PDA

View Full Version : Yeast storage question

veschke
12-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Confession time: I usually throw out the Bakers Catalog without even looking at it, because I just end up pining. :) For some reason, I actually looked at it this time, and aside from a few toys I would love to have, I was astonished to find that their price for yeast is something like 1/4 of what I've been paying. So my question is, how long can you keep yeast in the freezer? A pound would probably last me most of a year. Will it be okay that long?

I've been buying a jar at the grocery store and keeping it in the fridge, and have never had it so long that it stopped working yet, but those are only 4 oz.

HealthyinMN
12-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I buy the "big" bags at the bulk stores and finished one that was in there for a good 16 months or so - the yeast worked just as well as when I bought it!

Gracie
12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I have had success with a large (1 or 2 pounds I forget because it's been that long) bag of yeast that I keep in the freezer. It has to be several years old at this point because I don't make as much bread as I used to.

It's still going strong! I just have the bag in a freezer ziploc - nothing fancy no foodsaver involved.

Loren

veschke
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Excellent, thanks! Now the only question is... what *else* will I buy...?? :)

Beth
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I've bought at Sam's or Costco and kept yeast in an airtight container inthe fridge for a year or two without a problem. My current stash is probably on the longer side now becauase we were without a kitchen for part of last year and too busy to bake a lot since then. I baked yesterday and it was fine.

jessicacoy
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
This is GREAT to know....I've never even considered buying yeast in a larger quantity as I figured it wouldn't have that long of a life. I'm picking up some at Costco next time I am there. I imagine that it is quite cost effective that way!

Miss Giggles
12-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I bought a bag of yeast at Gordon Food Service for like 3.00
I think it was 2 pounds and that was plenty