PDA

View Full Version : What could I sub for cumin here?

Cookin4Love
08-19-2007, 09:53 AM
The Bulgur Salad with Chickpeas, Roasted Peppers, and Spiced Cumin Dressing from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen sounds interesting. Basically (no surprises here) it consists of bulgur, chickpeas, jarred roasted peppers, and parsley, and it is served over Bibb lettuce with warmed pita bread. The dressing consists of lemon juice, honey, cumin, and cayenne pepper. The problem is, I'm just not a fan of cumin as a dominant taste. In this case, it calls for 1 teaspoon, which is quite a bit in my book. What would you sub? Could I do 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika? I'm short on ideas, but I like everything else in the salad.

tennisashoe
08-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Sounds yummy. How about a mild curry?

LLR
08-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Here is what Cook's Thersaurus says:

cumin = comino = cummin = jeera Pronunciation: KUH-min or KYOO-min or KOO-min Equivalents: 1 oz. = 4 tablespoons ground = 4 1/2 tablespoons whole seed. Notes: Cumin is a key ingredient in Southwestern chili recipes, but it's also widely used in Latin America, North Africa, and India. Freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds are far superior to packaged ground cumin. Substitutes: caraway seeds (use half as much) OR black cumin seeds (smaller and sweeter) OR caraway seeds + anise seeds OR chili powder

Hope that helps.

jadenegro
08-19-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure there is anything I would just substitute for cumin straight up -- you might just decrease the cumin to 1/4 teaspoon or so (if you want to use it at all) and add 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander and 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika.

badunnin
08-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Here is what Cook's Thersaurus says:

cumin = comino = cummin = jeera Pronunciation: KUH-min or KYOO-min or KOO-min Equivalents: 1 oz. = 4 tablespoons ground = 4 1/2 tablespoons whole seed. Notes: Cumin is a key ingredient in Southwestern chili recipes, but it's also widely used in Latin America, North Africa, and India. Freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds are far superior to packaged ground cumin. Substitutes: caraway seeds (use half as much) OR black cumin seeds (smaller and sweeter) OR caraway seeds + anise seeds OR chili powder

Hope that helps.

I think the problem with this is that she isn't looking for a sub for cumin that will *taste* like cumin, she's looking for an alternate flavour that would work well in that salad.

I do think that either the smoked paprika or the curry would be good options, or maybe just mixed italian/greek herbs to compliment the peppers and feta.

Hammster
08-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I think I'd sub ground coriander for the cumin.

Cookin4Love
08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the good ideas. Once I start putting it together, I'll play around and see what ends up sounding good.

heavy hedonist
08-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure there is anything I would just substitute for cumin straight up -- you might just decrease the cumin to 1/4 teaspoon or so (if you want to use it at all) and add 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander and 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika.

i'd use a 1/2 tsp of coriander, ground, or some fresh cilantro. It will work justr as well here.

oh, see, hammster, great minds think alike

Hammster
08-19-2007, 10:51 AM
i'd use a 1/2 tsp of coriander, ground, or some fresh cilantro. It will work justr as well here.

oh, see, hammster, great minds think alike

Absolutely!! :D

sneezles
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I think you'd miss the smokiness of cumin (hope that's not the part you dislike) I'd use smoked paprika.

Hammster
08-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I think you'd miss the smokiness of cumin (hope that's not the part you dislike) I'd use smoked paprika.

I'd think she could toast the coriander and that might help with a nice toasty flavor. (Not exactly smoky, unless she lets it go too long in the pan ;) )

Or perhaps a combo of coriander and paprika.

PamelaJayne
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I think ground coriander will be a great alternative for the cumin in the dish you're preparing. It will work really well with the chick peas and roasted peppers ;)

margeslp
08-19-2007, 01:08 PM
The Bulgur Salad with Chickpeas, Roasted Peppers, and Spiced Cumin Dressing from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen sounds interesting. Basically (no surprises here) it consists of bulgur, chickpeas, jarred roasted peppers, and parsley, and it is served over Bibb lettuce with warmed pita bread. The dressing consists of lemon juice, honey, cumin, and cayenne pepper. The problem is, I'm just not a fan of cumin as a dominant taste. In this case, it calls for 1 teaspoon, which is quite a bit in my book. What would you sub? Could I do 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika? I'm short on ideas, but I like everything else in the salad.

You have excellent suggestions. I found that although I LUV cumin, I am really turned off by cumin seeds which I used when I was out of the powder. In what form have you it? The first thought I had was curry also as one of the other posters. But if you could season with a tad of cumin and smoked paprika, that would do well. Would you use the cayenne with the paprika? I love a bite of red pepper, but can't regulate well with powder, so I have been doing crushed red pepper by the pinches. Your recipe sounds great

sneezles
08-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I am really turned off by cumin seeds which I used when I was out of the powder.

Don't you grind the seeds to replace the powder? I use only seeds that I toast and then grind. Infinitely better tasting than already ground cumin.

margeslp
08-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Don't you grind the seeds to replace the powder? I use only seeds that I toast and then grind. Infinitely better tasting than already ground cumin.

No, but I will in future. I normally always have ground cumin. Happened to run out and thought I would get same effect.

sneezles
08-19-2007, 01:58 PM
thought I would get same effect.

It's all hidden inside that shell!

Cookin4Love
08-19-2007, 04:28 PM
It's the astringency, or maybe it's just the cumin-ness, I don't like. ;) I'm fine with the smoky flavor, that's why I thought of smoked paprika. I haven't made it yet. I just got back from 2 hours of hell is Whole Foods. The whole freakin' world is there and I couldn't get around. I also couldn't find tahini in the same area I got it last time, and I got tired of looking. I need to scout out some other good stores for bulk and organic foods. There is another WF opening closer to me, but the crowd about did me in today!