PDA

View Full Version : easy peasy cheesy Zucchini

heavy hedonist
08-04-2007, 09:16 AM
got this off epicurious last night-- we both loved it, it's fast, easy, fresh and doesn't heat up the kitchen!

ZUCCHINI with JALAPENO MONTEREY JACK

1 medium zucchini, scrubbed and sliced 1/4-inch thick

1/2 C coarsely grated jalapeno monterey jack

1 tsp flour

s & p

spread the zucchini in a microwave safe dish. toss the cheese and flour together in a small bowl. scatter evenly over the zucchini. Microwave uncovered, on High, for 3-4 minutes, until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted. Season zucchini with salt and pepper.

**I used cheddar, as that's what i had, but of course pepperjack could only taste better with zucchini. i didn't spread in a single layer, so the bottom was cooked perfectly but had no cheese. You might want to make sure of having only a single, slightly overlapping layer for this reason. the flour disappears but clearly helps keep the moisture down-- there was no pile of juices here, it was just cooked veg topped with a good amount of cheese. salting probably comes afterward for the same reason, so avoid temptation to pre-season. A good, astoundingly simple recipe.

Hammster
08-04-2007, 09:47 AM
got this off epicurious last night-- we both loved it, it's fast, easy, fresh and doesn't heat up the kitchen!

ZUCCHINI with JALAPENO MONTEREY JACK

1 medium zucchini, scrubbed and sliced 1/4-inch thick

1/2 C coarsely grated jalapeno monterey jack

1 tsp flour

s & p

spread the zucchini in a microwave safe dish. toss the cheese and flour together in a small bowl. scatter evenly over the zucchini. Microwave uncovered, on High, for 3-4 minutes, until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted. Season zucchini with salt and pepper.

**I used cheddar, as that's what i had, but of course pepperjack could only taste better with zucchini. i didn't spread in a single layer, so the bottom was cooked perfectly but had no cheese. You might want to make sure of having only a single, slightly overlapping layer for this reason. the flour disappears but clearly helps keep the moisture down-- there was no pile of juices here, it was just cooked veg topped with a good amount of cheese. salting probably comes afterward for the same reason, so avoid temptation to pre-season. A good, astoundingly simple recipe.

Hi Mari,
This looks really good.
So you didn't get a raw flour taste? It's only 1 tsp so maybe it cooks well enough in the 3-4 minutes. I imagine the fat from the cheese with the flour makes a bit of a roux that doesn't really show, but keeps the cheese from looking all separated. Do you think cornstarch would have worked also? Or too risky since cornstarch based sauces tend to break if cooked too long?

heavy hedonist
08-04-2007, 09:54 AM
there's absolutely no taste or feel or hint of flour in the finished dish--- but when you toss it together, you'll see that there's quite a bit of cheese to flour ratio. I wouldn't bother with cornstarch, especially as, as i forgot to note (mea culpa!) it took mine twice as long to cook. but i have a small microwave, and mine was layered a bit.
some people reviewing this recipe noted that they didn't bother with the flour, but since i was afraid of excess moisture, i did. most reviewers said they'd make it again.
it's from an early 90's Gourmet. so it's been around. but looking for a quick, non-oven zucchini dish, i found it and jumped on it. i think it deserves another go-round!