PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Hedonist could you please post your recipe of yellow cake?

Lorena
10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Some time ago you shared a recipe for yellow cake, which calls for white wine. I tried it and it was per-fect for strawberry shortcake.
Could you please post it again?
I cannot find it with the search function. Morever, someone else could be interested. TIA!!!

erinlovesmarc
10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
is this it? I did a search for you...

The Silver Palate's Favorite Yellow Cake

2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 C Veg. oil*
1 C dry white wine**
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. grease & flour 2 9-inch round cake pans, or 13X9 pan, or 12 muffin cups.

2. Beat sugar & eggs together with electric mixer for 30 seconds on medium speed. Add remaining ingredients; beat for 1 minute.

3. Pour batter into prepared pans, set on middle rack of oven & bake for 30 minutes, or till cake has pulled away from sides of pan and knife inserted in center comes out clean. ( I always use the "spring" test)

4. Let cakes cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. Good room temp or chilled with your choice of icing or plain.

* I often replace the oil with 1 stick of melted butter (less fat, but a richer one) and it works fine.

**I sometimes replace the wine with an equal amount of buttermilk with a squirt of fresh lemon.

The taste varies with the wine you choose. This recipe is no fail, easy and just plain great. There's a reason it's in two cookbooks, and it will be reprinted with permission in my first cookbook, too.

--mari

HealthyinMN
10-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Some time ago you shared a recipe for yellow cake, which calls for white wine. I tried it and it was per-fect for strawberry shortcake.
Could you please post it again?
I cannot find it with the search function. Morever, someone else could be interested. TIA!!!

Is this what you are looking for?

The Silver Palate's Favorite Yellow Cake

2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 C Veg. oil*
1 C dry white wine**
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. grease & flour 2 9-inch round cake pans, or 13X9 pan, or 12 muffin cups.

2. Beat sugar & eggs together with electric mixer for 30 seconds on medium speed. Add remaining ingredients; beat for 1 minute.

3. Pour batter into prepared pans, set on middle rack of oven & bake for 30 minutes, or till cake has pulled away from sides of pan and knife inserted in center comes out clean. ( I always use the "spring" test)

4. Let cakes cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. Good room temp or chilled with your choice of icing or plain.

* I often replace the oil with 1 stick of melted butter (less fat, but a richer one) and it works fine.

**I sometimes replace the wine with an equal amount of buttermilk with a squirt of fresh lemon.

The taste varies with the wine you choose. This recipe is no fail, easy and just plain great. There's a reason it's in two cookbooks, and it will be reprinted with permission in my first cookbook, too.

--mari

Lorena
10-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks so much, Erin, this is the recipe!! Sorry, I could not find it! :o
Just to add, and if somebody wants to try it, I did it using butter, not oil. I will try using half and half too (half butter, half oil!).
Thanks again! :)

heavy hedonist
11-01-2007, 12:41 PM
thank you, friends, for coming to Lorena's aid-- i have been in recovery from a long in-laws visit all week and have stayed offline. hope the cake works nice for your purposes--

i should add, this is the ideal cake to pour over pineapple and the usual toppings for pineapple upside-down cake. it's great in my cast-iron skillet!