PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a "Dessert Challenge" exercise!

Whisker
09-18-2007, 08:16 AM
I am cooking a staff appreciation dinner for my church and am also planning an activity I am calling "The Dessert Challenge" as part of their entertainment.
After dinner, the guests will be divided into teams of 4-5 people and be placed around a table. On the table there will be an assortment of items that the team can use to create a dessert. There will be a time limit as well as other rules such as: no peeking at any other team's creations, the team must trade at least one item with another team, and only the microwave can be used. There will also be judging criteria: most creative, best presentation, etc...

So far, the hodgepodge of dessert items that I've thought of for the teams to use are: graham crackers, pound cake, brownies, vanilla wafers, pudding, bananas, pineapple, strawberries, mini marshmallows, nuts , chocolate chips, M&M's, carmels and mini phyllo cups. There will be one community table that they can all use which will include: maraschino cherries, canned whipped cream, chocolate and carmel syrup.

I feel like I need more of a variety of items that won't lend itself to some sort of cake/pudding combination. I'm just stuck on these items and am having a hard time "thinking outside the box"! Can anyone give me more suggestions as to what other hodgepodge of dessert making ingredients I should include on the tables?

Hammster
09-18-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't see Rice Krispies on the list. (Thinking Rice Krispy Treats)
Also, what about ice cream? Lots of your ingredients you have listed would go great with ice cream. Sundaes, banana split, etc.
Butter.

cumulus
09-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Oreos or another pre-made cookie would be nice.

Another thought would be (gasp!) the pre-made cheesecake filling that's out there now. Along with the graham crackers or pound cake or even the filo cups, a lot could be done--and you'd have more variety than just a bunch of sundaes or trifles.

Smylietron
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Seconded on the pre-made cookie suggestion, especially if there's ice cream; a scoop of vanilla between a couple of really good chocolate chip cookies then rolled in sprinkles, marshmallows, and assorted sauces is a bite of heaven itself!