PDA

View Full Version : Hobo themed dinner ideas?

BeachBum
08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm doing a train themed party for my DS's 2nd birthday. I'd like to follow the theme with a "hobo" dinner.
All I can think of is the foil packets (ground beef, with onion slices, carrots and sliced potatoes) on the grill--and maybe grilled corn?
While I realize hobo isn't upscale fare--I do want something really tasty and something I wont feel embarrassed serving to my guests.

Any other ideas?

knunes
08-17-2007, 03:58 PM
How about toasting marshmallows or S'mores on the grill after the packets are cooked, for dessert?

cvgirl81
08-17-2007, 04:17 PM
How about baked beans served in tin cups?:)

knunes
08-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I google-searched hobo party and found a holiday page that talked about a Halloween hobo party. Of course, I don't imagine you want to serve cold baked beans and hot dogs on a stick, but maybe the hobo bread that they list that you cook in a coffee can?
Here's the web address:
http://www.floras-hideout.com/food/Comp2.pdf

Tizzylish
08-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Reynolds has a few recipes for foil packet cooking:

http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/en/recipes/recipe_search.asp?Category=17&Step=Category&CategoryText=On+The+Grill

Hammster
08-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I think it's called Hobo toast or Hobo eggs.
Where you cut a round hole into a piece of bread, fry it on one side in some kind of pan and crack an egg into the hole, cook the egg and then flip the whole thing over to cook the other side.

tamawrite
08-17-2007, 04:40 PM
I think it's called Hobo toast or Hobo eggs.
Where you cut a round hole into a piece of bread, fry it on one side in some kind of pan and crack an egg into the hole, cook the egg and then flip the whole thing over to cook the other side.

LOL DH calls these "One-Eyed Egyptians." :rolleyes:

LaraW
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
All I can think of is the foil packets (ground beef, with onion slices, carrots and sliced potatoes) on the grill--and maybe grilled corn?

A friend of mine does this but she uses pork chops in the packet. Its really good and may be a little more "upscale" than ground beef.

BeachBum
08-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I had forgotten about smores--having pork chops in the packet is a good idea. I'll have to give it a test run soon. I like the tin cup idea for baked beans. But where to get tin cups? restuarant supply?
Thanks for those links, I'm off to check them out now.

margeslp
08-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I had forgotten about smores--having pork chops in the packet is a good idea. I'll have to give it a test run soon. I like the tin cup idea for baked beans. But where to get tin cups? restuarant supply?
Thanks for those links, I'm off to check them out now.

I miss the days of theme parties for the little ones.

I would think ground meat would be better for 2 yr. olds than pork chops. We had a beef farm and our kids wouldn't eat chops or steaks till they had their molars. Maybe you could put a special sauce on it to glam it up.

I love the idea of beans in a tin cup. I can't picture where to find tin cups except at yard sale. Maybe one of those theme birthday party sites can supply them. I would assume they would be a mock-up of the real thing.

badunnin
08-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Hobo pies of course! The kids can choose their fillings.

As far as tin cups, try sporting goods stores in the camping area, or an Army/Navy surplus.

Hammster
08-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Hobo pies of course! The kids can choose their fillings.

As far as tin cups, try sporting goods stores in the camping area, or an Army/Navy surplus.

One can also find hobo pie makers at camping type stores as well. Hobo pies sure are fun to make.

fstrpstr
08-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I've maded foil packets with chicken and fish. It was delicious.

foodfly
08-18-2007, 11:30 AM
The metal cups are called enamelware. I purchased red enamelware cups at World Market; but I also see enamelware cups, coffee pots and the like currently being sold on Amazon....maybe try Target.

Bright red or blue colors are common.

misskitty100
08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
What a great party idea....the kids (and parents will love it!!)

tennisashoe
08-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Kids love beans and weenies. Maybe the hotdogs could go in the tin cups too. Have a great time! Love the idea.

badunnin
08-18-2007, 07:26 PM
If you are going to be serving items in tin cups, can you do party favours of sticks with the bandana sacks at the ends, with the tin cups contained in them or tied on?