PDA

View Full Version : Lamb cooking HELP!!!!

snoop1967
01-03-2008, 06:03 PM
I was going to BBQ some lamb loin chops I've had marinating in red wine, garlic and rosemary for 24 hours. However, being the dolt I am, my Q is out of propane and I have zero time to get any!!! If I use the broiler of my oven, can anyone help me with cooking times?? Should I put them on a rack over a pan to broil or broil directly in a pan. Should I flip 1/2 way through?? Any help would be wonderful, thank you. Kevin.

Canice
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I haven't done this in a long time, but I used to just toss the marinated chops on the broiling pan (that is, the two-part deal so the drippings fall through) and I *think* about 7 minutes did it. It never occurred to me to flip them, so I didn't.
I became kind of paranoid about the flying grease under an open flame so I started pan-frying them in a blistering hot cast iron pan. Same result, really, only the grease flies all over the stove and surrounds, rather than all over the oven. ;)

snoop1967
01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Canice, you're a big help! The time you suggested is pretty close to what I would've guessed(3 mins per side). How do you like the stove top in a hot pan as oposed to the oven?? I could go either way. Kevin.

snoop1967
01-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I think I'll take Canice's advice and use my good ol' cast iron skillet. Any suggestions on cooking time for a 1 inch chop cooked to med rare??? Thanks, Kevin.

wallycat
01-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I would treat them similar to thinner pork chops.

Canice
01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, I was in the process of writing a response when my boss called. He wanted to talk business! :eek: ;)
Trusting the pan-fry worked out just fine. I came home, dropped my bag, and headed down to Whole Foods, where lamb chops (both blade and, uhm..the other one) were on sale. I got a nice 8-ounce chop for two bucks! I also snatched a couple of sprigs of rosemary from a neighbor's bush (the rosemary is culinary, but the planting is ornamental. Who knew I was a common criminal?). I'm looking forward to dinner tomorrow: I also bought a garnet "yam", green beans, and cippolini...I'm thinking a nice balsamic glaze? I have some fennel on hand, too: can I incorporate that in my meal or would it be overkill?

snoop1967
01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
The searing hot skillet @ 3 mins per side created a pefect medium rare. Your meal tomorrow sounds great...what time is dinner?? I would leave out the green beans. I know because I had green beans with my dinner! The lamb, cippolini and fennel(which is a good idea)would render the beans obsolete taste-wise. Why not marinate the lamb with the cippolini and then cook the lamb and cippolini together. Fennel done in foil with butter in the oven is heavenly. Butter is a food group all on its own! Kevin.