PDA

View Full Version : Making Pecan Pie one day ahead

lizzieb75
11-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Really, I'm only making the pecan pie just over 12 hours ahead. I want to make my pecan pie Wednesday night for lunch at noon on Thursday. Do I need to refrigerate it overnight after baking?

manetta
11-19-2007, 12:20 PM
If your kitchen is cool, I don't see any problem with letting it sit out on the counter. If your kitchen is warm, I would refrigerate it and bring it to room temperature before serving. HTH.

lizzieb75
11-19-2007, 12:22 PM
thanks, manetta. very helpful.

potato_moose
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Really, I'm only making the pecan pie just over 12 hours ahead. I want to make my pecan pie Wednesday night for lunch at noon on Thursday. Do I need to refrigerate it overnight after baking?

I think I would--or at least put it in a cold garage or something.

sneezles
11-19-2007, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't refrigerate the pie at all. I only freeze leftovers but a pecan pie doesn't usually last long enough around here.

lizzieb75
11-20-2007, 09:38 AM
sneezles- you wouldn't refrigerate it overnight before serving the next day?

i wish it was going to be cold enough to stick in a cold garage, but it's in the mid-70's in AR right now (unusually warm for AR this time of year).

Veronica
11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm making a pecan pie on Wednesday and don't plan to refrigerate it before Thanksgiving. I'll just let it come to room temperature before covering and serve it the next day. I don't think you'll have a problem leaving it out -- especially for only 12 hours.

ArtoriusRex
11-20-2007, 10:36 AM
While I don't think it's absolutely necessary to refrigerate the pie if it's only going to be sitting out for 12 hours, I like the texture of the pecan pie filling better if it has been refrigerated first.

Final serving temp is always a personal preference though. :)

sneezles
11-20-2007, 11:00 AM
sneezles- you wouldn't refrigerate it overnight before serving the next day?

i wish it was going to be cold enough to stick in a cold garage, but it's in the mid-70's in AR right now (unusually warm for AR this time of year).

No, I don't refrigerate the pie. I will be making mine tomorrow and it will sit, covered, on the sideboard until dessert time on Thursday, right next to the peach.

We're suppose to get a front on Thursday! :cool:

potato_moose
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
It's in the mid-70's where Lizzie is, though...

Kathy B
11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
I never refrigerate pecan pie either. And I ALWAYS make it a day ahead.

sneezles
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
It's in the mid-70's where Lizzie is, though...

It's in the mid-70's in my house with the a/c running. I'm hoping the front will cool it down enough where the a/c doesn't have to run. Either way the pie isn't going in the fridge and any leftovers will be frozen.

Meganator
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
My family's pecan pies have never been refrigerated in my lifetime. But if you are so worried about it, there is certainly no harm in putting in the refrigerator. The food safety experts would probably say that it should be refrigerated, so I guess many of us here are living on the edge!

little_bopeep
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
It's in the mid-70's in my house with the a/c running. I'm hoping the front will cool it down enough where the a/c doesn't have to run. Either way the pie isn't going in the fridge and any leftovers will be frozen.

Hey, Susan...the front is supposed to hit us tomorrow with rain, and Thursday it's supposed to be 55 and clear. Then Saturday will be 46 and rainy. It's about time!

Beth Y
11-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I am with those that say it is no problem leaving it out overnight...done it many a time. However, i vote for heating it up a titch before you serve it to crisp up the crust.....and make the ice cream melt!