PDA

View Full Version : Natillas - Dec. CL - page 129

ADM
12-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I am surprised to read the recipe. It includes, and is topped with, raw egg meringue. That seems very unusual, IMHO. Have egg rules changed? :confused:

Robyn1007
12-02-2007, 02:47 PM
It specifically calls for pasteurized eggs which would be considered safe.

ADM
12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Jeez, I read egg whites - without seeing pasteurized! I wonder how many other people might? Or, am I the token dunce? :o

sneezles
12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
And technically if there is no outbreak of Salmonella in your area, you are not suffering from an autoimmune disorder, not elderly, a young child or pregnant then you can consume raw eggs.

Hammster
12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I intend to make these on Christmas Eve as part of the Christmas Eve meal article that the Natillas are in. (Also making the Posole and salad.) Anyway, I thought I'd whip, pipe and bake my egg whites to a nice meringue. Make a nice crunchy top for the Natilla. :D

Robyn1007
12-02-2007, 03:02 PM
:eek: Hamm, you're not making tamales to go with the meal? That might be criminal! ;) :p

Hammster
12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
:eek: Hamm, you're not making tamales to go with the meal? That might be criminal! ;) :p

Robyn, only if you come over to help. :p :D

Robyn1007
12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Robyn, only if you come over to help. :p :D

If I were closer I would happily.

Actually, I'm quite impressed with the article and recipes as they seem quite authentic. At least there are no tomatoes in either of the chile (not chili!) sauces. My favorite posole was from a restaurant I worked in that I don't believe exists any longer and was red chile based instead of green based. But, key is the lime and cilantro.

I should mention that I went to high school in Santa Fe and college in Las Cruces so I think I'm somewhat qualified to judge the authenticity.