PDA

View Full Version : For how long can you keep crepe batter b4 making crepes?

testkitchen45
11-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I was going to try a new crepe recipe & made batter at 4, intending to make crepes at 5. Instead, I was outdoors with my kids, enjoying bikes, cool weather, neighborly chat . . . the batter must wait till tomorrow. Will it be OK, or should I toss it & start over? Thanks!

funniegrrl
11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
It will be fine tomorrow -- in fact, they will probably be lovely and delicate after that nice long rest for the batter. I believe Julia Child said it's good for up to 2 days.

testkitchen45
11-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks, funniegrrl--you know, you've answered a lot of my baking questions lately. :) I bet you bake a lot. What exactly is happening with the crepe batter during that rest, to where it'll be even better tomorrow? I think it has something to do with the gluten, but don't know for sure.

dneilson
11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
In addition to the gluten relaxing (not that it matters w/ crepes but is important with pie crust and cakes...) -- the flours hydrate by absorbing more moisture. I allow my crepe batter to sit overnight in the fridge. Batter is always thicker next day.

I've also read by master bread bakers that bread dough "ripens" with long, slow rises (Nancy Silverton, et al) increasing flavor -- I've allowed yeast bread to rise in the fridge many times.

Dolores

heavy hedonist
11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
it should be good for up to three days. i make up batters like that, or pancake/waffle, and use it up gradually on the weekend. one mix job, 2-3 breakfasts.;)

testkitchen45
11-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks, everyone. Not surprisingly for me, I have a few quick f/u questions. :o

The crepe batter has separated in the fridge. I'm sure this is normal, but do I gently stir it up or should I remix in the blender? Does it even matter?

When you make pancakes or waffles (not crepes, as they're so thin) with l/o batter, do you need to carefully rewarm the batter in the m'wave to bring it back up to room temp, or just use it cold?

As long as we're on the subject of pancakes . . . I made KA's Spelt Pancakes yesterday & did let the batter rest for 15 min, & yet they were flat as, well, a pancake. ;) The 1st time I made them, they puffed up just fine. What'd I do wrong? :confused:

sneezles
11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
A gentle couple of turns with a whisk is all the batter needs.

I never warm batter in the microwave just let it sit out while gathering all the other bits.

I'm not familiar with the spelt recipe.

funniegrrl
11-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Unlike crepe batter, pancake and waffle batter has leavening. Using leftover batter in these cases -- which I've done many times, BTW -- means that it doesn't have the rising power it did when freshly made. So, you get something that tastes as good, just didn't rise as high.

testkitchen45
11-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Unlike crepe batter, pancake and waffle batter has leavening. Using leftover batter in these cases -- which I've done many times, BTW -- means that it doesn't have the rising power it did when freshly made. So, you get something that tastes as good, just didn't rise as high.

The weird thing is that the spelt-pancake batter was freshly made. I'll check my baking powder, but it was OK just a few days ago for other baking. :confused: I've never had baking powder around long enough for it to go flat.

sneezles
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
The weird thing is that the spelt-pancake batter was freshly made. I'll check my baking powder, but it was OK just a few days ago for other baking. :confused: I've never had baking powder around long enough for it to go flat.

I would say that's most likely the cause because I save batter overnight and don't have a problem with the pancakes rising.

testkitchen45
11-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I would say that's most likely the cause because I save batter overnight and don't have a problem with the pancakes rising.

Well, who knows. I did test my baking powder, and it's great--so maybe this recipe needed to sit a little longer than the recommended time today. Oh, well! The flavor was good.

Based on the recommendations about my crepe batter, I may put it off till tomorrow; today's been "one of those days" and it might need to wait! Thanks, all!

sneezles
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, who knows. I did test my baking powder, and it's great--so maybe this recipe needed to sit a little longer than the recommended time today. Oh, well! The flavor was good.

Maybe you actually forgot to put any baking powder in?:p ;)

testkitchen45
11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, I made the crepes, and they turned out fine! I have to get better at it, though; I tend to roll the batter around (as you're supposed to), and have it go up the sides a little bit (as you're not supposed to)--the result can be crepes with edges so thin, they're crispy. But I'm learning, and appreciate the help.

And yes, sneezles, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that I'd omitted the baking powder. No one should be allowed to measure for a recipe b4 that 2nd cup of coffee kicks in. ;)

ajowen
11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
For what it's worth, my granny used to freeze leftover pancake batter for use in the future. I haven't got any idea how she thawed it though!

sneezles
11-12-2007, 06:50 AM
For what it's worth, my granny used to freeze leftover pancake batter for use in the future. I haven't got any idea how she thawed it though!

We've done that for years and just used the toaster.