PDA

View Full Version : Keeping zucchini or yellow squash from tasting bitter...?

testkitchen45
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I searched but didn't find answers to this one: my DH says that zucchini & yellow squash are fairly bitter for his taste, & sugg'd that I saute w/sugar instead of butter, salt, & pepper. Has anyone done this? His dad always added sugar to veggies (DH isn't sure how much); my mom never did, so I'm not sure how much sugar to add per zucchini or yellow squash to tame the bitterness (which doesn't bother me much). Any help would be appreciated; thanks! :)

funniegrrl
08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Some summer squash comes out bitter to me, some can actually be pretty sweet. Try buying younger/smaller squash, to start. If it tastes a little bitter and I'm not in the mood for that, I might sprinkle a TINY bit of sugar in. Hard to say how much, but try just a pinch and go from there. Another thing that helps sometimes is peeling or scraping the squash.

testkitchen45
08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Some summer squash comes out bitter to me, some can actually be pretty sweet. Try buying younger/smaller squash, to start. If it tastes a little bitter and I'm not in the mood for that, I might sprinkle a TINY bit of sugar in. Hard to say how much, but try just a pinch and go from there. Another thing that helps sometimes is peeling or scraping the squash.

Thanks; I'll try a pinch/dash of sugar. This is what my DH said his dad did; however, I'm never too secure in my cooking abilities when I don't have an amount guideline, so I didn't know if there's a basic ratio to follow (like 1/8 tsp per squash or something) :o . The squash we bought was young & tender; we bought it at a farmer's market while driving back from our vacation, so it had just been picked that morning (you should have tasted the cantaloupe--yummmm!). I've learned that DH doesn't like Parmesan too much, such as Ina G's Zucchini Parmesan, b/c Parmesan makes the squash even more bitter, so I'll try a little sugar (and pepper?) and butter for a simple saute. Appreciate the help! :)

heavy hedonist
08-28-2007, 08:39 AM
here's a trick i learned from LAUREL'S KITCHEN, that really works-- slice a small slice off of the stem end of zucchini, hold it against place it was sliced and rub togther till you see a milky white substance appear between them-- the bitterness goes away! then rinse and use as usual.

testkitchen45
08-28-2007, 08:42 AM
here's a trick i learned from LAUREL'S KITCHEN, that really works-- slice a small slice off of the stem end of zucchini, hold it against place it was sliced and rub togther till you see a milky white substance appear between them-- the bitterness goes away! then rinse and use as usual.

So you'd have to rub all your slices together & then rinse them? Does it work on yellow summer squash too? Thanks!

heavy hedonist
08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
So you'd have to rub all your slices together & then rinse them? Does it work on yellow summer squash too? Thanks!

no, just the top which you've sliced off-- the bitterness is concentrated at the end of the vegetable, so this method kind of leaches it out of the whole zucchini. i can't see why it wouldn't work on the yllow stuff. but it won't, unfortunately, :( work on already cut stuff. But next time you are using zucchini...

hon211
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
After slicing, I usually salt the zucchini and let it sit in a colander for about 15 minutes. Then I blot dry with paper towels. This takes out a lot of the excess moisture and probably some of the bitterness. It works for cabbage too.

Smylietron
08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah, apparently salting the squash for a while disgorges it and takes out the bitterness.

testkitchen45
08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks, all! :) I tried the rubbing-the-sliced-end thing, & it didn't seem to do anything. So I presalted the squash w/kosher salt, dried it later, & cooked it with butter, sugar, & pepper. It was much better! I don't know that presalting it drew out as much bitterness as the sugar would mitigate; maybe I could omit that step & just add the sugar (I used about 1/4 tsp per squash, which seemed a little much, but DH liked it). I have 1/ea remaining of zucchini & yellow; will try it soon w/o presalting but w/sugar, & see how it goes--does 1/4 tsp/squash seem like a lot? I love z & y and really want not to be the only one eating it; DH is much happier w/ some sugar on the squash! :p

susan_foster
08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Don't know if this would work for you, but this is a squash saute that I've made twice and loved. I feel like it has different flavors, so it might disguise the bitterness a bit better.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Squash and Mushroom Saute

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large yellow squash
2 medium zucchini
1 teaspoon olive oil
6 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced cilantro

Quarter squash and zucchini lengthwise, and cut into slices; set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over high heat. Add mushrooms; saute 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from pan, and keep warm.

Add squash and zucchini to pan; saute 13 minutes or until tender and squash is browned in spots. Add mushrooms to squash mixture; cook 1 minute. Add sesame oil, soy sauce, and cilantro. Toss gently.

Source:
"Weight Watcher's Annual Recipes for Success 2003"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 58 Calories; 3g Fat (36.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 455mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

testkitchen45
08-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks! I'll copy that one into MasterCook; it sounds good. :)

And if anyone has thoughts on my earlier post (w/?'s about sugar), I'd love to hear them! :o