your ears pierced?

My ears are double pierced ( I don't often wear 2nd ones ) - a holdover from my teen years. I had an earring in the cartilage way up high on my left ear until I graduated from college and had to remove it to interview! I also had a belly ring until I got pregnant and removed it before it got stretched!

Old enough in our family is 10. Old enough when I was growing up was "Over my dead body" which I successfully negotiated down to 13.

I knew this post would prompt some descriptions of . . .umm. . . unusual and alternative piercings, but I thought it would take a few more posts than this to get to those confessions! :)

badunnin
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
That's the BEST laugh I've had in a long time! Wow, MK, I never would've guessed. ;) :p :D

Bethany, thanks for linking! :D :D :D

Another great laugh can be found here (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=25992).

*singing* Memories.... like the corners of my mind.... Misty water-colored memories...

Robyn1007
08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Another great laugh can be found here (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=25992).

*singing* Memories.... like the corners of my mind.... Misty water-colored memories...

Ah, yes, I've seen that one before and it is a classic! :D

cumulus
08-02-2007, 03:45 AM

OMG! Hysterical!

HDgirl
08-02-2007, 05:36 AM
I have one of my ears pierced twice. I did it in my teens and wear a tiny gold hoop in it now. I say, go for the one.

lindrusso
08-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Okay, I missed the piercing one the first time around! I do remember the one about Julie, though - too funny. :D

Chelle D
08-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Oh wow! I would have NEVER thought that our manners expert had that! lol!

avariell
08-02-2007, 07:00 AM
i love reading those old threads. they cracked me up the first time i read them and continue to do so now :)

i have some "issues" with symmetry. in high school (i think) i decided to get a second piercing on my left ear, right above the normal hole. well in college i had always been curious about experimenting with piercing... and i got my right nipple pierced. i felt more symmetrical since i had even numbers of piercings on the "eastern" and "western" hemispheres of my body :D i LOVED this piercing.

a few years ago i had to have a thyroidectomy due to a cancer scare, and my piercing was a little infected (probably due to the stress, etc.) and i decided to take it out. interestingly enough i more or less have let my second ear piercing close up as well. i guess the symmetry is more important than i realized :) anyhoo... i miss that piercing, but i am not sure i am willing to go through the healing process again to have it done :o

Gilgamesh37
08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Ah, I love it when that piercing thread comes back up. Good times. Hood ornament! :p

I have two additional holes in my left ear, both in the lobe. I did both myself with an embroidery needle---the 2nd one is a bit crooked, but not so's you'd notice (just enough to make it a pain to try to put an earring in one-handed). I still rather like mine--I'd always wanted one up in the upper cartilage rim, but like you, I've heard those hurt like a mother, so I never did. I'm still tempted occasionally, though. (now if I could only get slim enough again to get the navel piercing I've always coveted....)

boisewinesnob
08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
bucknellalum,
I don't know if they are "in" any longer, but I had four piercings in my left ear and two in my right. Of all these piercings, 5 were in the earlobes and one was at the top of my left ear in the cartilage. I had my first set done when I was in grade school (so probably early 70s). I know I had the 4th, 5th, 6th holes done in the mid-80s (1986?). Even though I had mine done 20+ years ago, I don't know that they are "out". FWIW, I let the cartilage one grow closed after about 2 years. And YES it hurt----and for a long time! I couldn't hold a phone up to my ear, couldn't sleep on my left side, etc. Probably for over a month. And when I decided to let it close up, it only took maybe 2 weeks.

gertdog
08-02-2007, 12:37 PM
"Old enough" for single piercings in my family was 13 years- my mom had never had hers pierced, as my grandmother thought it was inappropriate. I got my ears pierced when I turned 13- accompanied by my best friend and my mom, both of whom got theirs pierced the same day! :)

I wanted double piercings in my lobes (no cartilage for me, thanks!); my parents said no, but I went ahead and did it myself later in high school. I don't think I've worn earrings in both of the second holes since college, but I do occasionally wear a stud or small hoop in the second hole on my left ear. I thought it had closed up, but it hadn't!

Robyn1007
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh wow! I would have NEVER thought that our manners expert had that! lol!

Ahahaha! I wonder what Martha Stewart would think of that? :p

Gilgamesh37
08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Ahahaha! I wonder what Martha Stewart would think of that? :p

Oh, I dunno--how do we know that underneath that preppy exterior, Martha doesn't have a hood ornament?

Of course, if she does, she probably set up a smithy in her backyard and mined and forged her own barbell..... :D

Angelsfan
08-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Back in the day I had nine in my ears, one in my belly, one in my tongue, one in my lip....

Now that I am a teachers and a "real grown up" everything has been removed...if only tattoos were so easy to get rid of!!!

-Heather