PDA

View Full Version : What else can I do with rotten bananas besides banana bread?

Gracie
11-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I have accumulated a lot of rotten bananas in the freezer and I have to do something with them. I have made 3 loaves of banana bread in the last 6 weeks and I'd like to do something different.

any ideas? I really don't want to throw them out.

Loren

jadenegro
11-18-2007, 05:35 PM
We always seem to have overripe bananas at our house...I won't eat raw bananas once they get much past the green stage.

I thought these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins were really good (see below). Also I adore Cocoa-nana bread below (very chocolatey). If you have the book King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking, the Banana Crunch Cake (more like a coffee cake) in it is awesome. I don't have it typed up but I can put it in later if you're interested.

I'm not sure what bread you are making but I like the marbled one from CL a lot.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Recipe By : King Arthur Flour
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Muffins

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
3/4 c chocolate chips
1 c chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 med overripe bananas -- mashed (about 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and allspice. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in the egg, mashed bananas and milk. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture.

Evenly divide the batter between a 12 cup muffin tin coated with nonstick spray. Bake about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before carefully removing them from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins.

Source:
"King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cocoa-Nana Bread

Recipe By : Dorie Greenspan
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Quick Breads

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons unsalted butter -- at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 medium ripe bananas -- mashed
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate -- coarsely chopped, or 1/2 cup store bought chocolate chips

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and place in on a cookie sheet.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed for about a minute, until softened. Add the sugars and beat for 2 minutes more. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition. At this point, the batter may look a little curdled -- it's okay. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Still on low speed, add the buttermilk, mixing until it is incorporated. Stir in the chopped chocolate. Scrape the batter into the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes. Cover the bread loosely with a foil tent to keep the top from getting too dark, and continue to bake for another 40 to 45 minutes (total baking time is between 70 and 75 minutes), or until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for at least 20 minutes before running a knife around the edges of the bread and unmolding it. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up.

Source:
"Baking: From My Home to Yours"

PattiA
11-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Frozen bananas are great in smoothies if you want to use some without baking. My fav smoothie is a scoop of vanilla whey powder, 1 cup of plain nonfat kefir (http://www.lifeway.net/product/kefir_nonfat.php)(or yogurt), 1 fresh or frozen banana, and 1/2 cup frozen blueberries.

zackaboo
11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
You can make biscotti...

Banana Bread Biscotti

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Biscotti

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1 T canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine banana, oil, egg and vanilla, and mix until well blended. Add the flour mixture and walnuts to the banana mixture and stir just until combined. If the mixture seems dry, use your hands to mix.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, divide in half and shape each piece into an 8 inch log. Place the logs 2-3 inches apart on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and flatten each into a rectangle that is about 3 inches wide.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm and cracked on top. Transfer to wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 275 degrees.

Place logs on a cutting board, trim the ends and cut each diagonally into 1/2" to 3/4" thick slices. Place biscotti cut side down on the cookie sheet. Return them to the oven for 20 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.

Source:
"One Smart Cookie"
Yield:
"2 dozen"

NOTES : Banana Chocolate Chip Biscotti: Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips along with the walnuts.

avariell
11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
i love this recipe

Pumpkin Banana Mousse Tart
Copyright 2002 Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All rights reserved

Show: Barefoot Contessa
Episode: Thanksgiving
This recipe is available for a limited time only. Why?
For the crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (14 crackers)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 extra-large egg yolks
1 package (2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1 ripe banana, finely mashed
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar

For the decoration:
1 cup (1/2 pint) cold heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Orange zest, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a bowl and mix well. Pour into an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and press evenly into the sides and then the bottom. Bake for 10 minutes and then cool to room temperature.

For the filling, heat the half-and-half, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until hot, about 5 minutes. Whisk the egg yolks in another bowl, stir some of the hot pumpkin into the egg yolks to heat them, then pour the egg-pumpkin mixture back into the double boiler and stir well. Heat the mixture over the simmering water for another 4 to 5 minutes, until it begins to thicken, stirring constantly. You don't want the eggs to scramble. Remove from the heat.
Dissolve the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Add the dissolved gelatin, banana, and orange zest to the pumpkin mixture and mix well. Set aside to cool.

Whip the heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until you have firm peaks. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture and pour it into the cooled tart shell. Chill for 2 hours or overnight.

For the decoration, whip the heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whisk until you have firm peaks. Pipe or spoon the whipped cream decoratively on the tart and sprinkle, if desired, with orange zest. Serve chilled.

Alleycat
11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Lucky me! I have 6 bananas that will be too ripe to eat just in time for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the ideas.

I also like to make banana pancakes with my overripe nanners. I find them sweet enough to not need syrup :)

pilgrim719
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
My grandma always made these cookies with overripe bananas and we all loved them. She used to put walnuts in them because my grandfather preferred them that way, but I like them better without.

Kari

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter -- softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats -- or quick-cooking oats

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon; stir into creamed mixture. Add mashed bananas and oats; mix until well blended.

Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove cookies from sheets and cool on wire racks.

Source:
"Beulah Jensen"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 123 Calories; 6g Fat (41.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 24mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 904111 0

peachesncream
11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
We love these banana bars, from the Betty Crocker website.

Banana Bars

These bars have a sweet cream cheese icing; taste even better the second day.

1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-1/2 medium)
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 13 X 9 inch pan with shortening. In large bowl, mix sugar, bananas, oil and eggs with spoon. In smaller bowl, mix dry ingredients; add them to wet ingredients. Spread in pan.

Bake bars 25 to 30 minutes or until they test done in middle (27 minutes in my oven). Cool completely (about 1 hour).

In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla with mixer on medium speed. Gradually add powdered sugar with a spoon, until smooth and spreadable. (Add a bit of milk, if needed, to thin frosting.)

Spread with frosting. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store in refrigerator.

Note: These are not tall like a cake, but thinner like a bar.

peachesncream
11-18-2007, 08:20 PM
When I have extra bananas, I often whip up this easy coffeecake.

Banana Crumb Cake

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups mashed banana
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted (or canola oil)

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter (cold)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9 X 9 inch square pan.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over cake. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

emncar
11-18-2007, 08:25 PM
We love CL's Monkey Bars but I usually replace the walnuts with either chocolate or butterscotch chips:

Monkey Bars

This moist snacking cake might remind you of banana bread.

1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum or apple juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
3 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine the raisins and rum in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 1 minute, and set aside. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 3 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Set aside.

Combine brown sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add banana and next 3 ingredients (banana through egg whites), beating well. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in raisin mixture and walnuts.

Spread the batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool the bars completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

CALORIES 135 (31% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 2g,mono 1.1g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 2g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 27mg; SODIUM 136mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.8g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2001

ADM
11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I have accumulated a lot of rotten bananas in the freezer

Are you saying rotten, or do you really mean over-ripe? The conotation is entirely different! Cakes, cookies, muffins come to mind. If not frozen I would suggest *Bananas, as a sidedish for Curry.*

HealthyinMN
11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Here are a few recipes that are not a banana bread that we have made... If you want more info about any of these, I'm just going to link the recipe title to the page where we talked about them as I'm about to hit the hay!

Banana Pecan Blue Cornmeal Pancakes (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/11/almost-time-for-turkey-day.html)

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup blue cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium or large ripe banana, mashed
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. In another medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, milk, and egg. Add the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Gently fold in pecans.

Preheat a nonstick griddle over medium to medium-high heat and lightly coat with cooking spray. Drop a scant 1/4 cup full of batter onto the griddle to form round pancakes. Cook until bubbles start to appear on the surface and underneath the pancake is golden brown. Flip pancakes with a spatula and cook until golden brown and the pancakes are cooked through.

Yield is 8-10 pancakes

Frosted Peanut Butter and Banana Bars (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/12/chunky-or-smooth-i-still-love-you.html)(Adapted from One Smart Cookie)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5983/1265/400/PBCake2.jpg

2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg white
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 350

Lightly coat a 8X8" pan with cooking spray

In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, oil, sugars, egg, egg white and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in bananas until blended - the batter will be lumpy.

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in peanut butter chips. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.

Place batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. The original recipe had the time at 40-45 minutes, but when I made them they were done way earlier. Bake until the top is golden and starts to pull away from the sides. If you touch the center it should spring back. Cool completely before frosting.

Peanut butter frosting(Adapted from One Smart Cookie)

2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, combine peanut buter, butter and sugar. Stir over medium heat until melted and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in the milk. Cool completely.

Add in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until it is spreadable and smooth.

Banana Cream Pie Smoothie (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2006/08/can-never-have-too-many-naners.html) (Adapted from CL)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5983/1265/400/BananaDrink4.0.jpg

1 large very ripe banana, sliced
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
5 tablespoons honey graham cracker crumbs, divided
1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 - 5 ice cubes

Freeze banana slices for about an hour, or until firm.

Process frozen banana slices, yogurt, soymilk, 3 tablespoons graham crackers, dry milk, vanilla and ice cubes in a blender until smooth. Portion out into 2 glasses and top each one with 1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs.

Banana Pumpkin Smoothie (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2006/10/still-chuggin-along.html) (Adapted from CL)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5983/1265/400/PumpSmooth6.jpg

1 cup vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup mashed pumpkin, semi frozen or chilled
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice cubes (depending on how thick you want it)
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
scant 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large very ripe banana, frozen and diced

Puree yogurt, pumpkin, ice cubes, orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and banana in a blender until smooth.

Makes about 2 cups.

cumulus
11-19-2007, 03:44 AM
I was in the same predicament last night, and actually ended up making the KA Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (from Joe's blog, posted by jadenegro above). Very tasty! So, I'll second the recommendation for those :)

Gracie
11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
These are great suggestions, thanks! I think I'll go with cookies and/or bars. I realized I was looking for something with a different texture than bread/muffins/cake.

Loren

tbb113
11-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Loren - if you still need ideas check out this thread http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=35926&highlight=ripe+pears Has lots of banana (and pear) recipes

GingerPow
11-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Frozen bananas are great in smoothies if you want to use some without baking. My fav smoothie is a scoop of vanilla whey powder, 1 cup of plain nonfat kefir (http://www.lifeway.net/product/kefir_nonfat.php)(or yogurt), 1 fresh or frozen banana, and 1/2 cup frozen blueberries.
Absolutely - I love frozen banana smoothies. They are just like a frosty milk shake. I love to add about a tablespoon of real maple syrup to the smoothie. The flavor combination of the maple and banana compliment each other perfectly.

avariell
11-19-2007, 09:00 PM
i forgot about this recipe... i love it too!

SPICED PUMPKIN SOUP

"When autumn comes to Chicago, I love going to Lucca's to enjoy a big bowl of pumpkin soup while sitting outside on the patio ," writes Tom Cove of Chicago, Illinois. "Can you get this terrific recipe?"
A medley of exotic spices plus coconut milk and banana add complexity and rich flavor.

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped carrot
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped ripe banana
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1 whole clove
5 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 cups canned pure pumpkin
3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk*
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrot and next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot. Add broth and all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Boil soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes to blend flavors. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.)
Bring soup to simmer. Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
* Canned unsweetened coconut milk is sold at Indian, Southeast Asian, and Latin American markets and at many supermarkets.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
November 2002
Lucca's, Chicago, IL

rockydog
11-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Just wanted to thank pilgrim719's for that wonderful cookie recipe. (I think). My kids and I gobbled them up, ohhhhh so much for eating better starting today. If you haven't made them, they are delicious.:)

Beverlee