PDA

View Full Version : What fish has fewest bones?

Marcie
08-01-2000, 11:47 PM
We'd like to eat more fish than we do, but an errant bone is a huge turn-off to me. Plus, I'd like to serve fish to my toddler without worrying he'll get a bone in his serving. What kinds of fish, or cuts of fish, do you consider "safest"?

Kristilyn1
08-02-2000, 07:58 AM
Well, I don't think I've ever found a fish in the cuts I buy--but that may be more luck. I thought (don't quote me here) that haddock had "soft" bones, so even if you found one, it wouldn't neccessarily be a problem. We eat haddock, cod, tuna and swordfish. My husband would love it if we ate salmon--but I just don't care for it.

Now that I think about it, I have found bones in halibut--but we don't eat that very often.

Kristi

Danielle
08-02-2000, 09:22 AM
We've had good luck with orange roughy and haddock.

Vanessa
08-02-2000, 10:22 AM
Marcie
If you purchase fillet cuts most likely you won't find bones. Because a child will be eating it its always a good idea to supervise him when he is eating it. Now some children might be turn off by fish that is "too fishy tasting" I would start with mild tasting fish.
Cod, flounder, haddock, halibut, mahimahi, orange roughy are mild in flavor
Since your husband likes salmon (I love it) you could make 2 different fish one for him one for you and your child. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Vanessa (edited 08-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Vanessa (edited 08-02-2000).]

Anne
08-02-2000, 04:33 PM
Hi Macie. Size of the fish can be a factor in easily removing the bones. The smaller the fish the harder it is to get a forkfull of fish without bones. Large fish like tuna and halibut have large bones that are easy to find and also have a lot of boneless cuts. Hope this helps. A pan size fillet that has had the pin bones removed should be bone free but you will probably pay dearly for it.

Gail
08-02-2000, 05:38 PM
Personally, I've never met a swordfish steak with any bones, nor do I recall meeting up with any in mahimahi. Both are fish usually well received by non-fish enthusiasts. As I general rule, I find the thinner filets (with the exception of catfish) to have more bones, with snapper holding the current title for most embarrassing spits into napkin in a single serving. Needless to say, my son tends to carry on upon learning we are eating snapper. Also, if your store sells fileted trout or steelhead, have the butcher whack off the head (butchers tend to be amused when you word it that way) and toss the thing on the barbecue grill with a little butter and paprika. If you blister the skin a bit, the meat will slide right off the skin and the bony ridge down the center should stay right where it is.

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 08-02-2000).]

bogglefan
08-03-2000, 10:54 AM
Tilapia is a very child (and adult friendly fish). It is mild, usually sold as a filet and there are not bones. I don't like fish that tastes to "fishy" and I cook with Tilapia and Swordfish a lot. The first time I learned about Tilapia was in cooking class where they specifically mentioned it was great to cook for kids because they tend to like the mild taste and no bones.

Lisa 71
08-03-2000, 11:06 AM
Marcie--I have had wonderful results with the fresh frozen orange roughy I can get at my supermarket. We dip the fish in milk and then in some crushed up croutons and flour (3:1 or 4:1) Then drizzle a very little melted butter over the top and bake at 500 for about 15 minutes. It is really a quick and BONELESS way to enjoy fish.
Good luck
Lisa