PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hand Mixer?????

Triathlon13
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi!

I am asking for a hand mixer for x-mas (I have a cheap little sunbeam from walmart currently) and would love some ideas. I usually buy cuisinart or kitchen aid-but thought I would get some thoughts from the real cook's/baker's out there!

Thanks so much!!!

Michelle

testkitchen45
10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I think ATK tested hand mixers, and the KitchenAid was the winner--it had enough power to mix cookie dough. I'd go with the nicest KitchenAid you can afford, not b/c I like to spend $, but b/c I think the top-of-the-line one has a few more speeds. If you already have a stand mixer, you may not need all those speeds. I love my 5-speed KAid; I think there's a 7-speed one out there but I'm happy with my 5.

No matter what you get, order a set of extra beaters. It's a big help, esp. during a busy holiday baking/cooking season.

Max Sutton
10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I love my Kitchen Aid hand mixer.

Donnaluv2cruise
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I too have the kitchen aid and really like it. Although I really think you only need 3 speeds. Low, medium and high.

funniegrrl
10-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm a single girl who has never had enough counter or storage space for a stand mixer. I have a Sunbeam hand mixer I got on clearance for about $11 at Target at LEAST 15 years ago. I love it because it not only came with the typical two beaters, but a whisk attachment, a "folding" paddle attachment, and a spindle like on a milkshake machine. I have made cakes, cookies, you name it. The only thing I haven't tried with it is yeast bread, and I like mixing those by hand any way.

So yeah, sometimes I lust after a bigger, badder hand mixer (barring actually getting a stand mixer), but honestly, the one I have does just fine.

charley
10-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I have the Braun MultiMix. Before that it was a Hamilton Beach. I like to mix bread dough with a hand mixer, so dough hooks are important.

Here's a review of stand and hand mixers. (http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/mixers/)

jtoepfert100
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I have a Kitchen Aid and a cheapie, maybe Braun, that I bought at Target when my Kitchen Aid broke and I had to send it in for repairs. After I got the Kitchen Aid back, I found myself using the cheap one more and more. Yes, the Kitchen Aid is powerful, but I didn't find it any more powerful than the cheap mixer. Also, my cheap mixer came with two sets of beaters, which if you bake a lot, is a god send. Finally, I HATE the cord on the Kitchen Aid (and I think ATK even talks about that issue). It was always in my way.

I've recently moved and can't find either of my mixers anywhere. I broke down and bought another one and this time I got a 3 speed Cuisinart because it was on sale. I haven't used it yet but I plan on it this weekend and will report back.

Triathlon13
10-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks all for the good advice. I will look into the kitchen aid mixer. The sunbeam would be fine except the beaters always fall out-so I just figured since I am going to get one, I should find out what the best ones out there are!

Sounds like it could be a hit or miss on any of them-but I will figure it out!

Thanks so much!

Michelle