PDA

View Full Version : 4 years and counting!

lindrusso
09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
As of a week or so ago, it's been 4 years cancer free for DH. This summer he had a CAT scan, bloodwork and a colonoscopy and everything came back clear.

They did remove a polyp - it was benign, but it was the type that does sometimes turn into cancer (and in his case, I'd have to assume it probably would), so I think that THIS time, he felt the whole scope ordeal was well worth it. ;) His doctor doesn't think he needs another one for 5 years, but I don't think DH is comfortable with that. This polyp developed since his last scope two years ago, so 3 years may be a better option for him.

Anyway, just wanted to celebrate. Next year is the all-important 5 year mark. Not sure what testing they'll do next year though......

wallycat
09-07-2007, 04:45 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent and good for him for going !!! I can't get my DH to go :( :(
I just turned 50 and am having mine this Monday.
Hate the prep but want to make sure I am doing all I can.

Go celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terri_A
09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Congratulations!

And for the record, I agree with your DH that he shouldn't wait 5 years....2 or 3 sounds reasonable to me!

lindrusso
09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I was thinking about you when I posted, Ana. I know that good news like that was always a nice thing to read when we were feeling the brunt of everything.

Hope you are posting lots of good news for yourself in the years to come. :)

Good luck with your colonoscopy. Not fun, but I always remember what I read - not all polyps turn into cancer, but all colon cancer comes from polyps. Removing a polyp beats chemo, radiation and surgery any day!

Kathy B
09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
That's great news, Alysha! Definitely worth celebrating! Here's to many more healthy reports from the doctor! :)

Robyn1007
09-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Alysha, thank you for sharing this happy and important anniversary. Hugs to all of you!

Deechef
09-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Very exciting news!!! Keep on top of things as you feel fit to do it. More is better IMO

Thanks for sharing!

erinl
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Great news! Wow, I can't believe it has been that long since we flooded you with cards.

lisas3575
09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Great news! Wow, I can't believe it has been that long since we flooded you with cards.

That was my thought exactly! This is one instance that I'm glad the time has flown by! Congratulations, Alysha and DH. :)

sneezles
09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Woo Hoo! That's great news for both you and Chuck!

Colonoscopies are a literal PITA! My dr convinced me to have one and then I found out he's never had one!:eek: So I shamed him into it!:p I mean really he was 55 at the time and had never had one?:rolleyes: I told him his sales pitch would be more convincing had he experienced the joys of the day before!:cool:

TKay
09-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Happy anniversary to both of you! Wahoo! That's fantastic news. Enjoy yourselves as you celebrate Yeah!

AzAnne
09-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Excellant News! Great to hear.
Hoping for continued clean bill of health

Jazzmatazz49
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Congratulations on reaching the milestone.
Actually, the drugs they give you for a colonoscopy are almost enough fun to make drinking the Golightly worth it. Almost.

Laura
09-07-2007, 06:32 PM
What a celebration!!!!

greysangel
09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Happy anniversary Alysha!!! It's hard to believe that that much time has passed, but it's wonderful and definitely a reason to celebrate!

mrswaz
09-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Hooray Alysha! That's awesome news. I hope you're all doing something fun to celebrate. I wish you many more years of the same great news.

RecipeGirl
09-07-2007, 07:45 PM
That is exciting news. Lots of cancer in my family too. We all wait for the 5 year mark... each time it happens. Relief! Keep on those docs and get as many tests as you want!! Blessings and congrats to you and your DH.

KathrynY
09-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Congratulations, Alysha and Chuck! Remembering all that you've been through, and sending my very best wishes for continued good health. Yay - please do celebrate the occasion! :)

katygirl
09-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Very very cool! :)

LaraW
09-07-2007, 08:02 PM

I thought about that too. That is great news :)

Gumbeaux
09-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I am happy for your DH, you, and Bailey too!

syzygy
09-07-2007, 09:48 PM

That was my first thought as well when I started to read your post!

Many many good wishes to you and Chuck.
You both deserve a celebratory anniversary!!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/HKamper/Gifs/smileyparty.gif http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/HKamper/Gifs/smiley.gif http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/HKamper/Gifs/smileyjumping.gif

lindrusso
09-08-2007, 08:00 AM
You know, we really haven't celebrated. His parents were here right after we got the results of the biopsy - they were pretty confident it was begnin, but you can't relax until you know for sure! Anyway, we didn't really get to celebrate with them here.

I was thinking of throwing him a 5-year party next year.................

Thanks for joining in our celebration everyone. :)

SandyM
09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow. WOW! This is HUGE, Alysha. I'm another one that can't believe so much time has passed. Congratulations, and hugs all around! :)

Chefzhat
09-08-2007, 08:12 AM
That is wonderful news Alysha! I'm thrilled for you both!

In December my SIL will be 2 years cancer free, and I look forward to celebrating with her.

Ana (((((hugs))))) to you! Take positive vibes from this thread! We're all behind you here!

Debie

LakeMartinGal
09-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Alysha -- I am thrilled for this news! This is such a relief!:cool:

I passed my 5-year cancer-free anniversary in February, so I know of what I speak!:D

Ana -- looking forward to seeing your anniversaries posted, too, as well as LittleLion's (Paula)! And anyone else who cares to share these important anniversaries!:D

TieKitty
09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Congratulations to you and your DH! I know what a milestone this is.
My DM had breast cancer and was told she was on the "short list". She's here today after 30 years of being cancer-free.

I think a 5-year party is definitely in order!:D

Lauren
09-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Great news Alysha! I'm happy for you, Chuck and the family. :D

PurplePotato
09-08-2007, 09:51 AM
That is wonderful news. Congrats to you both!

SueK
09-08-2007, 09:57 AM
That's great news Alysha! I'm so happy for you, Chuck and the boys! I agree with the others that you need to do something to celebrate!

suebear37
09-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Alysha, that's great news! You all must be so relieved!

Kristal, I think you need to post a cake picture here... :)

kcmo727
09-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Congratulations to all of you!

Gracie
09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Congratulations to Chuck! I can't believe so much time has passed as well. I hope your family has a very happy anniversary!

Loren

oceanjasper
09-09-2007, 08:23 PM
That is really wonderful news. Thanks for sharing!

wallycat
09-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I had my colonoscopy Monday.
Doc said I have the colon of a 20-year old :p :p :D
Too bad they can't turn me inside out :eek:

lindrusso
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I had my colonoscopy Monday.
Doc said I have the colon of a 20-year old :p :p :D
Too bad they can't turn me inside out :eek:

Glad to hear it! One less thing to worry about............

One other thing that came out of DH's testing is that the doctor said all of his nutrition profiles (or whatever you would call it) came out excellent. DH said he gave me all the credit. :D ;) But it was good to hear that maybe our diet is pretty good after all. :)

donnamp14
09-14-2007, 07:40 AM
What a happy note to begin the weekend with! Congratulations! Slainte! (Irish toast: Health!)

-Donna

Kay Henderson
09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I am so happy for the two of you.

Sometimes people worry about the long-term consequences of such a severe assault on the body (both the illness and the treatment). Sooooo -- here is a success story for you -- my MIL had colon cancer almost 40 years ago. Recovery was not easy, but recover she did. Now a soon-to-be 84 year old
(and one with rheumatoid arthritis), she and FIL (almost 86) maintain two homes, an active social life and travel as well. (Let's just say that after attending a family wedding in San Diego, they took off two days later to attend the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland Oregon, where they are presently. Got there under their own steam too!) She remains as sharp as she was before the illness (which is pretty darn sharp).

May the two of you also have long and healthy lives!

Kay

lindrusso
09-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks, Kay. It's always nice to hear the "success" stories. :)