PDA

View Full Version : Which cut of meat for roast beef?

acginkc
08-20-2007, 06:50 AM
I would like to make a roast beef that I can also slice for sandwiches and I'm not sure which cut of beef I should get. I have made pot roast many times and know that the cuts I usually use for that probably won't work here. TIA.

fstrpstr
08-20-2007, 07:03 AM
A rump roast would work nicely for sandwiches.

sneezles
08-20-2007, 07:22 AM
For sandwiches I like to use Eye of the Round and use the 500 method to roast. You have to be able to give up your oven for 2 1/2 hours and absolutely not peek inside during that time but it makes a wonderful roast and the sandwiches are fantastic!

500 Eye-of-Round Roast
The easiest roast you'll ever cook.

Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 2-1/2 - 3 hours
Servings: Serves 4-6

1 eye of round roast (2-3 pounds)

Preheat oven to 500F.
Season roast as desired; place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. You can season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion or any steak seasoning you desire.
Place roast in the preheated oven and lower temperature to 475F. Roast at 475F for 6-7 minutes, for medium, per pound.
Turn oven off and let roast sit in oven 2-1/2 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR DURING THIS 2-1/2 HOUR TIME PERIOD.
Remove roast and slice thinly.

margeslp
08-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Sneezles, thanks for your recipe for eye of round. I cut one up into three pieces and did one on the grill that was not tender. WIll try remaining pieces your way

avariell
08-20-2007, 07:41 AM
For sandwiches I like to use Eye of the Round and use the 500 method to roast. You have to be able to give up your oven for 2 1/2 hours and absolutely not peek inside during that time but it makes a wonderful roast and the sandwiches are fantastic!

500 Eye-of-Round Roast
The easiest roast you'll ever cook.

Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 2-1/2 - 3 hours
Servings: Serves 4-6

1 eye of round roast (2-3 pounds)

Preheat oven to 500F.
Season roast as desired; place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. You can season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion or any steak seasoning you desire.
Place roast in the preheated oven and lower temperature to 475F. Roast at 475F for 6-7 minutes, for medium, per pound.
Turn oven off and let roast sit in oven 2-1/2 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR DURING THIS 2-1/2 HOUR TIME PERIOD.
Remove roast and slice thinly.

this is the coolest sounding recipe. someday when i have enough people around to eat that much meat, i am going to try it! thanks for posting :)

sneezles
08-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Sneezles, thanks for your recipe for eye of round. I cut one up into three pieces and did one on the grill that was not tender. WIll try remaining pieces your way

Because it's so lean it can be the hardest cut of beef to cook. My MIL used to make it all the time and it was difficult to eat. I have an electric slicer that I use for the sandwiches, slicing after the meat is cold, and I get the thinnest slices just like at the deli counter. We just had this last week.

avariell
08-20-2007, 08:09 AM
sneezles - could you cut the time down to 2 hours for rarer meat?

springsgourmet9
08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
You will LOVE LOVE LOVE Sneezles cooking method! It is the best way to slow cook meat and it comes out juicy and medium rare every time! It's foolproof. The whole house smells so good while its cooking. I've tried top round and it works great too! So easy... Can't thank you enough Sneezles!

sneezles
08-20-2007, 08:48 AM
sneezles - could you cut the time down to 2 hours for rarer meat?

You would cut down the time per pound rather than the resting time. So for rare I'd do 5 minutes per pound.

acginkc
08-23-2007, 02:54 PM
As luck would have it my local grocery store had and eye of round roast SALE this week. So I am going to make Sneezle's recipe tonight. One problem...I don't have a roasting pan. Would I be okay to use either a broiler pan or a rimmed baking sheet with a wire rack? Thanks for any advise.

sneezles
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
As luck would have it my local grocery store had and eye of round roast SALE this week. So I am going to make Sneezle's recipe tonight. One problem...I don't have a roasting pan. Would I be okay to use either a broiler pan or a rimmed baking sheet with a wire rack? Thanks for any advise.

I'd use the broiler pan since it's designed for high heat.

Debralynn
08-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Does the eye round come out fork tender?? Thanks, debralynn

Lizpacini
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
acginkc, if you have a large iron skillet--that works well for small roasts like an eye of round.

If you get your meat at a good butcher shop--ask for a Diamond Jim roast. You'll never want another cut of beef for sandwiches!:)

sneezles
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Does the eye round come out fork tender?? Thanks, debralynn

As close as Eye of Round can be. If you cook it to medium then no it won't be fork tender but medium rare to rare is definitely fork tender.

acginkc
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you Sneezles. Just finished dinner and we both loved it. We decided to make french dips (with a little help from RR for the au jus (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23051,00.html?rsrc=search)) and it was wonderful. I had a 3.25# roast and did the 6 minutes/pound. It was great (though as a true little offspring of cattle farmers I could have had it a little less done and been perfectly happy with that also). I am looking forward to more sandwiches this week. Thank you again for the recipe.

sneezles
08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Thank you Sneezles. Just finished dinner and we both loved it. We decided to make french dips (with a little help from RR for the au jus (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23051,00.html?rsrc=search)) and it was wonderful. I had a 3.25# roast and did the 6 minutes/pound. It was great (though as a true little offspring of cattle farmers I could have had it a little less done and been perfectly happy with that also). I am looking forward to more sandwiches this week. Thank you again for the recipe.

Whew! :p I actually do mine at 5 minutes per pound bein' the cattle ranchers we are! But I have to say that every time I recommend this recipe I hold my breath...ya just never know! So very glad it worked well for you!

Debralynn
08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
thanks, I will be making this soon. :) Debralynn