PDA

View Full Version : do animals eat pumpkins???

mzp
10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I just bought a beautiful pumpkin yesterday. I cleaned it, polished it, and put it on my front doorstep, like I do every year. However, this morning I noticed a large chunk missing from it. It looks like an animal had a snack, but I've never ever ever had a problem like this before! I looked around and neighbors have pumpkins that look just fine. Do animals gnaw at pumpkins? Or was it just an act of vandalism? I would like to get another one, but I'm afraid it would just happen again. Any advice???

Thanks!

Grace
10-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Squirrels eat them. Around here at least.....

PurplePotato
10-09-2007, 04:22 PM
My squirrels love our pumpkins. I think they believe we put them out for a fall treat just for them. Sure enough, every year they make nice little holes.

BlueMoose
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
My mom and dad bring our pumpkins out to the lake every year after Halloween. They put them out in the woods and all of the critters eat them...It's fun! They have a game camera and they get pictures of all the activity.

mzp
10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Although I don't live in a very "woodsy" area, I do see lots of squirrels around. But these aren't just little holes, it was a huge chunk, probably about 4-6 inches in diameter). Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?

Hammster
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Have you looked inside the pumpkin? Are all the pieces from the hole inside it? Or are they totally gone?
If they are inside it, it's likely something hit it and caused the damage. (Letter carrier, newspaper delivery, bored kid, errant baseball,...?)

If there isn't any debris, sounds like something was hungry.

Grace
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Squirrels will eat almost the whole pumpkin over time. They don't take little teensy tiny chunks. So it is most likely the squirrels. That is why we don't put pumpkins out at all anymore.

Jazzmatazz49
10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Squirrels are the scourge of humanity. They will eat everything that isn't another squirrel. I am really tired of them, personally.:mad:

Beth
10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
I was going to suggest a racoon or someting. We have tons of fat, happy squirrels around here and U don't think I've ever known one to get a pumpkin. Maybe it's becaue there are so many bird feeders, fat acorns, tomatoes, pears and other goodies that don't require knawing through a hard rind. Sounds like our squirrels may be more spoiled than yours. ;)

KimK
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I've often had this problem, but have successfully stopped it usinig a mixture of ammonia and water - spray it once a day on your pumpkins and it'll keep the squirrels and raccoons from eating them. You can also spray this on trash bags to keep animals from getting into them.

misskitty100
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Racoons eat pumpkins too!!! Sometimes while still growing in the garden....:mad:

Debralynn
10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Our neighbor has cows and he feeds his cows pumpkins every fall. :)

MKSquared
10-09-2007, 09:46 PM
The animals at the Columbus Zoo get pumpkins every year for Halloween. :D Thing is, I don't think it's an elephant that's eating your pumpkin.

muriel3002
10-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Deer eat pumpkins too...

Autumn
10-10-2007, 08:13 AM
My dog, a retriever mix, enjoys trashing my "fall display" of pumpkins and gourds daily. She has devoured a couple of Jack-be-littles and smaller gourds, and is working on gnawing down the big pumpkins and gourds. Each morning she drags them all off the hay bale and distributes them around the lawn, so she can have a snack wherever she decides to flop herself down. Taking a cue from my real parenting struggles, I have decided to "pick my battles," and am basically ignoring this. She is such a good pup; inside the house she doesn't chew on anything that is not "hers." Outside, she has free reign. So...every evening I reassemble the display, and laugh as she wrestles the 20-lb pumpkins.

Also...I probably had a hand in creating this pumpkin-eater. I give her a spoonful or two of the canned stuff whenever she seems a little "backed up." Works every time!

testkitchen45
10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I imagine it's animals, not vandalism. The ammonia-water spray sounds like a great idea.

When we were in Colorado this summer, a bear broke into someone's nice mountain home. He trashed her kitchen and got into the refrigerator, and used his claws to carve out and eat a whole watermelon. :eek:

Beth
10-10-2007, 08:23 AM
The animals at the Columbus Zoo get pumpkins every year for Halloween. :D Thing is, I don't think it's an elephant that's eating your pumpkin.

I thought about that too. I've seen pictures of the Elephants at the Houston zoo with pumpkins.

I have a lab or lab mix -- I can see her going after a pumpkin if it should happen to roll. If it's a ball, she'll et it. :D

sparrowgrass
10-10-2007, 09:45 AM
I have a 12 pound rat terrier--he has been dragging my pumpkins off the porch. Fortunately, he can't do much damage, except to the "handles."

mbrogier
10-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I've seen squirrels eat pumpkins. I set out two over ripe pumpkins on our back deck late last fall for the squirrels, and they enjoyed them all winter.

mommamoxie
10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
The deer smashed the pumpkins in my garden and ate most of it, they haven't tried it on the front porch yet though! :)

southjerseymom
10-11-2007, 04:25 AM
The deer smashed the pumpkins in my garden and ate most of it, they haven't tried it on the front porch yet though! :)

They've been brazen enough to go up our porch steps to get ours! We now
spray them with a shellac- lacquer type spray you can get at any craft store. Keeps them away and preserves the pumpkin.