PDA

View Full Version : Bruise with a red dot in the middle?

SusanL
11-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I never get bruises on the inside of my leg, it looks a bruise but has a red dot in the middle. It is a perfect circle. Any clues? We have been searching and found nothing. Ackk!

Hammster
11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
DW had something like that and we could only come up with it was some sort of insect bite. Is the red dot hot to the touch?
I think she used a little OTC cortisone cream on it.
However, as is said frequently around here, I'm no doctor so keep an eye on it and get to your doctor if it gets worse.

lindaofthelakes
11-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Myaybe a chigger bite with the red dot still the chigger??? Have you been sitting on the ground in the woods?

Vicanddi
11-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Is the red dot raised or flat?

cherylopal
11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I just had something like that on my leg- a bruise with 3 dots in the center. I had just been on an outward bound type experience on my teacher professional day and thought that I must have run into a twig or something?? It healed like any other bruise and I've not had any other symptoms. It wasn't raised, warm or anything just kinda weird looking.

Puppylove
11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Could it be a tick?

SusanL
11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
The bruise is elevated and the bite hole is flat. A doctor returned my call later last night and agreed that I shouldn't go to the EMR over the weekend. Just watch it and see. They have too many really more important cases than me. I will watch it and see. But it just seemed so odd~

cminmd
11-04-2007, 08:52 AM
One of the things we do when we tell patients to wait over the weekend is to use a ball point pen to trace the outside of the red area. That way you can be sure that it is getting bigger or smaller. Make sure to keep the bite/bruise very clean because MRSA infections can enter in a tiny bite and become a big problem.

tidee
11-04-2007, 02:01 PM
it does sound like a spider bite susan. i get one once in a while, but never seem to notice it till later. good luck.

Kristilyn1
11-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Please take a picture of it and go to the doctor and get a Lyme test. If you look online for "bulls-eye rash" or Lyme rash. It can look many different ways. My son was treated this summer for it and his was a white welt with a perfect ring around it. The doctor who has treated a few cases of Lyme, believed it was an allergic reaction, which made no sense as his looked like the ones we had seen online. Luckily, his test was positive so we knew that's what the rash was. It did not in any way look like an insect bite. The rash will appear anywhere from 3-30 days after the bite. And no, we never knew he even got bit---and neither did the 8 other people I know who have had Lyme's.

It may not be prevalent where you are, but you are certainly in an area where it is possible. Please, also don't let the doctor put you off on it. It's a simple blood test. I'm no doctor, obviously, and not trying to be alarmist--but untreated Lyme can be extremely serious and debilitating and there is no reason NOT to test if you have what is called a bullseye rash. In fact the recommended treatment is to treat for Lyme based ONLY on the rash, even without a confirmed blood test.

Kristi

NewMrsG
11-04-2007, 07:09 PM
My daughter was also diagnosed with Lyme disease this summer. It was my first thought when you mentioned that the mark was a "perfect circle" - which is exactly what hers looked like. But of course it could mean a million things.

I'll also add that from everything I've read and heard (which is a lot, after my daughter was diagnosed), it's nothing to worry about as long as it's caught and treated early.

SusanL
11-08-2007, 05:59 AM
My cat likes to stretch out to sleep on my legs. I think when I jumped up too quickly, forgetting she was there; she dug her back claws in. Believe it has to be because I really wasn't outside and she doesn't go ooutside. It was just odd that the bruise was round like that (I bruise easily). Thanks again.