PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for indoor herb garden?

PurplePotato
08-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I hope some of you garden masters can help me. I know nothing about growing things. NOTHING. However, my husband really wants an indoor herb garden. I want to set one up for his birthday but have no clue what lighting to buy. I've read a bunch on the web and I think I'm more confused now than when I started.:confused:

Unfortunately it needs to go in the basement. I'm not sure how large an area yet. I also don't want to go overboard and get way more than we need for a few simple herbs.

Any suggestions? It sounds like maybe simple flourescent with a timer?

I did see this and wondered if it would be a good option:
http://homeharvest.com/fluorescenttabletopplantcarts.htm

zoey55
08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
My DSIL bought me an "Aero Garden" for my b-day this year. You can get various kits (herbs, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.). I think it may be kind of pricey (over $100?), but it does contain everything you need....container, lights, seeds, nutrients. I'm trying it out right now but actually it is an experiment that is bombing! It was larger than I thought and I really didn't want it on my kitchen counter. So instead it is in the garage out on the workbench. With our 100+ temps, I think it is too hot for it out there. The only thing that seems to want to grow is the basil. (cilantro, mint, chives aren't). I may have to try it again in a spare bedroom or something.

tamawrite
08-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, most herbs are such heat and sun lovers that they don't tend to do well indoors.

Anytime you're using "grow-lights" or florescents to replace sunlight, it's important to remember that the lights must be located only a few inches from the tops of the plants.

I'd be interested in what options you find, as I always miss my fresh herbs terribly come winter. :(

bobmark226
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
My DSIL bought me an "Aero Garden" for my b-day this year. You can get various kits (herbs, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.). I think it may be kind of pricey (over $100?)

More like $150! :eek:

Bob

EllenL
08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
All I've ever heard about is the Aero Garden, but I just want to say that I think it's so cool that your husband would want one! That's one "toy" that I think a grown-up boy (who likes good eating) should have!

PurplePotato
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Well the Aero garden I found online was $170.

I ended up buying two utility hanging flourescent light fixtures from Menards for $30 each.

I then bought the plant lights called Hydrofarm AgroSunŽ Full Spectrum Fluorescent Tubes at this site: http://homeharvest.com/fluorescenttubes.htm

So, about $140 total but I can put a lot more plants under them than just the small Aero garden and the lights seem to be a better quality.