PDA

View Full Version : Computer gurus

MaryH
11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I have an older computer that I am looking to donate. But before I do that I need to wipe the hard drive clean. Does anyone know of reliable free ware that does this. The computer currently has some type of Trojan virus and also had some sensitive personal information on it. So I want it really wiped clean, not just "deleted." I don't care that I am losing whatever files were on there, I just want them gone.

Any suggestions?

Gumbeaux
11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I would remove the hard drive before donating it.

jeanrw
11-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree with Gumbeaux. And then dismantle or destroy the hard drive before sending it to the trash.

MaryH
11-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Excuse this (perhaps) really simple question but HOW do you dismantle or destroy a hard drive - take a hammer to it??

Gumbeaux
11-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Excuse this (perhaps) really simple question but HOW do you dismantle or destroy a hard drive - take a hammer to it??

That'll do it! ;)

JulieM
11-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Here's a link to a good file shredder:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,65203-order,1-page,1/description.html

I would just shred your personal information and then reformat the drive.

swquilts
11-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Mary, at work we use a program called Wipe Drive. It wipes out ALL info on the HD according to specifications set by the Dept of Defense. It makes like 7 to 8 passes, also catches hidden files.

I happen to have it here at home....I can send it to you, use it and send it back whenever. Or I can have DW take it to work and you could drop by there???

tea4one
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
The Wipe drive sounds interesting but normally when I donate a computer I take the hard drive out of it.

MaryH
11-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am in touch with swquilts. I'll have to see what the deal is once I wipe it clean. I don't know how big the hard drive even is in terms of memory but I am assuming it is fairly limited because this computer was put together 5-7 years ago.