PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Cookies 2007!

veschke
11-25-2007, 05:02 AM
I love the holidays! Yesterday my three-year-old daughter and I kicked the season off with our traditional Mrs. Fields cutout cookies. Last weekend I impulse bought a holiday assortment of Wilton cookie cutters and I already love them. She was in charge of the sprinkles, a job she took very seriously for about two batches worth. :)

I have sworn off cookie swaps this year (too pregnant), but as I leaf through my recipe collection I am finding my list of "Ooh, but I *have* to make *those*" keeps getting longer... I'd like to be able to give cookie baskets to some coworkers before I disappear for a couple of months.

I think I'll do gingerbread next, if I can remember which recipe I used last year. Or else peanut blossoms, as long as I can force myself to freeze them instead of eating them by the half dozen.... And I want to try those Martha Stewart crackles that I never got around to last year. And my husband has asked for whiskey cake. And I got a bag of Hersheys Special Dark chocolate chips that need to find a use somewhere. And....

What's everyone else baking? :)

magpie
11-25-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm just now starting to plan my Holiday baking. Every year I make goodies to give to neighbors, co-workers, friends, our mechanic, etc. :D

This year I'm thinking of doing an assortment of bar cookies that I'll cut into 1 1/2 inch squares and pack in candy boxes. I'm definitely on the lookout for some good bar cookie recipes I can add to my repertoire!

magpie

cab321
11-25-2007, 06:44 AM
veshke - those chocolate crackles are good - I made them last year.

magpie - what bar cookies do you already have on your tried and true list?

With a new baby I'm looking for things that don't take as much time as normal. I'll still do one batch of cutouts and one batch of chocolate crackles, but gingerbread cutouts, welsh cakes and the like have been banished. Some of the drop cookies on this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=112753) look enticing. I'm also on the lookout for refrigerator cookies (might try beth's Dutch Santa Clause Cookies posted on the BB).

Here's a refrigerator cookie recipe I've made for a few years now:
Key Lime Cookies
Source: The Good Cookie

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lime rind
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into tablespoons
2 tablespoons lime juice, key lime
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
coarse sugar, for sprinkling

Combine flour, confectioners' sugar, baking powder, salt, lime zest, and ginger. Cut in butter until the mixture looks like coarse meal.

In a small cup, combine the lime juice and vanilla extract. Mix into the flour mixture until the dough starts to come together.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Knead it a few times, until it comes together. Divide the dough in half and roll each piece into an 8-inch log. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until firm (or up to 3 days).

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325ºF.

Unwrap the dough. Slice each log into rounds about 1/4 inch thick and place the cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle the cookies lightly with coarse sugar. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 14 to 18 minutes, until very lightly golden around the edges; do not overbake. Transfer the cookies to the wire racks and cool completely.

Makes 54 cookies

buffygirl
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm starting to plan my holiday baking as well. I was hoping someone had started a thread:)

I'm going to do some bars this year as well, I'm trying to figure out which ones. I made a chocolate/chocolate chip/peppermint cookie from SL for Thanksgiving which went over very well. Everyone at work is already requesting Val's Chocalate Cappucino Cookies, they are always a favorite.

My mom and I are going to bake in a few weeks so I will be interested to see what everyone else is making.

I also want to do some peanut butter fudge this year. Yum!

Kim

magpie
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
magpie - what bar cookies do you already have on your tried and true list?

Definitely the Creme de Menthe squares-- they are so vivid and pretty. The Apricot Sours are a favorite of my husband's. I got both those recipes from this BB. I also have a recipe of my mom's for Peanut Butter bars that are a layer of oatmeal-peanut butter cookie topped with a creamy peanut butter layer topped with chocolate. Very yummy!

I'd like to try some new things this year, as well. The Fig Orange Bars on the CL website look good but I wonder how well they could be cut into smaller squares without getting squished.

-magpie

buffygirl
11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Magpie, would you mind posting your mom's Peanut Butter Bar recipe? Those sound delicious and right up my alley.:)
Kim

Beth H
11-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Great thread. Right now, I'm planning:

Jam Thumbprints (Barefoot Contessa)
Molasses Crinkles (Gourmet from several years ago)
Chocolate Molasses (Everyday Food from a recent issue)
Buckeyes (family recipe)
White Chocolate Cranberry (Nigella Lawson)
Sugar "lollipops" (Everyday Food from October)
Rocky Road crunch bars (Nigella)
Toffee Bars (local Junior league cookbook)
Walnut Brittle (November CL)

Plus I have 5 or 6 other cookie recipes (at least) marked - each year I try to add one new one. We'll see. . .

Who can tell me about freezing dough? Is it best just to form the dough into a ball, wrap, freeze, and then thaw when ready to make the cookies?

erin elizabeth
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Oooh, I started my list of possibles. We always do frosted sugar cookies and usually snowballs and creme de menthe brownies, sometimes pecan tarts and peanut blossoms, but my new cookie list is growing. So far,

Chocolate Mint Wafers--cover of Everyday Food 12/07--the chocolate ones edged in white sprinkles

Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies--HealthyinMN CLBB

Spicy Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies--Jewel CLBB

Melting Moments--ChinaLady CLBB

Cranberry Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies--Fine Cooking

Espresso Crackles--MSL

Hmmm, heavy on the chocolate! Unusual for me. Who knows if these will actually get made or not!

RecipeGirl
11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I've just started planning my baking for the season!

I have LOTS that I would love to try. I'm going to try to make a commitment to make a new cookie recipe a day from now 'till Christmas (ok, or at least every other day). I do tons of cookie platters to give away, so it's a nice opportunity to try new recipes without having to eat everything! I know it seems weird, but I rarely repeat a recipe. It's so much fun to discover new ones. If my family wants something that I've made before, they have to beg me to make it again ;)

On the list to make this week are:

Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Milk%20Chocolate%20Chip%20Gingersnaps.htm#top%20of %20page)
Chocolate- Espresso Snowcaps (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Chocolate-%20Espresso%20Snowcaps.htm#top%20of%20page)
Cinnamon Shortbread (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Cinnamon%20Shortbread.htm#top%20of%20page)
Gossamer Spice Cookies (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Gossamer%20Spice%20Cookies.htm#top%20of%20page)

magpie
11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Magpie, would you mind posting your mom's Peanut Butter Bar recipe? Those sound delicious and right up my alley.:)
Kim

Sure thing!

Peanut Butter Bars

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 c. peanut butter
1/2 t. soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. flour
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 to 4 T. evaporated milk (I just use regular milk or cream)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Blend in egg, 1/2 cup peanut butter, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Stir in flour and oats. Spread this out into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes- just until firm and beginning to brown at the edges.

While still hot, sprinkle chocolate chips over the cookie layer and let stand about five minutes until the chocolate melts. Spread to make a smooth layer. Let this cool completely.

Combine the powdered sugar, remaining 1/4 c. peanut butter and milk. Spread this over the chocolate. Cut into bars.

Note: I always tinker with the proportions-- I love the peanut butter so I tend to increase it in the frosting. I also prefer more of the frosting layer so I will make 1 1/2 times the amount.:p

doggerham
11-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm trying to somewhat limit my cookie baking -- that holiday weight issue, don't you know!

That said, I made 3 kinds of biscotti on Sunday and Monday. I'll use them later this week to send with DH for his treat day. Usually I make them a coffee cake or pound cake, but I felt like biscotti. So DH will make some lovely French Roast coffee and take that too.

Double Chocolate Hazelnut
Ginger
Vanilla Almond

So I have dark brown, medium brown and light golden brown -- it will look pretty. All these recipes are on this board somewhere, if anyone is interested, I'll hunt them down again. I know for sure the Ginger ones are a King Arthur recipe. That one had an interesting technique tip that I hadn't seen in the past. They have you spray the uncut loaves with water (after the first baking), let sit 5 minutes, and then cut. This helps soften the crust a bit so it doesn't crumble so much. I used this on both the chocolate and ginger, and it really helped. The vanilla almond recipe didn't need it, since it used melted butter and was a softer-natured biscotti.

Amy

GingerPow
11-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Look what I found!!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w127/PerfectLinus/DonnieCookie.gif
Recipe Links: Donnie Cookie Bars (http://www.cookiemadness.net/?s=Vienna)
Vienna Squares (http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=221)

Yesterday was the day I started my holiday baking list and research. You know how one thing leads to another while Googling - I came across this lucious looking bar cookie called "Vienna Squares" through a similar recipe called "Donnie Cookies" on the wonderful Cookie Madness blog. These cookies look so delicious, I must make these in addition to my traditional cookies, which are:

> Chocolate Chip
> Snickerdoodles
> White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
> Date Bars (my MIL makes the BEST date bars, I wait to see if she's made them for me before I make my own.)
> Butterscotch Blonde Brownies (found a new version to try: "Toasted Pecan, Coconut & White Chocolate Chunk Bars :p )
> Double Chocolate Cherry cookies
> My apple-spice Christmas Cake which I've been making for over 20 years. I make it as a dessert cake, muffins for Christmas morning and a loaf to freezer. There is an adult version with a brandy glaze, and a family friendly version minus nuts and the brandy glaze, just sprinkled with powdered sugar. It's just not Christmas without this cake!

RecipeGirl
11-27-2007, 09:53 AM

I have LOTS that I would love to try. I'm going to try to make a commitment to make a new cookie recipe a day from now 'till Christmas (ok, or at least every other day). I do tons of cookie platters to give away, so it's a nice opportunity to try new recipes without having to eat everything! I know it seems weird, but I rarely repeat a recipe. It's so much fun to discover new ones. If my family wants something that I've made before, they have to beg me to make it again ;)

On the list to make this week are:

Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Milk%20Chocolate%20Chip%20Gingersnaps.htm#top%20of %20page)
Chocolate- Espresso Snowcaps (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Chocolate-%20Espresso%20Snowcaps.htm#top%20of%20page)
Cinnamon Shortbread (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Cinnamon%20Shortbread.htm#top%20of%20page)
Gossamer Spice Cookies (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Gossamer%20Spice%20Cookies.htm#top%20of%20page)

Get out a tall glass of milk! I made the Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps yesterday. YUMMM! Just a hint of ginger flavor amidst the milk chocolate. They were really good right out of the oven, and then firmed up a bit as they cooled. Here's (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Milk%20Chocolate%20Chip%20Gingersnaps.htm#top%20of %20page) the recipe.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/DSCF2588.jpg

Triathlon13
11-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Magpie-the peanut butter bars sound GREAT! and I think everyone would love them at our holiday cooking club party---do you use natural peanut butter or the other? Do you think using natural would ruin them?

Thanks,
Michelle

helene
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Lori,

have you tried all the recipes on your website? They look so good.

RecipeGirl
11-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Lori,

have you tried all the recipes on your website? They look so good.

I'm workin' on it :) If it has a picture, it is something that I've tried. Some things I have on the site, I may have tried a long time ago and just don't have a picture yet.

Sometimes a recipe just sounds delicious to me, and I go ahead and add it to the site and try it later. If something is icky or gets bad reviews, I take it off the site! No use keeping the average stuff around.

ljt2r
11-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Good thread! On my list (which I will start a little this week and get going in earnest early next week) are:

Shortbread (basic recipe--will make twice since I give a lot away)
biscotti (probably 2 recipes, Biscotti Nocciole-Cioccolato from Biscotti by Lou Pappas and one I haven't picked yet)
Mocha Truffle Cookies (taken from the clbb)
Hungarian Shortbread from Baking with Julia (Gale Gand recipe I think)
Vanilla Kipfers (from KA Cookie Companion and the dough is already in my freezer)
Cardamom Almond Cookies (from KA Cookie Companion and the dough is also already in my freezer)
Mexican Wedding Cookies
Painted sugar cookies--this will be done at my mom's house with my kids twice so I am not really making them
Some mint recipe yet to be determined...

I am also staring at the Key Lime Cookies posted on this thread..... :D

Laura

RecipeGirl
11-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Good thread! On my list (which I will start a little this week and get going in earnest early next week) are:

Shortbread (basic recipe--will make twice since I give a lot away)
biscotti (probably 2 recipes, Biscotti Nocciole-Cioccolato from Biscotti by Lou Pappas and one I haven't picked yet)
Mocha Truffle Cookies (taken from the clbb)
Hungarian Shortbread from Baking with Julia (Gale Gand recipe I think)
Vanilla Kipfers (from KA Cookie Companion and the dough is already in my freezer)
Cardamom Almond Cookies (from KA Cookie Companion and the dough is also already in my freezer)
Mexican Wedding Cookies
Painted sugar cookies--this will be done at my mom's house with my kids twice so I am not really making them
Some mint recipe yet to be determined...

I am also staring at the Key Lime Cookies posted on this thread..... :D

Laura

Have you tried the Cardamom Almond Cookies before? Those sound yummy. If you have a chance to post that recipe, I would appreciate it! I have KA whole grain baking but not the Cookie Companion. Another one to buy... sigh!

ljt2r
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Have you tried the Cardamom Almond Cookies before? Those sound yummy. If you have a chance to post that recipe, I would appreciate it! I have KA whole grain baking but not the Cookie Companion. Another one to buy... sigh!

Will try to get to it today or tomorrow--please PM me if I forget. Things are kinda harried at my house these days.... :D :D

I baked one when I made the dough--my sister (avariell) did not like, too much almond flavor, which she does not like. I liked it but I think I chose to sprinkle powdered sugar on it which it did not call for.

arizonagirl
11-28-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm going to try pistachio bars this year. The recipe is from a new cookbook Dolce Italiano. I'll let you know how they turn out.

http://www.foodhuntersguide.blogspot.com/

RecipeGirl
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Will try to get to it today or tomorrow--please PM me if I forget. Things are kinda harried at my house these days.... :D :D

I baked one when I made the dough--my sister (avariell) did not like, too much almond flavor, which she does not like. I liked it but I think I chose to sprinkle powdered sugar on it which it did not call for.

Thanks- I appreciate it! Things are harried here too ;)

I love almond flavored cookies, so my hunch is that I'll like these. Powdered sugar sounds like a nice touch.

Avariell is my swap partner for December, so I'll be sure to avoid making her almond cookies :D

ljt2r
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks- I appreciate it! Things are harried here too ;)

I love almond flavored cookies, so my hunch is that I'll like these. Powdered sugar sounds like a nice touch.

Avariell is my swap partner for December, so I'll be sure to avoid making her almond cookies :D

Too funny--I will tell her she has me to thank to have saved her from lots of almond extract. ;) She just happened to be at my house when I made the cookie and I thought Yea a second opinion--but she was totally worthless. :p

ljt2r
11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm a little whacked out on Sudafed and Benedryl, so pardon any typos....

Cardamom-Almond Cookies

From King Arthur Cookie Companion
4 ½ dozen small cookies
350 degrees for 20 mins

1 cup unsalted butter chilled
¾ cup (3 oz) confectioner’s sugar
¾ tsp almond extract
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp salt
8 oz AP flour (1 7/8 cup)
½ cup (2 ½ oz) finely chopped almonds
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling (I used powdered sugar)

Cream butter, sugar, extract, cardamom and salt until light and fluffy. Add flour and nuts and stir until combined and mixture forms cohesive ball. Cover and chill for 1 hour.

Lightly grease or line with parchment 2 baking sheets.

Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and transfer them to the baking sheets. Let the cookies rest at room temp for 20 misn while oven preheats (350).

Bake cookies for about 20 mins or until golden brown. Remove form oven and sprinkle with sugar if using. Transfer to rack to cool.

GingerPow
11-29-2007, 05:57 AM

Cardamom-Almond Cookies

4 ½ dozen small cookies
350 degrees for 20 mins

¾ tsp almond extract
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp salt

Cream butter, sugar, extract, cardamom and salt until light and fluffy. Add flour and nuts and stir until combined and mixture forms cohesive ball. Cover and chill for 1 hour.

Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and transfer them to the baking sheets. Let the cookies rest at room temp for 20 misn while oven preheats (350).

Bake cookies for about 20 mins or until golden brown. Remove form oven and sprinkle with sugar if using. Transfer to rack to cool.
JUST added another cookie to my baking list! :D

veschke
11-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Get out a tall glass of milk! I made the Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps yesterday. YUMMM! Just a hint of ginger flavor amidst the milk chocolate. They were really good right out of the oven, and then firmed up a bit as they cooled. Here's (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Milk%20Chocolate%20Chip%20Gingersnaps.htm#top%20of %20page) the recipe.

Oh dear. Those look quite good. I'm looking for something I can send to a friend who has a birthday in December... the list is still getting *longer*. I'm never going to get to half of these.

RecipeGirl
11-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Too funny--I will tell her she has me to thank to have saved her from lots of almond extract. ;) She just happened to be at my house when I made the cookie and I thought Yea a second opinion--but she was totally worthless. :p

Thank you for posting! I hope to get to these this year :)

RecipeGirl
11-29-2007, 06:59 AM
I think these have been reviewed on this BB before, but I made Triple Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Triple-Chocolate%20Cranberry%20Oatmeal%20Cookies.htm#top% 20of%20page). We really enjoyed these. They are a great every-day type cookie, and then you dress them up with a bit of chocolate drizzle. DS (who hates things with cranberries in them) loved them.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/DSCF2601.jpg

Connor's mom
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I am hosting my annual Christmas brunch/cookie exchange this coming Sunday afternoon.

We always put a booklet together with the brunch recipes and all the cookie recipes. The brunch menu was a little challenging this year because one attendee cannot do cow’s milk, and I’m sub’ing goat cheese in the salad and frittata and figure she can pass on the crepes. DH has discovered what a great crepe maker he is, really wanted to contribute, and crepes are a nice addition to brunch.

Brunch Menu
Bloody Mary Bar
Champagne, Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
Miss Priss Punch (non-alcoholic)
Mini Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Capers, Red Onions
Mixed Fresh Fruit
Cranberry Orange Muffins (CL recipe)
Pear, Pecan, and Goat Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette (modified CL recipe; original used walnuts and another cheese)
Baked Asparagus and Pepper Frittata (old recipe, cannot recall where it came from, using goat cheese)
Chicken, Spinach, and Wild Mushroom Crepes (CL recipe)

Cookies
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lemon Kiss Cookies
Salted Nut Bars (mine, from this CLBB, but I used chocolate chips instead of butterscotch – a great change!)
Christmas M & M Cookies
Chocolate-Candy Cane Cookies
Robyn’s Ta-Da’s (this is the funniest recipe from a non-cooker, non-baker. "Recipe" is a mini pretzel, topped with a Rollo carmel chocolate, and a pecan half or M&M, baked @ 200 for 3-5 minutes!!)
Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cookies
Peanut Butter Pinwheels
Caramel Bars
Christmas Macaroons

DH and DS taste-test and judge all the cookies, prizes given, and I will report back what the winning recipe is.

RecipeGirl
11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I am hosting my annual Christmas brunch/cookie exchange this coming Sunday afternoon.

We always put a booklet together with the brunch recipes and all the cookie recipes. The brunch menu was a little challenging this year because one attendee cannot do cow’s milk, and I’m sub’ing goat cheese in the salad and frittata and figure she can pass on the crepes. DH has discovered what a great crepe maker he is, really wanted to contribute, and crepes are a nice addition to brunch.

Brunch Menu
Bloody Mary Bar
Champagne, Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
Miss Priss Punch (non-alcoholic)
Mini Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Capers, Red Onions
Mixed Fresh Fruit
Cranberry Orange Muffins (CL recipe)
Pear, Pecan, and Goat Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette (modified CL recipe; original used walnuts and another cheese)
Baked Asparagus and Pepper Frittata (old recipe, cannot recall where it came from, using goat cheese)
Chicken, Spinach, and Wild Mushroom Crepes (CL recipe)

Cookies
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lemon Kiss Cookies
Salted Nut Bars (mine, from this CLBB, but I used chocolate chips instead of butterscotch – a great change!)
Christmas M & M Cookies
Chocolate-Candy Cane Cookies
Robyn’s Ta-Da’s (this is the funniest recipe from a non-cooker, non-baker. "Recipe" is a mini pretzel, topped with a Rollo carmel chocolate, and a pecan half or M&M, baked @ 200 for 3-5 minutes!!)
Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cookies
Peanut Butter Pinwheels
Caramel Bars
Christmas Macaroons

DH and DS taste-test and judge all the cookies, prizes given, and I will report back what the winning recipe is.

Sounds like a truly lovely event!! Wish I could come ;) I'm missing our neighborhood's annual event this year as I'll be out of town :( I might host a little something for the kids and moms though to decorate cookies (and sip some nog).

I'll look forward to hearing your report on how everything went... winners, etc!

Deechef
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I just gained 10 lbs. scrolling through this thread :eek:

magpie
11-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Magpie-the peanut butter bars sound GREAT! and I think everyone would love them at our holiday cooking club party---do you use natural peanut butter or the other? Do you think using natural would ruin them?

Thanks,
Michelle

I tend to use regular old low fat Jif. Natural peanut butter is tricky for baking-- it separates so easily and it is a bit oily. That said, give it a try-- it may be perfectly delicious! :)

-magpie

RecipeGirl
11-30-2007, 10:44 PM
I made these yesterday and they were very good. Thin, crisp wafers with a strong spice flavor... cardamom is ever-present (love it!) DH had some with coffee this morning.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/DSCF2636.jpg

erinlovesmarc
12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
can I just say that I am SOOOOO jealous!!!!! We are running a bit behind schedule with the renovations and my kitchen was supposed to have been done already...I've already been without a kitchen for 2 weeks now and I'm having withdrawals!!! The ceramic guys are here today and tomorrow and then the cabinets will be installed next week...then I have to wait for the granite and then the backsplash!!! I don't think I'm going to get any christmas baking done before christmas...I'm soooo sad!! I can't even put up my christmas tree because after the kitchen is done, if there is time, we will be putting in the new hardwood floors! :( Oh well...it's all for a good cause, I guess...

Anywho...if I do get to some xmas baking I will be making:

Vanilla Almond Biscotti's (Watkin's)
Nanaimo bars - xmas tradition!!!
Gingerbread cookies
Shortbread

oh, and of course, I will most definitely be making Tourtiere...not a cookie but a delish xmas tradition!!!!

cumulus
12-01-2007, 02:19 PM

I honestly hate all of you :). I promised myself I was only going to bake cookies once this year (planned for Dec. 17th with a friend) but I ended up making the Chocolate Gingersnaps this morning, and whipped together the dough to construct a gingerbread house tomorrow (using a MS recipe).

The Gingersnaps were very different from the ones I'm used too. Not too spicy, but just the right amount of punch from the healthy amount of cinnamon and ginger. I'm normally not a milk chocolate fan, but I had a bag of chips in the cupboard. They actually worked really well in this cookie! The texture was quite chewy on the inside (YUM) and a nice crisp exterior. Thanks for passing along the recipe.

RecipeGirl
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I honestly hate all of you :). I promised myself I was only going to bake cookies once this year (planned for Dec. 17th with a friend) but I ended up making the Chocolate Gingersnaps this morning, and whipped together the dough to construct a gingerbread house tomorrow (using a MS recipe).

The Gingersnaps were very different from the ones I'm used too. Not too spicy, but just the right amount of punch from the healthy amount of cinnamon and ginger. I'm normally not a milk chocolate fan, but I had a bag of chips in the cupboard. They actually worked really well in this cookie! The texture was quite chewy on the inside (YUM) and a nice crisp exterior. Thanks for passing along the recipe.

Glad you liked these :)

Connor's mom
12-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Reporting back on my cookie exchange this afternoon. By just looking, DH and DS thought the winner looked rather boring, but one taste changed their mind and these were clearly THE winner, hands down. The baker reported they are quite easy to make and was so cute (and very shocked) to be selected with having a prize recipe!!

Lemon Kiss Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups finely chopped almonds
1 (14oz.) package milk chocolate candy kisses
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, lemon extract and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add flour and almonds, beat at low speed until well blended.

Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before handling.
Shape scant tablespoon of dough around each candy kiss, covering completely. Roll in hands to form a ball.

Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes or until bottom edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute, remove from cookie sheet, cool completely.

Lightly sprinkle cooled cookies with powdered sugar. Melt chocolate chips in microwave zip lock bag. Cut small corner and drizzle chocolate over cookies.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

DH surprised me and all my guests by deciding to make a pan of baklava this morning as the dessert (I did have to comment - aren't cookies dessert?!). It was heavenly.

helene
12-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for sharing that Lemon Kiss Cookies Recipe.

I have to make 6 dozens for our Tuesday swap.

I may try this one.

dorothyntototoo
12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/dorothyntototoo/santacookie.jpg

I'm going to try making these using a homemade decorating icing & freeze them without the frosting. Then I can decorate them at the last minute.

Santa Cookies

1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp red paste food coloring*
60 miniature chocolate chips
1 tube purchased white decorator frosting

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Using a mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar; beat until well combined. Beat in milk and vanilla extract. Beat in flour. If you are not using a heavy duty mixer, it will be necessary to beat in the last of the flour by hand. Remove one cup of dough and set aside.
2. Beat food coloring into remaining dough to make a bright red tone.
3. Form the plain and red doughs into 12 balls each. With red dough, separate each ball into one 1-inch ball and five 1/2-inch balls. With plain dough, separate each of the balls into one 3/4-inch ball and four 1/4-inch balls.
4. Shape the Santas: Slightly flatten the 1-inch red ball on an ungreased cookie sheet. This is Santa's "body". Place plain 3/4-inch ball on top of red ball for head; flatten slightly. Attach the four red 1/2-inch balls for arms and legs. Attach the last red ball as a cap on top of Santa's head. Reshape cap slightly to form a triangle. Attach the four 1/4-inch plain balls for Santa's hands and feet. Lightly press the balls against each other so they hold together. Add miniature chocolate chips to face for eyes and nose, and buttons. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and leave cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to racks to cool.
5. Using star tip, squeeze the decorator frosting to form a mustache and beard on Santa's face. Also, form a ball at the tip of his cap and rim at the bottom of his hat.

Yield: 12

Cooking Tips:You may use traditional red liquid food coloring, but it will take a larger amount to achieve the same vibrant color.

Web page: wisdairy.com

RecipeGirl
12-03-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm going to try making these using a homemade sugar cookie dough & freeze them without the frosting. Then I can decorate them at the last minute.

Santa Cookies

1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp red paste food coloring*
60 miniature chocolate chips
1 tube purchased white decorator frosting

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Using a mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar; beat until well combined. Beat in milk and vanilla extract. Beat in flour. If you are not using a heavy duty mixer, it will be necessary to beat in the last of the flour by hand. Remove one cup of dough and set aside.
2. Beat food coloring into remaining dough to make a bright red tone.
3. Form the plain and red doughs into 12 balls each. With red dough, separate each ball into one 1-inch ball and five 1/2-inch balls. With plain dough, separate each of the balls into one 3/4-inch ball and four 1/4-inch balls.
4. Shape the Santas: Slightly flatten the 1-inch red ball on an ungreased cookie sheet. This is Santa's "body". Place plain 3/4-inch ball on top of red ball for head; flatten slightly. Attach the four red 1/2-inch balls for arms and legs. Attach the last red ball as a cap on top of Santa's head. Reshape cap slightly to form a triangle. Attach the four 1/4-inch plain balls for Santa's hands and feet. Lightly press the balls against each other so they hold together. Add miniature chocolate chips to face for eyes and nose, and buttons. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and leave cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to racks to cool.
5. Using star tip, squeeze the decorator frosting to form a mustache and beard on Santa's face. Also, form a ball at the tip of his cap and rim at the bottom of his hat.

Yield: 12

Cooking Tips:You may use traditional red liquid food coloring, but it will take a larger amount to achieve the same vibrant color.

Web page: wisdairy.com

These sure are cute!! You are quite brave to take them on. Looks like they'll require a bit of artistry talent :) I could never pull it off. Let us know if they turn out!

Natasha
12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Here's a recipe I just tried last night. I am not a big marshmallow fan, but the sound of these cookies just appealed to me. When I first tried one, I thought, "Hmm... good, but kind of like Amy-oes" (a recipe that I have made often, and that is posted on the boards as well). So I was a little disappointed at first because I was expecting something different. I still am finding them scarily addictive, though - they're growing on me fast :) I didn't cut holes in the top cookies, though I probably would if I were giving these as a food gift. Instead, I just sandwiched one equal wafer on another.

Hot Cocoa Linzer Cookies
Food & Drink, Holiday 2007 (publication of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario)

"What makes a cup of hot cocoa so scrumptious? The marshmallows, of course! These sandwich cookies use powdered hot chocolate mix in the dough to lend authentic hot cocoa flavour, but the marshmallow fluff filling is the real reason I love these cookies."

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup powdered hot chocolate mix
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp fine salt
3/4 cup marshmallow fluff

1. Beat butter until fluffy, then sift in icing sugar, hot chocolate mix, and cocoa powder, beating to combine well. Add vanilla and egg. Stir in flour and salt and combine. Shape dough into 2 discs; wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out circles using a 2 inch cookie cutter. Place on preapred baking trays 1/2 inch apart. Scraps of dough can be re-rolled. With a 3/4 inch cutter, cut out a hole in half of the cookies (keep these cookies all on 1 tray). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (cookies with the holes take 10 minutes; those without take 12 minutes). Let cool.

4. To assemble, spoon a teaspoonful of fluff onto base cookie and top with cutout cookie, pressing gently to adhere. Let cookies sit for 2 hours to dry before packing. Cookies will keep for up to a week in airtight container.

Makes about 3 dozen.

RecipeGirl
12-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I know I saw a reference to this recipe originally on the BB- who knows where! Anyway, these are worth making, especially if you love toffee chips.

Sparkling Butter Toffee Cookies (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Sparkling%20Butter%20Toffee%20Cookies.htm#top%20of %20page)

I used the special decorator Sparkling Sugar for the top of the cookies and it really added the desired 'sparkle.' I also studded a few toffee pieces on top of each ball of cookie to make sure the toffee pieces showed up in the baked cookie.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/DSCF2769.jpg

kathyhenn
12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
These cookies are the wow my cookie tray needed. These taste like Girl Scout thin mints but way better. The chocolate coating was a bit thick and maybe some oil or shortening would help.

Chocolate-Mint Wafers
Everyday Food
December 2007
Makes 44

1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
Sprinkles, for decorating (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined.
Form balls of dough (each equal to 1 teaspoon), and place on two baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Dip the bottom of a glass in water, and flatten balls into 1 1/2-inch rounds (about 1/4 inch thick). Bake until slightly firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make chocolate coating: Place chocolate, peppermint extract, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Set each cookie across the tines of a fork, dunk in chocolate, then tap underside of fork on side of the bowl to allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, and decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about 30 minutes, and keep chilled until ready to serve.

zackaboo
12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Get out a tall glass of milk! I made the Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps yesterday. YUMMM! Just a hint of ginger flavor amidst the milk chocolate. They were really good right out of the oven, and then firmed up a bit as they cooled.

Yum...these are so good! I intended to add to cookie platters for gift giving, but I might have to make another batch just for us. Thanks for the recipe. :)

heavy hedonist
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I know I saw a reference to this recipe originally on the BB- who knows where! Anyway, these are worth making, especially if you love toffee chips.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/DSCF2769.jpg

hey recipegirl, this looks great-- i have a question or five though-- i have wax paper and silpats-- never used yet!-- which one do you think would be a better sub for parchment? that's beyond my food budget right now.

and, do you think this batter would work in an fp, maybe with the dough hook? my hands don't work so well right now, so even though i would normally do a mixer recipe by hand anyway, if i can avoid even the mixer i will. i could use it, with some rests in between though, but-- if an fp might work in your cookie-making opinion, i may try that!

heavy hedonist
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
i just found out that the ladies of the vfamily do a cookie-bake and swap every year-- i've been in another state for 13 years, so haven't done it since it's inception.
YAAAAAAAH!!! now i have to find a bunch of cookie recipes i actually can stand to make-- and biscotti is the only cookie i like to make. i'll eat anything except a hello dolly, but as for making them, i stay away from it. gads.
thank heavens you are all here to steal recipes and tips from.

RecipeGirl
12-05-2007, 03:52 PM
hey recipegirl, this looks great-- i have a question or five though-- i have wax paper and silpats-- never used yet!-- which one do you think would be a better sub for parchment? that's beyond my food budget right now.

and, do you think this batter would work in an fp, maybe with the dough hook? my hands don't work so well right now, so even though i would normally do a mixer recipe by hand anyway, if i can avoid even the mixer i will. i could use it, with some rests in between though, but-- if an fp might work in your cookie-making opinion, i may try that!

I don't have any silpats but I've heard that they're a good sub for parchment. I also don't have any experience with mixing cookie dough in a fp, so someone else may have to answer that one. With this recipe you have to form the dough into little balls though so it may not be the best if you want to avoid working with your hands! I know I probably wasn't much help :( sorry!

zackaboo
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Reporting back on my cookie exchange this afternoon. By just looking, DH and DS thought the winner looked rather boring, but one taste changed their mind and these were clearly THE winner, hands down. The baker reported they are quite easy to make and was so cute (and very shocked) to be selected with having a prize recipe!!

Lemon Kiss Cookies

3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 3/4 cups flour

These sounds great. I have a question though. Are the milk chocolate candy kisses the kind that are sold in the baking aisle with chocolate chips?

RecipeGirl
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
These cookies are the wow my cookie tray needed. These taste like Girl Scout thin mints but way better. The chocolate coating was a bit thick and maybe some oil or shortening would help.

Chocolate-Mint Wafers
Everyday Food
December 2007
Makes 44

1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
Sprinkles, for decorating (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined.
Form balls of dough (each equal to 1 teaspoon), and place on two baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Dip the bottom of a glass in water, and flatten balls into 1 1/2-inch rounds (about 1/4 inch thick). Bake until slightly firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make chocolate coating: Place chocolate, peppermint extract, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Set each cookie across the tines of a fork, dunk in chocolate, then tap underside of fork on side of the bowl to allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, and decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about 30 minutes, and keep chilled until ready to serve.

I made these a couple of days ago, and I agree... WOW! You're right-on when you say that the choc. maybe needed a bit of shortening melted in. My chocolate was thick too. It was do-able but maybe just needed a slight bit of thinning. We stuck ours in the freezer and have sneaked a couple to munch on. They're so yummy right out of the freezer :D

Here's what mine looked like:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/DSCF2804-1.jpg

JLS
12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
heavy hedonist: I made those toffee cookies one year and didn't use the parchment or a silpat, just alum foil & baking spray.

steph456
12-05-2007, 06:45 PM
wow, interesting

kathyhenn
12-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Lori those look great!!

erin elizabeth
12-06-2007, 07:15 AM
I have a question about the Chocolate-Mint Wafer from EF. I really want to make them--they look so festive!--but do they really need to be refrigerated until the moment you serve them? I want to take them when I make a business trip to my home office for my annual review, but I'll be in a car (hatchback so all in one area) and a hotel for one night before going in to the office. Are they really unstable or just firmer when refrigerated? There is no food safety reason for refrigerating them, right? Thanks for any info :rolleyes:

kathyhenn
12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
erin elizabeth - as it turns out I just finished one that was left out of the fridge. It was not as crisp and the chocolate was obviously a bit softer than the ones kept cold but it still tasted yummy. So, I would say a lack of refrigeration is not a dealbreaker. :)

MaryH
12-06-2007, 08:17 AM

As between was paper and silpat, always use silpat. The wax paper can melt/burn (kind oif depends on the temp and how long it's in the oven).

FWIW, have a friend who had gone to Smart & Final and came back with a huge amount of parchment paper. These were commercial size sheets of paper, but if you fold them in half and tear, each sheet is the perfect size for a cookie sheet. I have no idea what she paid, but I am sure that per sheet it was cheaper than the boxes of parchment paper.

dorothyntototoo
12-06-2007, 08:39 AM

I'm going to try making these using a homemade decorating icing & freeze them without the frosting. Then I can decorate them at the last minute.

A friend made these & said they were cute but tasteless. I'll try them with a sugar cookie dough instead.

Pony
12-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I made one of the cookies on the cover of the lastest Gourmet magazine. Mine did not look as nice as the Gourmet image below, but they tasted great! They are a basic thumbprint cookie, but adhered together to make it look like a mini ornament. I liked using 3 different jams for the filling and they tasted buttery. mmmmmmm.... I did not get 3 1/2 dozen, maybe 2 dozen. I guess I'm heavy handed w/ the dough.

http://www.epicurious.com/images/recipesmenus/2007/2007_december/240930.jpg

Trios
Gourmet | December 2007

Thumbprint cookies are a holiday classic, and we've tripled their appeal by forming each cookie into a tiny trio that showcases three jewel-toned jams. Each one is like a miniature holiday ornament.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies

Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez and Lillian Chou

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
About 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
About 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
About 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves

Equipment: a 1/2-inch-thick wooden spoon handle or dowel

Make dough:
Whisk together flour and salt.

Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until very pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes, then beat in egg and vanilla. At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches just until a dough forms. Divide dough in half and form each piece into a 6-inch disk, then chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, about 1 hour.

Assemble and bake cookies:
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll 3 separate level teaspoons of dough each into a ball, then flatten each ball slightly (to 1 inch wide and less than 1/2 inch thick). Arrange them in a triangle on baking sheet with edges touching in center, then make a deep indentation in center of each round with wooden spoon handle. Make more cookies, arranging them 1 inch apart on baking sheets.

Fill indentations in each cookie with about 1/88 teaspoon jam (each cookie should have 3 different fillings), avoiding any large pieces of fruit.

Bake until cookies are baked through and golden-brown on edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

Bake more batches on cooled baking sheets lined with fresh parchment.

Cook's notes:
• Dough can be chilled up to 2 days.
• Cookies keep, layered between sheets of parchment, in an airtight container at room temperature 1 week.

kate4
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
ljt2R,
Do you mind posting your message for Mexican Wedding Cookies? Thanks!

cniles
12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
These sounds great. I have a question though. Are the milk chocolate candy kisses the kind that are sold in the baking aisle with chocolate chips?

Good question - because I was just assuming they were Hershey kisses... are they the tiny kisses or regular Hershey kisses?:)

cangoss
12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I tried this recipe last night and it made the cut for my holiday packages - I had been looking for a good ginger cookie for a while. I subbed butter for the margarine and was heavy-handed with the spices.

Big Soft Ginger Cookies (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Big-Soft-Ginger-Cookies/Detail.aspx)
from allrecipes.com

NGREDIENTS

* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup margarine, softened
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 2 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

veschke
12-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Finally trying to get in gear. I haven't made anything new yet this year, though. :( Maybe on Sunday.... Earlier this week I did some of my standby gingerbread people. Tonight I'm planning on the Triple Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies and Chocolate Candy Cane cookies (both BA) to bring to some friends tomorrow (though both will likely be sans garnish...). The latter are one of my husband's favorites. I'm going to double both of them so I'll have some to take in to work later in the week.

It already seems to be getting dark here. Hope that baking will lighten the atmosphere.

ljt2r
12-07-2007, 03:19 PM
ljt2R,
Do you mind posting your message for Mexican Wedding Cookies? Thanks!

Well this is embarrassing, but not only did I cross them from my list but I never got the recipe from my mom. Does anyone have Rose Levy Berenbaum's Christmas cookie cookbook?, because that is my mom's TNT recipe.... :o

I did, on a side note, make chocolate chip mandelbrot--I used the KA recipe--only I added espresso and used bittersweet chocolate chips and cappuccino chips and OMG they are SO SO good!

Alleycat
12-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I started baking yesterday. My mom and aunt came over, and we spent about 8 hours in the kitchen (and chasing a 19 month old).

We made the following (though I still have quite a few more cookies to make!):

Raspberry Strippers (CL)
Scandinavian Almond Bars (BHG Cookies)
Cranberry Drops (BHG Cookies 2001)
Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies (BHG Cookies 2006)
Mocha Truffle Cookies (CLBB and BHG Cookies) - these taste almost identical to the Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sparkle Sugar Cookies (Carole Walters' Great Cookies via CLBB)
Chocolate Toffee Puffs (CL)
Orange Sable Icebox Cookies (Martha Stewart Cookies 2001)

I hope to make more varieties this weekend; I shortlisted about 20 cookies to make this year :eek: I don't think I'll hit that number!

MaryH
12-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Well this is embarrassing, but not only did I cross them from my list but I never got the recipe from my mom. Does anyone have Rose Levy Berenbaum's Christmas cookie cookbook?, because that is my mom's TNT recipe.... :o

I did, on a side note, make chocolate chip mandelbrot--I used the KA recipe--only I added espresso and used bittersweet chocolate chips and cappuccino chips and OMG they are SO SO good!

This is the one I have used for years. (Came from the LA Times before Faulkner even opened Citizen Cake.)

CITIZEN CAKE'S MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES

If you don't want to bake these all at once, you can refrigerate a portion of the dough, well-wrapped, for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 2 months. Microwave the refrigerated or frozen dough for 20 seconds to make it easier to shape.

INGREDIENTS:
-- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
-- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted, + extra for rolling
-- 2 teaspoons vanilla
-- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
-- 3 cups flour
-- 3/4 teaspoon salt
-- 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped

-- 1/2 cup granulated sugar

INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together the butter and the powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and the water and continue to mix on low speed until well combined.

Combine the flour, the salt and the toasted pecans in a separate bowl. Add this to the butter-sugar mixture and continue to mix on low speed until dry and crumbly.

Shape the dough into walnut- sized balls. Roll the balls first in the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, then in the extra powdered sugar.

Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack and once cool, roll them once again in some powdered sugar. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

PER COOKIE: 81 calories, 1 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat (2 g saturated), 8 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 0 g fiber.

jnoel
12-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Good question - because I was just assuming they were Hershey kisses... are they the tiny kisses or regular Hershey kisses?:)

I made the Lemon Kiss cookies yesterday. YUM! I used regular old Hershey Kisses. Put my husband to work unwrapping them.

The dough did spread a little more than I expected. I thought they'd pretty much stay ball shaped, but I'm not the most precise measurer of ingredients, so that could be it. I think next time I'll stick them in the fridge for a bit once I've shaped them and put them on the cookie sheet before baking.

But they were delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

lindrusso
12-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Mmm...I have to take time to read through this thread thoroughly!

This is what I have already made and/or plan to make this weekend. I know I want to make more next weekend, but I haven't planned that far ahead....

Chewy Ginger Snaps (for a cookie exchange - from Ginger People)
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (for a library function - from Val)
Iced Hermits (Martha Stewart)
Chai Shortbread (from CL)
Chocolate Sandwiches (chocolate cookies with white chocolate filling - from MS)
Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies (from MS)

I'd like to make a few things to give away to people at work, but haven't decided if it will be cookies, a pumpkin bread or maybe peppermint bark.

We also have two band concerts coming up for the boys, so I'm sure I'll need to make something for those. And we have a potluck coming up at work - not sure if I'm making something sweet or something savory.

kate4
12-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks-I made the recipe for Mexican Wedding Cakes in Joy of Cooking and liked it!

Connor's mom
12-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Good question - because I was just assuming they were Hershey kisses... are they the tiny kisses or regular Hershey kisses?

Sorry, been busy and did not see the question. My friend used plain old regular Hershey kisses.

The dough did spread a little more than I expected. I thought they'd pretty much stay ball shaped, but I'm not the most precise measurer of ingredients, so that could be it. I think next time I'll stick them in the fridge for a bit once I've shaped them and put them on the cookie sheet before baking.

jnoel, fyi - the ones we had did not flatten at all and were definitely balls.

Glad you've liked the recipe. They are quite tasty, and my friend said easy to make.

RecipeGirl
12-09-2007, 08:34 AM
I tried this one last night, and it was sooooo good! Very unique in flavor, and I loved the different texture too (cornmeal in the dough).

Blackberry-Sage Thumbprints (http://www.recipegirl.com/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies/Desserts%20Bars%20&%20Cookies%20Recipes/Blackberry%20Sage%20Thumbprints.htm#top%20of%20pag e)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/recipegirl/blackberrysagethumbprints.jpg

veschke
12-10-2007, 04:58 AM
I looked at my list last night, and I'm doing a lot better than I thought I was going to this year! My list:

- Cutout cookies (Mrs. Fields)
- Gingerbread (BA)
- Peanut blossoms
- Triple chocolate cranberry oatmeal
- Chocolate peppermint sandwiches
- Cinnamon sugar butter cookies
- lemon-ginger biscotti

All T&Ts. Yesterday was "new cookie day" and I made those gingerbread chocolate chip ones (haven't had a chance to try one yet though :o) and the Martha Stewart chocolate crackles (OMG!).

There's still a couple of new things I'd like to try, I'm going to have to do a few more batches this week to give to people at work, but I'm quite proud of myself for getting this much done.

lindrusso
12-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Chewy Ginger Snaps (for a cookie exchange - from Ginger People)
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (for a library function - from Val)
Iced Hermits (Martha Stewart)
Chai Shortbread (from CL)
Chocolate Sandwiches (chocolate cookies with white chocolate filling - from MS)
Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies (from MS)

Adding to the list - Magic Bars/Seven Layer Bars (from Cooks Illustrated). I decided to make 2 pans of this old favorite for the band and for the library open house.

So far we've also made the Chewy Ginger Snaps, the Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies, the Iced Hermits, the Chai Shortbread and the Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies.

The Iced Hermits, the shortbread and the blondies were new recipes to us. The Iced Hermits are very good - a nice spiced bar cookie with a delicious brown sugar and butter icing. I'm not usually big on icing, but this icing is yummy.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2299/2098814727_d9dacaa563.jpg

The CL chai shortbread cookies I baked today and they are quite good, but you really can't properly evaluate shortbread until at least the next day.

The Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies are delicious, but they are really more of a cake, not a blondie/bar cookie.

I'll post more pictures later if I remember.....

HealthyinMN
12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
The Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies are delicious, but they are really more of a cake, not a blondie/bar cookie.

Are these the ones in the MS cookie mag from '05? I found them to be fairly dense and blondie -esque actually - here is what ours looked like. I think these are one of the first goodies I made from that issue. Were yours more fluffy or something?

http://bp0.blogger.com/_J-s7w5-Rv84/R138uvCzs_I/AAAAAAAADQI/fiUZHdNFSz4/s400/blondie+1.jpg

lindrusso
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Are these the ones in the MS cookie mag from '05? I found them to be fairly dense and blondie -esque actually - here is what ours looked like. I think these are one of the first goodies I made from that issue. Were yours more fluffy or something?

http://bp0.blogger.com/_J-s7w5-Rv84/R138uvCzs_I/AAAAAAAADQI/fiUZHdNFSz4/s400/blondie+1.jpg

Those are the ones! The blondies I've made in the past were much more like cookies baked in a pan - dense and somewhat chewy. For me, these were more like a dense pound cake - not fluffy exactly, but dense and moist - not as cookie-like as other blondies I've made.

Now, DS was in charge, so there is the chance that he didn't do something quite right. ;)

I was looking on the internet to see if these had already been typed up somewhere so that I could save some time on my blog tonight and of course my search pulled up your blog. :)

ETA - Yours do look more blondie like than mine..........

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2172/2102410946_bb19658546.jpg

Kathy B
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Alysha, Just thought I'd let you know that I hunted down the recipe for the Iced Hermits after I read your post and saw the picture. (Guess where I found it? ;) ) Thanks for posting it, here AND on your blog. Now I know what I am taking for our caroling party this weekend. We all bring cookies to make platters for the elderly people we carol to, and I am sure they will enjoy the old-fashioned raisin and spice bar. I will definitely have to do some taste-testing first, though, because I am a huge fan of spice cookies of all kinds!

lindrusso
12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I will definitely have to do some taste-testing first, though, because I am a huge fan of spice cookies of all kinds!

I think these cookies would be great for a caroling party and if you like spice cookies, you'll definitely like these - buttery and nicely spiced.

That's the great thing about making cookies - you can sample what you bake and taste test every time - unlike a cake or pie....... :)

SugarNSpice
12-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm putting together cookie boxes this year using the beautiful papers and wrappers I keep seeing in the stores. I'll be giving these away to about 15people, but not everyone will be getting the same cookie combinations. So here goes...critiques are welcome!

Nanaimo Bars
Buckeyes
Peppermint Patties
Spoon Cookies
Hungarian Pecan Cookies
Key Lime Coconut Snowballs
Cinnamon Fudge

There may be more to come with all the great recipes I'm finding.

Sheila in MD
12-12-2007, 05:47 AM
I tried this recipe off the Landolakes site and really liked it! It was VERY quick and made a ton! Not sure what size I cut my sticks-whatever looked good to me...I tend to not make stuff huge as I think people like to try a bit of this and a bit of that...

Sheila in MD

CRISP CINNAMON STIX

Kids can help with these buttery crisp bars by patting the dough into the pan and sprinkling them with sugar.

Preparation time: 15 min Baking time: 18 min
Yield: 50 cookies

1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Red and green decorator sugars

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine butter and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cinnamon. Beat just until mixture forms a dough. Pat dough into lightly greased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.

Beat egg white with fork in small bowl until frothy; brush over dough. Sprinkle with decorator sugars. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until set and lightly browned.

Immediately cut into 3x1-inch rectangles. Cool completely.

VARIATION: Cinnamon-Sugar Stix: Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon in small bowl. Prepare cookie dough as directed above except sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture instead of decorator sugars. Bake as directed above.

Recipe Tip
To give as a gift, place several stix in a large colorful mug and give with a package of cocoa.

Nutrition Facts (1 cookie): Calories: 70, Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 30mg, Carbohydrates: 7g, Dietary Fiber: 0g, Protein: <1g

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RecipeGirl
12-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm putting together cookie boxes this year using the beautiful papers and wrappers I keep seeing in the stores. I'll be giving these away to about 15people, but not everyone will be getting the same cookie combinations. So here goes...critiques are welcome!

Nanaimo Bars
Buckeyes
Peppermint Patties
Spoon Cookies
Hungarian Pecan Cookies
Key Lime Coconut Snowballs
Cinnamon Fudge

There may be more to come with all the great recipes I'm finding.

Do you have a good recipe for Cinnamon Fudge? I'm in my candy-making phase right now, and I love cinnamon :)

HealthyinMN
12-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Do you have a good recipe for Cinnamon Fudge? I'm in my candy-making phase right now, and I love cinnamon :)

Here's the one I make - it is crazy good and I've made so many batches of this over the past 3 years. I've done at least 6 batches this year as people keep requesting it!

Cinnamon Fudge

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5983/1265/400/Fudge1.0.jpg

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
10 ounces cinnamon chips
7 ounces marshmallow creme
2 teaspoons vanilla

Line a 9X13" pan with foil then coat with cooking spray.

In a heavy bottom 3 quart sauce pan, combine sugar, butter, and milk. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Boil for 5 minutes, stirring all the time - if using a candy thermometer you are looking for at least 234 degrees. Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon chips until melted. Add marshmallow creme and vanilla then beat until blended.

Carefully pour mixture into the prepared dish. Let cool to room temperature then gently lift out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Cut into squares.

RecipeGirl
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Perfect, perfect timing Joe!! I'm making some batches of fudge today and this is just what I needed. I have a bag of those cinnamon chips too and I've been wanting to use them. THANKS a bunch!!

cniles
12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
OMG Joe that looks fantastic! I too have a bag of cinnamon chips just waiting to be used! I will be making this soon.

Also RecipeGirl - I made your Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps - excellent!! I brought them into school to share with fellow teachers and handed out the recipe (with your website on it!) They all loved it. Thank you - I just added this one to my cookie list!:)

baking girl
12-12-2007, 10:06 PM

Lemon Kiss Cookies

3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 3/4 cups flour

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, lemon extract and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add flour and almonds, beat at low speed until well blended.

Shape scant tablespoon of dough around each candy kiss, covering completely. Roll in hands to form a ball.

Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes or until bottom edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute, remove from cookie sheet, cool completely.

Lightly sprinkle cooled cookies with powdered sugar. Melt chocolate chips in microwave zip lock bag. Cut small corner and drizzle chocolate over cookies.

DH surprised me and all my guests by deciding to make a pan of baklava this morning as the dessert (I did have to comment - aren't cookies dessert?!). It was heavenly.

What is milk chocolate candy kisses? Could not find anything with that name in the baking isle this afternoon :(

Robyn1007
12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
What is milk chocolate candy kisses? Could not find anything with that name in the baking isle this afternoon :(

Hershey's Kisses.

valchemist
12-13-2007, 06:25 AM
I am having a slow baking season...

made so far:
natasha's nutmeg logs
auntie syl's chocolate sandies (recent penzey's catalog)
browned butter and white chocolate oatmeal cranberry cookies
planned:
chocolate crackles (doing these today)
sugar cookie cutouts (doing these today)
pepperminit meltaways

veschke
12-13-2007, 06:36 AM
I think I'm just about done. I am very pleased with myself, though, since I made *three* new recipes this year (most years I just do the old standbys). Yesterday I ended up making CL's Cream Cheese Meltaways with Lemon Glaze to add some lighter-colored cookies to my plate for work. They don't look very good - I was concerned about over-handling them and probably erred on the side of caution - but they taste nice.

Of course, there's a blizzard on the way, so who knows if anyone is going to be in the office to eat all of my goodies this afternoon. :( But I did try!

TerriAb
12-13-2007, 06:37 AM
That cinnamon fudge looks great! Does anyone have any T&T regular fudge recipes? I'm looking for a good chocolate fudge with no nuts. TIA!

clairea
12-13-2007, 06:47 AM
I've been really slow getting started with baking this year, but I tried a new recipe yesterday that was a huge hit with everyone at the meeting I took it to. This is definitely going to become a holiday regular at my house.

Cranberry-Caramel Bars

1 cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups uncooked regular oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (10-ounce) package chopped dates
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 (12-ounce) jar caramel sauce

Stir together cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
Combine 2 cups flour and next 4 ingredients; stir in melted butter until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup flour mixture. Press remaining mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with dates, pecans, and cranberry mixture. Stir together caramel sauce and remaining 1/3 cup flour; spoon over cranberries. Sprinkle with reserved 1 cup flour mixture. Bake 20 more minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

Yield: Makes 2 dozen

Southern Living, NOVEMBER 1998

My notes: I left out the dates. I toasted the pecans. I would use more cranberries next time. There weren't quite enough to get cranberry in every bite!

RecipeGirl
12-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Also RecipeGirl - I made your Milk Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps - excellent!! I brought them into school to share with fellow teachers and handed out the recipe (with your website on it!) They all loved it. Thank you - I just added this one to my cookie list!:)

Thanks! I was a teacher for 12 years before I dove into cooking and websiting :) I wouldn't call the Gingersnap recipe *mine* as I found it in a magazine. Wish I could whip up all of the ideas myself! Maybe someday I'll have time to experiment more...

dorothyntototoo
12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
That cinnamon fudge looks great! Does anyone have any T&T regular fudge recipes? I'm looking for a good chocolate fudge with no nuts. TIA!

This is the recipe I've been making for 30 yrs.

Fudge

4 cups sugar
1 tall can evaporated milk (like Carnation)
1 stick margarine or butter
2 bags (12 oz. ea.) semi-sweet chocolate chips chips (*or can substitute one bag milk chocolate chips)
1 pint of marshmallow crème
1 Tbs vanilla
1 cup nuts, optional

1. Cook sugar, milk & margarine to soft ball stage, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate & stir until melted. Add marshmallow creme & vanilla. Stir well. Add nuts, if desired.
2. Pour into buttered 9" x 13" pan, or 9" x 9" pan for thicker fudge. Chill, covered, until set.

TerriAb
12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Dorothy! I'll try it.

cniles
12-13-2007, 12:05 PM
This is my mom's T&T fudge: Really easy!!

2/3 cup evaporated milk (1 small can Carnation)
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 1/2 cups choc chips
1 tsp vanilla

Heat milk, sugar and salt in saucepan until boiling and cook for 5 mins, stirring constantly. Add marshmallows, choc chips and vanilla. Still until marshmallows melt. Pour into 8x8 pan (coated with Pam).

cniles
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Cardamom-Almond Cookies

4 ½ dozen small cookies
350 degrees for 20 mins

¾ tsp almond extract
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp salt

Thanks Laura!! These are delicious!! My mom and sister will love them. We're huge cardamon fans - I think I might even add some more in the dough - up it to 1 tsp. The dominant flavor is almond - love the flakiness of the cookie. Should be great with tea!!

I also made the Lemon Kiss cookies (with the Hershey kiss!) Yummy!! The dough was very similar to the Cardamon-Almond cookies but lemony:) Thanks to Connorsmom for posting!!:)

Alleycat
12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
For you fudge makers, my first attempt at fudge was Southern Living's Pumpkin Fudge. It tasted delicious, and was great spooned over ice cream since it NEVER hardened!

I used a candy thermometer and waited until it registered 234. So what did I do wrong?!?

----------------------

I've been baking Martha Stewart's Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread today. YUM! This is a new recipe for me. I doubled it, and made them smaller than called for. So I have about 90 cookies instead of 48.

Snickerdoodle dough is in the fridge.

I also have dough chilling for Gale Gand's Poinsettia Cookies. Not sure if it will work. I tried to roll it out a couple days ago, with no success. Our oven is rightnexttoourrefrigerator, and the oven was running all day that day. So, I'll try it again tomorrow. If it won't roll out, I guess I'll just make thumbprints with it.

buffygirl
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
So far I've made:

Magpie's mom's Peanut Butter Bars (these were delicious)
Cutout cookies, used a recipe that someone here on the BB got from a cooking class a year or so ago, can't remember who, but these were great
Texas Ranger Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Wafers from this thread
Nuts on a Hot Tin Roof (Stop and Smell the Rosemary)
Amaretto Pecans

The favorite here at my office were the pecans and teh peanut butter cookies. DH's office just loved the Texas Ranger Cookies.

Kim

zackaboo
12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Today I made these cookies from the Better Homes and Garden website. They are so yummy and make a really pretty addition to a cookie tray. The recipe says it makes 60 cookies but I didn't get nearly that many...maybe 35 or so.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1491/9352944/17111115/292972194.jpg

* Exported from MasterCook *

White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup maraschino cherries -- drained and finely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter
12 ounces white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 drops red food coloring (optional)
2 teaspoons shortening
White nonpareils and/or red edible glitter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.

In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.

Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 60.

To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Source:
"Better Homes and Gardens"

jenniferW
12-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Zackaboo,

Those are beautiful. Thanks so much for posting!

mommadukes
12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Zackaboo, those cookies are so pretty! I love the colors! Thanks for sharing that recipe.

jessicacoy
12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Drat! I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I have a whole HUGE jar of marachino cherries in the fridge and now I have added another cookie to my holiday baking list. Cursed thread!

Lys
12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
this thread has been great! I have tried the mint wafers and they were a big hit.... definitely a repeater... I want to try to make some things to freeze over the next few days - any input on freezing the following (either the dough or the finished products??):

Sparkling Butter Toffee Cookies
Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies
Iced Hermits

any input would be helpful.... thanks and happy baking to all!

valchemist
12-13-2007, 06:36 PM
this thread has been great! I have tried the mint wafers and they were a big hit.... definitely a repeater... I want to try to make some things to freeze over the next few days - any input on freezing the following (either the dough or the finished products??):

Sparkling Butter Toffee Cookies
Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies
Iced Hermits

any input would be helpful.... thanks and happy baking to all!

shouldn't be a problem to freeze any of those (final product).

lindrusso
12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
shouldn't be a problem to freeze any of those (final product).

I agree. I have the Iced Hermits and the Blondies in the freezer now to bring to my mom's at Christmas, but we haven't actually tried them yet. I expect them to do quite nicely, though. :)

misskitty100
12-13-2007, 11:48 PM
What a great thread!!

So far I have made:

Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Lebkuchen
Rice Krispy/Chocolate/Butterscotch/PB Bars (not sure of their real name)
Chocolate Peppermint Crunch
Pecan Puffs
Gingerbread men

I still need to make sugar cookies and maybe one or two other recipes (the cherry cookies above look really good).

Julia1Pin
12-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I've been really slow getting started with baking this year, but I tried a new recipe yesterday that was a huge hit with everyone at the meeting I took it to. This is definitely going to become a holiday regular at my house.

Cranberry-Caramel Bars

1 cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups uncooked regular oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (10-ounce) package chopped dates
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 (12-ounce) jar caramel sauce

Stir together cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
Combine 2 cups flour and next 4 ingredients; stir in melted butter until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup flour mixture. Press remaining mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with dates, pecans, and cranberry mixture. Stir together caramel sauce and remaining 1/3 cup flour; spoon over cranberries. Sprinkle with reserved 1 cup flour mixture. Bake 20 more minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

Yield: Makes 2 dozen

Southern Living, NOVEMBER 1998

My notes: I left out the dates. I toasted the pecans. I would use more cranberries next time. There weren't quite enough to get cranberry in every bite!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I made these last night - WOW!!!! I also left out the dates and used toasted pecans.. And I made my own caramel sauce.

One question - how do you make the squares come out easily? The bars ended up being really delicate and moist (which is a good thing flavor wise) but some broke when trying to take them out of the pan.

clairea
12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I made these last night - WOW!!!! I also left out the dates and used toasted pecans.. And I made my own caramel sauce.

One question - how do you make the squares come out easily? The bars ended up being really delicate and moist (which is a good thing flavor wise) but some broke when trying to take them out of the pan.

I'm glad you liked them. It was one of those things I pulled off the website and made on a whim because I needed something "not chocolate", and was very pleasantly surprised by how good they were and by how much everyone enjoyed them.

I'm not sure about getting them out of the pan. I sprayed my pan well before using it (I use the Pure canola oil spray, not Pam), cut a narrow strip from the edge, and then didn't have any trouble getting them out. If I have things that I know will be hard to get out, I sometimes line the pan with foil, and then you can lift the whole thing out of the pan and cut it. Maybe that would work better?

Kathy B
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Back to report the Iced Hermits were a big hit at the party tonight. Several people were asking me about them and wanted to know what was in them. One woman told me "I can really feel the heat!" I REALLY liked them, too, as I thought I would.....chewy and very spicy! This recipe is going right into my permanent file.

I have never made anything with candied ginger before. I only used the 1/2 c in the batter and skipped sprinkling it on top. Good thing I didn't look at the price when I put it in my shopping cart.....when I checked the receipt later, it was $7.98! for a small jar that didn't even have 1 c. in it. I am going to HAVE to find a better source!

Anyway, a definite winner! Thanks so much, Alysha, for bringing it to our attention!

veschke
12-15-2007, 03:13 AM
I am going to HAVE to find a better source!

Try Penzeys. :) I think that was the first thing I bought there! Though I also found much cheaper ginger in the Asian section of the store, not with the spices in the baking aisle, at least one place I've shopped.

lindrusso
12-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Back to report the Iced Hermits were a big hit at the party tonight. Several people were asking me about them and wanted to know what was in them. One woman told me "I can really feel the heat!" I REALLY liked them, too, as I thought I would.....chewy and very spicy! This recipe is going right into my permanent file.

I have never made anything with candied ginger before. I only used the 1/2 c in the batter and skipped sprinkling it on top. Good thing I didn't look at the price when I put it in my shopping cart.....when I checked the receipt later, it was $7.98! for a small jar that didn't even have 1 c. in it. I am going to HAVE to find a better source!

Anyway, a definite winner! Thanks so much, Alysha, for bringing it to our attention!

Glad you enjoyed them. :)

In addition to Penzeys, you can also try King Arthur - they have several different kinds - diced, mini-diced, etc. It's cheaper at King Arthur too ($10.95 vs. $17), but when you'd have to figure out the shipping to see which one is the best deal. There is also The Ginger People (http://gingerpeople.com/) - they are the ones who gave us the Chewy Ginger Snaps recipe that we love so much.

RecipeGirl
12-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Lemon Kiss Cookies

3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 3/4 cups flour

I made these... very good! An almond-filled, lemon flavored cookie with a chocolate surprise inside (and a little drizzled on top). I was a little disappointed that they didn't stay round like snowballs do... they flattened a bit on the bottom. Did anyone else make these? Did this happen to yours too?

RecipeGirl
12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Today I made these cookies from the Better Homes and Garden website. They are so yummy and make a really pretty addition to a cookie tray. The recipe says it makes 60 cookies but I didn't get nearly that many...maybe 35 or so.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1491/9352944/17111115/292972194.jpg

White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread

Recipe By :
Categories : Cookies

1/2 cup maraschino cherries -- drained and finely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter
12 ounces white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 drops red food coloring (optional)
2 teaspoons shortening
White nonpareils and/or red edible glitter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.

In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.

Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 60.

To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Source:
"Better Homes and Gardens"

I made these too, and I second the recommendation. They're different, yummy and definitely a pretty addition to cookie platters!

zackaboo
12-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I made these... very good! An almond-filled, lemon flavored cookie with a chocolate surprise inside (and a little drizzled on top). I was a little disappointed that they didn't stay round like snowballs do... they flattened a bit on the bottom. Did anyone else make these? Did this happen to yours too?

I made these and had the exact same problem. I even tried baking after refrigerating the dough (already rolled) overnight. I guess they just have too much butter not to spread.

zackaboo
12-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I made these too, and I second the recommendation. They're different, yummy and definitely a pretty addition to cookie platters!

Glad you liked these. I think they were my prettiest cookies this year. :)

dorothyntototoo
12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Back to report the Iced Hermits were a big hit at the party tonight. ...
Good thing I didn't look at the price when I put it in my shopping cart.....when I checked the receipt later, it was $7.98! for a small jar that didn't even have 1 c. in it. I am going to HAVE to find a better source!

Whole Foods has candied ginger in their bulk spices & it is much cheaper than buying it in jars.

Lys
12-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I made the Iced Hermits last night and love them - the pepper does give them just a little heat and it's great!!!

RE: Candied Ginger - I have seen the Ginger People Candied Ginger Chips at marshalls and home goods - typically only about $3....

RebelYell18
12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Trader Joes also has bags of candied ginger cheap...organic too! :)

Kathy B
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
We don't have a TJ's, but apparently we do have a Whole Foods, Marshall's and Home Goods in the metro area. I have never shopped at any of them, but now I guess I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tips!

susan_foster
12-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm coming late to the party. I had been dithering about doing cookies - so many recipes I want to make, but I'm awkward about giving my baked goods to others. Happily, I spoke to my mom yesterday, and she requested I make cookies - so yay!

My tentative list:
Gingerbread Little Cakes - CL 12/00
Sugar Cookies - Alton Brown
World Peace Cookies - Baking: From My Home to Yours

I want to frost the sugar cookies, but don't want to use Alton Brown's Royal Icing. I'll probably use the Easy Creamy Icing from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. Now that is one book I was thrilled to see re-issued. That book reminds me so much of my childhood. And they kept the bad 60's/70's pictures!

And for non-cookie:
Sugared Cranberries - CL 12/03
Easy Cinnamon Bread - King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

Susan

gobluem82
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
I'd like to make the cinnamon fudge recipe that Joe had posted earlier in this thread. I've made chocolate fudge before with a similar ingredient list, but those all used an 8 X 8 inch pan. For Joe or anyone else that has made this fudge: How thick does it end up when poured in a 9 X 13 inch pan?

RecipeGirl
12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I'd like to make the cinnamon fudge recipe that Joe had posted earlier in this thread. I've made chocolate fudge before with a similar ingredient list, but those all used an 8 X 8 inch pan. For Joe or anyone else that has made this fudge: How thick does it end up when poured in a 9 X 13 inch pan?

I just measured mine for you and it's exactly 3/4 of an inch thick.

HealthyinMN
12-17-2007, 08:59 PM
For Joe or anyone else that has made this fudge: How thick does it end up when poured in a 9 X 13 inch pan?

I just went and checked - they are roughly 3/4" thick... a little thinner than other fudges, but we actually like it better this way.

We're done with our baking spree this year... this was our biggest ever with 17 different treats being sent out! Whew!

As far as cookies go, we did try out a couple new ones - the Candy Cane Biscotti were good - I liked the speckled of the canes scattered throughout the biscotti. The candies do melt out of the dough a little, so it is best baked on parchment or a silpat.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_J-s7w5-Rv84/R2baSQD6v9I/AAAAAAAADVg/XpXHtRzIiNg/s400/2007CandyCaneBisc-7.jpg

We did the Gingerbread People from Nick Malgieri too - I loved this dough as it was quite easy to work with. We were able to re-roll it a couple times without it getting tough. I did roll it between parchment paper so we wouldn't have to add extra flour. The cookies are firm/crisp, but not dry or crumbly - just right to hold up for shipping! Instead of decorating them all (it made a ton!), we sent individual baggies of royal icing that I made - this way the people receiving them could decorate themselves if they wanted to. Jeff wanted to have a little fun with the cookies we kept, so before baking we used a scalloped cutter to remove some body parts (ala the gingerbread guy from Shrek)... hee hee!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_J-s7w5-Rv84/R2baTQD6wBI/AAAAAAAADWA/9Jnmk8Fh5S0/s400/2007GingerbreadMen-3.jpg

It took forever to get all the stuff photographed, packaged and then up on the blog! Thankfully, the post office was void of people today and we were able to get all the boxes sent out quickly! We have all the recipes posted on the site if anyone needs any ideas for more goodies to make!

RecipeGirl
12-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Love the picture of the Gingerbread men Joe!

lindrusso
12-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I already commented on your blog, but I loved the macabre gingerbread men too, Joe. I showed them to my DS who said the headless one needs a little red icing. ;) Maybe a little TOO macabre......... :)

misskitty100
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
It took forever to get all the stuff photographed, packaged and then up on the blog! We have all the recipes posted on the site if anyone needs any ideas for more goodies to make!

Oh!! I have been waiting for this!! I just sat down and can't wait to look over everything you made! How fun!!

SheRa
12-17-2007, 10:14 PM
https://edgecastcdn.net/800034/www.perpetualkid.com/productimages/lg/ABCC-1288.jpg

i got these cookie cutters for some friends last year as christmas gifts and they were a HUGE hit! they're called ABC Cookie Cutters (Already Been Chewed!) (http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1402)

RecipeGirl
12-17-2007, 10:28 PM
https://edgecastcdn.net/800034/www.perpetualkid.com/productimages/lg/ABCC-1288.jpg

i got these cookie cutters for some friends last year as christmas gifts and they were a HUGE hit! they're called ABC Cookie Cutters (Already Been Chewed!) (http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1402)

Darling! Great gift idea!! Where did you find them?

ETA: Duh- just figured out that the link is there... thanks!

lalamprecht
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm making Pecan Pie Bars. Very simple to make, yet, they taste incredible. Just use a box of brownie mix as the base and then cover with crushed pecans and brown sugar, ect. [Just cover with the items for the filling of a pecan pie]

Of course, I'm also doing the cut out cookies with royal icing. Its such a classic! :)

potato_moose
12-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm posting way late to this thread, but I didn't want to commit to more than I was going to be able to make. And with good reason apparently, two of the cookies on my original list wound up never being made. This is what I actually made:

New to us:

Minty Chocolate Crinkles from The Oregonian's Food Day, adapted from the Betty Crocker Cooky Book--will make again, next time I will over measure the flour a bit and under measure the oil so they stand up a bit better. (They spread too much) These were DH's favorite of the year.

Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies and Ornamental Icing from Good Housekeeping December 2006--wasn't too sure about these at first, but DH convinced me they were good so I went ahead and iced them. They are different from typical sugar cookies (more flavor, less tender) but very good. They were my mother's favorite of the year.

Tried and True:

Lemon Snowballs--epicurious. These were DMIL's favorite of the year.

Also tried freezing for the first time. I froze a fully baked apple pie, fully baked cookies and one batch of raw dough. I would do it all again. Especially freezing the pie freed up some time for us on Christmas Eve.

Joanie B
12-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Another latercomer to this thread, but what great ideas for next year, aka January!:p

PotatoMoose, if it's not too much trouble to post the GH WW sugar cookies when you get a chance, I'd love to make them and compare to the one's in the KA Wholegrain cookbook, please! I wasn't too impressed with the KA one, even using white WW flour, they didn't have much taste and were dry. (Thanks in advance!)

I was too wrapped up with batches and batches of candied nuts this year to focus too much on cookies, but here's what happened:

Chocolate-Mint cookies (posted by Kathyhenn on this thread)--the mint lovers adored these, non-minters avoided. Easy and sooo good! Wish I'd had time to make more! Thanks for this one!

KA's 1-2-3-4 Flourless PB cookies--about 5 batches using Smuckers chunky natural pb. Inhaled by everyone! Only "booboo" batch happened with Smuckers creamy pb, they flattened out instead of staying in balls, but no one was the wiser and gobbled them down.

EW's Bev's Chocolate chip cookies--finally got around to these after all these years, very good crisp cookie. I thought they were a bit sweet (only 2/3 c. sugar), but there were only sweet crumbs left on the platter!

Pecan Bars (Cook's Ill. 2006 Holiday baking)--I was awarded rock star status with these babies last year, and they had folks swooning all over again this year! Like mini pecan pies on pecan shortbread. I don't even like pecan pie (my native Southern status bedarned), and I can't keep these in the house w/o nibbling!

KA's Wholegrain cookbook WW Sugar/cutout Cookies--the one disappointment. Little taste, kinda dry, and my toes spread together! (I use foot cutters to make Tar Heel cutouts)

potato_moose
12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
PotatoMoose, if it's not too much trouble to post the GH WW sugar cookies when you get a chance, I'd love to make them and compare to the one's in the KA Wholegrain cookbook, please! I wasn't too impressed with the KA one, even using white WW flour, they didn't have much taste and were dry. (Thanks in advance!)

No problem! These use half whole wheat half white. The recipe calls for "White Whole Wheat" flour, but I just used regular whole wheat for that part.

Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
From Good Housekeeping Dec 2006

INGREDIENTS

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup trans fat-free vegetable oil spread (60% to 70% oil)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
1. On sheet of waxed paper, stir together flours, baking powder, and salt.
2. In large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat sugar and vegetable oil spread until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and creamy, about 3 minutes, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg and vanilla, then beat in flour mixture just until blended.
3. Divide dough in half; flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to roll.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 piece of dough 1/8 inch thick. With 2-inch cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings. With lightly floured spatula, place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
5. Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. With thin metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
Serving size = 1 cookie

Yield Makes about 6 dozen cookies

Ornamental Frosting
From Good Housekeeping Dec 2006
Use this basic Ornamental Frosting to decorate our holiday Sugar Cookies.
INGREDIENTS

1 package(s) (16-ounce) confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoon(s) meringue powder, (see note below)
1/3 C warm water
Assorted food colorings (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. In bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar, meringue powder, and 1/3 cup warm water until blended and mixture is so stiff that knife drawn through it leaves a clean-cut path, about 5 minutes.
2. If you like, tint frosting with food colorings as desired; keep covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out. With small spatula, artist's paintbrushes, or decorating bags with small writing tips, decorate cookies with frosting. (You may need to thin frosting with a little warm water to obtain the right spreading or piping consistency.)
One serving = 1 tablespoon
TIPS & TECHNIQUES
Note: Meringue powder is available in specialty stores wherever cake decorating equipment is sold. Or, contact Wilton Industries, 800-794-5866.

Yield 3 cups

Joanie B
12-27-2007, 08:03 AM
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! for posting the recipe, PotatoMoose! I need some more cookies for this weekend, I want to give this one a shot.

Linda in MO
12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
I only made two kinds of cookies this year. Both new recipes...

Coconut Cranberry Chews--(Sunset, also posted by KValley) these were delicious. I only made a half batch since the full batch makes 6 doz. Some people reported problems w/these like not spreading at all and staying in a ball shape and then one person said they spread all over the cookie sheet. I formed them into balls and then pressed them down on the cookie sheet w/the palm of my hand and they came out perfectly. Also, I've seen people mention that the dough was dry but I left my butter out all morning to soften and my dough came together easily. Anyway, a great cookie but my only complaints would be that they were very sweet and I thought they dried out after 2 or 3 days. Still good but not really good "keepers". My 7 yr. old loved these.
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=67199&highlight=coconut-cranberry+chews

Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Shortbread--(King Arthur Cookie Companion) these were also delicious. It's a typical shortbread dough that you put in cake pans covered in cinnamon sugar, then topped w/more cinnamon sugar. And after they come out you cut them in wedges and then drizzle w/melted caramels. I used a generous amount of cinnamon in my cinnamon sugar (a good 2 tsp. in 1/4 cup or so of superfine sugar). My oldest son liked them w/o the caramel, so it's still a good cookie w/o the caramel. My 7 yr. old also loved these but he has a big sweet tooth. My only complaint with these is that it calls for 1 tsp. salt and you can taste it, which went OK w/the caramel, but I will reduce the amount next time.

RecipeGirl
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I only made two kinds of cookies this year. Both new recipes...

Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Shortbread--(King Arthur Cookie Companion) these were also delicious. It's a typical shortbread dough that you put in cake pans covered in cinnamon sugar, then topped w/more cinnamon sugar. And after they come out you cut them in wedges and then drizzle w/melted caramels. I used a generous amount of cinnamon in my cinnamon sugar (a good 2 tsp. in 1/4 cup or so of superfine sugar). My oldest son liked them w/o the caramel, so it's still a good cookie w/o the caramel. My 7 yr. old also loved these but he has a big sweet tooth. My only complaint with these is that it calls for 1 tsp. salt and you can taste it, which went OK w/the caramel, but I will reduce the amount next time.

This sounds amazing!! I just ordered the KA Cookie C. from The Good Cook (finally) so I look forward to checking out this recipe. I'm a shortbread fan AND a cinnamon fan :) Oh, and I love caramel too. This one could be for me :D

susan_foster
12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
I ended up making four kinds of cookies, three of which were new.

Mocha Truffle Cookies - Finally got to these! For me, they were the favorites out of the bunch. Would love to make again - but might lighten up slightly on the espresso. Loved, loved, loved the texture of these.
Gingerbread Little Cakes (CL 12/00 (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222782)) - My second favorite recipe, and it was a close one. These were sneaky for me - they tasted okay at first, but lasted extremely well, and by the 5th day were wonderful to me! Nicely gingered, although not overly, and I liked the little pieces of crystallized ginger.
Sugar Cookies (Alton Brown (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25187,00.html)) - Good, but nothing spectacular. Didn't frost them, but they didn't suffer for it. They were lightly sweet, but I could see them working with a frosting too.

And of course, Christmas would not be complete without Peanut Butter Blossoms (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1630,158162-232198,00.html).

Susan

Chocolate Rose
12-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Shortbread--(King Arthur Cookie Companion) these were also delicious.

Any chance you have time to post this recipe? They sound great!
TIA

lola777
12-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Here's what I made, all fairly simple but with great success! I tweaked all the new recipes a bit & everything turned out great. My absolute fave was the Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars & they freeze well, too! (Already defrosted & consumed a few.)

Old Favorites:

Pecan Frosties
Cheese Rounds
Chocolate Orange Balls
Bourbon Balls
Walnut Brownies

New:

Gingersnaps (Alice Waters)
Coconut Macaroons (Alton Brown)
Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars (JB Stanley)
Almond Biscotti (King Arthur mix)

Linda in MO
12-30-2007, 08:43 PM
TIA
Well, I'm sad to say I just typed this recipe in and accidentally hit a wrong button and it disappeared! Aaarrrggghh! I will type it again later.

Linda in MO
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM
TIA
Let's try this one more time...

Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Shortbread

Recipe By :King Arthur Cookie Companion
Categories : Cookies/Brownies

1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
Dough:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt (reduce next time to 1/4 or 1/2 tsp.)
3/4 cup sugar (5 1/4 oz.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour (10 oz.)
Topping:
5 oz. caramels (14 to 16 caramels)
1 Tbs. cream or milk

Preheat oven to 300 deg. Lightly grease two 9 inch round cake pans. Sprinkle bottoms of pan w/about 1 Tbs. cinnamon sugar for each pan.

To make dough, cream butter, salt, sugar and vanilla. Then beat in flour. Divide dough in half, and press into pans, smoothing surface w/fingers. Sprinkle w/remaining cinnamon sugar. ***** tops w/fork. (I did this in a pattern that made 12 wedges per pan)

Bake 35-40 minutes, until golden around edges (which is hard to tell w/this recipe since the shortbread is already light brown from the cinnamon). Remove from oven and loosen edges around pan w/knife. Wait 5 minutes, then carefully turn the shortbread out onto clean work surface in one piece. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut each round into 12 wedges. (make sure you do this while it's warm) Transfer wedges to rack to cool.

To make topping, heat caramels and milk in microwave or in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the caramels melt and the mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cooled shortbread wedges. Allow to set before storing.

24 wedges

ctr264
12-31-2007, 08:18 PM
My absolute fave was the Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars & they freeze well, too! (Already defrosted & consumed a few.)

Could you please post this recipe. Thanks.

Chocolate Rose
01-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Let's try this one more time...

Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Shortbread

Linda, thanks so much for posting the recipe...especially since it didn't work the first time!!
I'm looking forward to trying these!